Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most interesting cities to visit in Connecticut
Hartford 14 34.15%
New Haven 32 78.05%
New Britain 5 12.20%
Middletown 11 26.83%
Bristol 2 4.88%
Waterbury 0 0%
Torrington 1 2.44%
Winsted 0 0%
Meriden 0 0%
Bridgeport 5 12.20%
New London 8 19.51%
Groton 7 17.07%
Norwich 2 4.88%
West Haven 1 2.44%
Danbury 6 14.63%
Milford 9 21.95%
Ansonia 0 0%
Derby 1 2.44%
Shelton 1 2.44%
Stamford 15 36.59%
Norwalk 20 48.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 01:42 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times

Advertisements

I was down in Connecticut last week for a few days as I was in the mood for a Spring road trip. I discovered the charms of Chester. It's adorable, kind of a Hallmark town. I also hung out by the shoreline in Mystic and Niantic for a while and made a stop at Rocky Neck State Park.

For a city, I spent a bit of time in Middletown and had a good look around. There is something very agreeable and likable about this small city. A nicely sized downtown with plenty of activity, scenic riverfront parks, an ideal and convenient location in the state seemingly close to everything with a bit of urban, suburban, and semi rural all close by. It's not bougie, seemingly middle class, not run down, fairly clean, and all around pretty attractive. One of those places that made me say.. yeah I could live here. It must rank somewhere in the top five as far as CT cities go.

I tried to stop in Hartford on my way out as I wanted to walk around Bushnell Park to take the spring blooms, but it was a busy Friday afternoon with no parking to be found anywhere and I was rushed for time. But downtown was not dead by any stretch just from quick observations.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-03-2023 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 08:48 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I was down in Connecticut last week for a few days as I was in the mood for a Spring road trip. I discovered the charms of Chester. It's adorable, kind of a Hallmark town. I also hung out by the shoreline in Mystic and Niantic for a while and made a stop at Rocky Neck State Park.

For a city, I spent a bit of time in Middletown and had a good look around. There is something very agreeable and likable about this small city. A nicely sized downtown with plenty of activity, scenic riverfront parks, an ideal and convenient location in the state seemingly close to everything with a bit of urban, suburban, and semi rural all close by. It's not bougie, seemingly middle class, not run down, fairly clean, and all around pretty attractive. One of those places that made me say.. yeah I could live here. It must rank somewhere in the top five as far as CT cities go.

I tried to stop in Hartford on my way out as I wanted to walk around Bushnell Park to take the spring blooms, but it was a busy Friday afternoon with no parking to be found anywhere and I was rushed for time. But downtown was not dead by any stretch just from quick observations.
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Connecticut. You really saw a lot. Did you stop by the RJ Julia Bookstore or Amato’s Toy Store in Middletown? Thanks for your impressions. It’s nice to see others confirm what some of us have been saying here for years. Jay

Old 05-05-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Connecticut. You really saw a lot. Did you stop by the RJ Julia Bookstore or Amato’s Toy Store in Middletown? Thanks for your impressions. It’s nice to see others confirm what some of us have been saying here for years. Jay
It's always a pleasure to visit Connecticut and uncover new sites, hidden gems, and also re-discover places that I thought I knew, and then have a new perspective. I love independent bookstores, but I didn't make it to RJ Julia or Amato's, so I'll have them on my radar for my next visit.

Sometimes when I surf through various sub-forums on C-D and I pick up that interest could be waning on the site or that the same tiresome discussion points are being recycled and sometimes it can get a bit myopic. But I don't get that sense here and it's nice to see that the CT sub-forum still has a lot of activity and discussion on a different array of topics. It seems that many of the residents there have a vested interest in the state and their communities.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:33 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
It seems that many of the residents there have a vested interest in the state and their communities.
That's the understatement of the centruy Le Monstre. The CT forum regulars here live, sleep and die CT. Their unbridled passion and energy for the state knows no boundaries. I'm serious, and it's not just here online, it's also out in everyday life. If I could count the times people always say words like - we're so blessed, paradise, our forever home, love, OMG love this place, it's unreal.
BobNJ and some Floridians may come on now and then and say thousands are fleeing, and while that's true that thousands will leave for lower taxes, Jesus, and guns, there are 2.5 million give or take that aren't moving an inch, not one muscle, no way.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That's the understatement of the centruy Le Monstre. The CT forum regulars here live, sleep and die CT. Their unbridled passion and energy for the state knows no boundaries. I'm serious, and it's not just here online, it's also out in everyday life. If I could count the times people always say words like - we're so blessed, paradise, our forever home, love, OMG love this place, it's unreal..
And to that I would say this is what C-D and the world needs more of Steve. I appreciate local pride, and moreover being able to discuss it without the accusation of rosie glasses or having your head being buried in the sand. It's more than okay to acknowledge, yeah we have problems here like anywhere but all things considered, life is really good here and we love it. I can totally get onboard with that.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-05-2023 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-05-2023, 11:10 AM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Chester is adorable. Have you been to Essex?

Old 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
It's always a pleasure to visit Connecticut and uncover new sites, hidden gems, and also re-discover places that I thought I knew, and then have a new perspective. I love independent bookstores, but I didn't make it to RJ Julia or Amato's, so I'll have them on my radar for my next visit.

Sometimes when I surf through various sub-forums on C-D and I pick up that interest could be waning on the site or that the same tiresome discussion points are being recycled and sometimes it can get a bit myopic. But I don't get that sense here and it's nice to see that the CT sub-forum still has a lot of activity and discussion on a different array of topics. It seems that many of the residents there have a vested interest in the state and their communities.
Book Barn in Niantic is the used book mecca of CT (and maybe New England).

Old 05-05-2023, 09:48 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Book Barn in Niantic is the used book mecca of CT (and maybe New England).
And there are three or four of them. I was down there last weekend but didn’t get a chance to stop in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut