Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 10:14 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times

Advertisements

What are the differences besides the names and coastal proximity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:46 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
There is only one Stamford. North Stamford is a section of Stamford. It is more wooded, less dense, mostly single family homes on larger lots, and some office parks and light commercial.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:08 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
What could lead to a further confusion and lead some people to think that North Stamford and Stamford are two different municipalities is the position of this sign.

That is southbound on High Ridge Road just south of the Merritt Parkway. Anyone driving south on that road from North Stamford or getting off Exit 35 on the Merritt Parkway southbound and turning right onto High Ridge Road could think that the city of Stamford begins on that spot.

To make matters worse, their is a "Welcome to North Stamford" sign just north of the Merritt Parkway on the northbound side of High Ridge Road.

The same is seen on Long Ridge Road by Exit 34 of the Merritt Parkway.

Don't fool yourself by the actual sign. This is an old photo. All "Welcome to the City of Stamford" signs are like the white one above. This is southbound on Long Ridge Road south of the Merritt Parkway.

Northbound on Long Ridge Road north of the Merritt Parkway.

I think this is done on purpose, perhaps influence from real estate companies. The city of Stamford doesn't begin south of the Merritt Parkway, rather it covers the entire panhandle on a north-south axis from the New York state line to Long Island Sound. The issue isn't with the "Welcome to North Stamford" signs, but rather with those two "Welcome to the City of Stamford" signs which shouldn't exist. If they want the city to begin south of the Merritt Parkway, then North Stamford should become its own municipality and make the Merritt Parkway their southern border with the City of Stamford. Until that happens, the existence of those two "Welcome to the City of Stamford" signs is stupid.

Another possibility is that this has nothing to do with influence from the real estate companies and everything to do with corruption. In many parts of the municipality you will see intersections with an extra traffic light pointed to nowhere. Hmm, do whomever orders these lights gets a commission per traffic light?

For example, this is on the Greenwich/Stamford border in the intersection of Havemeyer Lane and Palmer Hill RD. Can someone tell me the purpose of the extra traffic light which seems to point towards nowhere? Those are Stamford traffic lights as all the ones tied to poles in Greenwich are attached to the poles. Stamford has been changing them from these hanging types to the attached to the poles types, but as can be seen in Google Earth most are still hanging.

I highly doubt the company that sells the traffic lights to the city government had some sort of sale promotion going on at the time these and other traffic lights were bought. I'm thinking a "buy 6 lights, get 1 free" promotion. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-20-2023 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 09:19 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What could lead to a further confusion and lead sone people to think that North Stamford and Stamford are two different municipality is the position of this sign.

That is south bound on High Ridge Road just south of the Merritt Parkway. Anyone driving south on that road from North Stamford or getting off Exit 35 on the Merritt Parkway southboud and turning right onto High Ridge Road could think that the city of Stamford begins on that spot.

To make matters worse, their is a "Welcome to North Stamford" sign just north of the Merritt Parkway on the northbound side of High Ridge Road.

The same is seen on Long Ridge Road by Exit 34 of the Merritt Parkway.

Don't fool yourself by the actual sign. This is an old photo. All "Welcome to the City of Stamford" signs are like the white one above. This is southbound on Long Ridge Road south of the Merritt Parkway,

Northbound on Long Ridge Road north of the Merritt Parkway.

I think this is done on purpose, perhaps influence from real estate companies. The city of Stamford doesn't begin south of the Merritt Parkway, rather it covers the entire panhandle on a north-south axis from the New York state line to Long Island Sound. The issue isn't with the "Welcome to North Stamford" signs, but rather with those two "Welcome to the City of Stamford" signs which shouldn't exist. If they want the city to begin south of the Merritt Parkway, then North Stamford should become its own municipality and make the Merritt Parkway their southern border with the City of Stamford. Until that happens, the existence of those two "Welcome to the City of Stsmford" signs is stupid.
Tone,
Is this like the Southport Rowayton thing they all talk about? Everyone says it's the case but I've personally never heard it myself from people I know there and living in the area. It could just be cliches from outsiders making assumptions I don't know.
Do North Stamford people say they're from North Stamford only?

Old 01-20-2023, 09:38 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Tone,
Is this like the Southport Rowayton thing they all talk about? Everyone says it's the case but I've personally never heard it myself from people I know there and living in the area. It could just be cliches from outsiders making assumptions I don't know.
I have friends in Stamford that either say "We live in North Stamford" or "We live in Shippan"......long pause if they get confused looks....."it's in Stamford".

Old 01-20-2023, 10:16 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have friends in Stamford that either say "We live in North Stamford" or "We live in Shippan"......long pause if they get confused looks....."it's in Stamford".
Yes. Also Glenbrook or Springdale too. Don't hear Bull's Head or Turn of River much though.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:17 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Tone,
There are certain neighborhoods in Stamford that have a strong identity (in some cases I think it's about differentiating a nice neighborhood from a neighboring one that isn't as nice, such would be the case with Shippan Point). Places like Springdale, Glenbrook, North Stamford and a few others are like that. I don't know if Dolphin Cove (private neighborhood) is like that, but I have been there a few times and it's different from neighboring Southfield. If it wasn't that I know this is in Stamford, I would think it was a part of neighboring Greenwich. I would be shocked if the people of Dolphin Cove doesn't make it a point to let everyone know they live in Dolphin Cove vs Stamford or neighboring Southfield.

Concerning the Southport and Fairfield situation, this is true. Years ago I met a few residents of Southport and they corrected me when I said they live in Fairfield and they were quite serious. lol The kicker here is that Fairfield is a very nice town from top to bottom. I can understand when people from Rowayton want to differentiate themselves from the rest of Norwalk, since much of Norwalk isn't particularly as nice. When you are in Rowayton you know it. Don't need a sign for that. Overall, Fairfield is a nicer looking town than Norwalk and many people from Southport still get touchy if you make the "error" of saying they live in Fairfield even though they do. I'm sure I broke some law by saying that, at least I'm sure some Southport people reading this will think that. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-20-2023 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 10:33 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
There are certain neighborhoods in Stamford that have a strong identity (in some cases I think it's about differentiating a nice neighborhood from a neighboring one that isn't as nice, such would be the case with Shippan Point). Places like Springdale, Glenbrook, North Stamford and a few others are like that. I don't know if Dolphin Cove (private neighborhood) is like that, but I have been there a few times and it's different from neighboring Southfield. If it wasn't that I know this is in Stamford, I would think it was a part of neighboring Greenwich. I would be shocked if the people of Dolphin Cove doesn't make it a point to let everyone know they live in Dolphin Cove vs Stamford or neighboring Southfield.

Concerning the Southport and Fairfield situation, this is true. Years ago I met a few residents of Southport and they corrected me when I said they live in Fairfield and they were quite serious. lol The kicker here is that Fairfield is a very nice town from top to bottom. I can understand when people from Rowayton want to differentiate themselves from the rest of Norwalk, since much of Norwalk isn't particularly as nice, but when you are in Rowayton you know it. Don't need a sign for that. Overall, Fairfield is a nicer looking town than Norwalk and many people from Southport still get touchy if you make the "error" of saying they live in Fairfield even though they do. I'm sure I broke some law by saying that, at least I'm sure some Southport people reading this will think that. lol
Hold my beer - says the guy from Huntington when you ask what its like living in Shelton.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
There are certain neighborhoods in Stamford that have a strong identity (in some cases I think it's about differentiating a nice neighborhood from a neighboring one that isn't as nice, such would be the case with Shippan Point). Places like Springdale, Glenbrook, North Stamford and a few others are like that. I don't know if Dolphin Cove (private neighborhood) is like that, but I have been there a few times and it's different from the neighboring Southfield. If it wasn't that I know this is in Stamford, I would think it was a part of neighboring Greenwich. I wouod be shocked if the people of Dolphin Cove doesn't make it a point to let everyone know they live in Dolphin Cove vs Stamford or the neighboring Southfield.

Concerning the Southport and Fairfield situation, this is true. Years ago I met a few residents of Southport and they corrected me when I said they live in Fairfield and they were quite serious. lol The kicker here is that Fairfield is a very nice town from top to bottom. I can understand when people from Rowayton want to differentiate themselves from the rest of Norwalk, since much of Norwalk isn't particularly nice but when you are in Rowayton, you know it. Don't need a sign for that. Overall Fairfield is a nicer looking town than Norwalk and many people from Southport still get touchy if you make the "error" of saying they live in Fairfield even though they do. I'm sure I broke some law by saying that, at least I'm sure some Southport people reading this will think that. lol
I disagree, I think many parts of Norwalk are just as nice, but I'm there a lot, you and others may not be. That might be the old days of thinking when CT was more right repub leaning. Nowadays are very different in the County and State.
The central part near US 1 is similar to the part of Fairfield near Black Rock and over by Kohls near Bridgeport. It's most certainly nicer than Stamford overall IMO, that's not even a question.
I know people in both towns in and out of Rowayton and Southport and they love it to tears. You should hear the things these people say, the messages, the pics. I can't recall ever being corrected by anyone.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
because half the time it sounds like they say we live in S#@tpan

When I worked in the city the executives that did not live in Darien, Weston, Fairfield or Greenwich would always say we live "north of the city".
Shippan is great, one of the cities few bright spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut