Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:15 AM

7,105 posts, read 3,858,925 times

Advertisements

All I meant was the west has more natural landscape diversity and beauty than the east. Better skiing conditions is a palpable fact. Southern VT ice and slush are torn ACLs in the making.

What makes one ice cream place better than another?
I can tell you right now I will take a Hood or Friendlys ice cream sandwich out of a Stop and Shop frozen section over a Butter Pecan or Coton Candy or Grapenut from an Arethusian or Ferris or Rich Farms, and I’ve never been to any of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 11:18 AM

21,895 posts, read 28,275,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
All I meant was the west has more natural landscape diversity and beauty than the east. Better skiing conditions is a palpable fact. Southern VT ice and slush are torn ACLs in the making.

I can tell you right now I will take a Hood or Friendlys ice cream sandwich out of a Stop and Shop frozen section over a Butter Pecan or Coton Candy or Grapenut from an Arethusian or Ferris or Rich Farms, and I’ve never been to any of them
Steve, ice cream eater for the People

Old 04-27-2024, 12:00 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,689,685 times
Quote:

Steve, there’s a lot that goes into making ice cream places that have good ice cream.

In general for really good ice cream, you want a butterfat percentage of around 14-18. Depending on how much you use other ingredients, but the ratio between the butterfat, creaminess, richness, and flavor needs to be perfect for it to be good. You also cannot use artificial ingredients (all must be natural). Then the ingredients should be as fresh as possible. As a general rule, ice cream made from farms have way fresher and more natural ingredients, which makes farms produce great ice cream. However, that’s not the case with all farms necessarily.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:39 AM

4,500 posts, read 3,396,217 times
Quote:
I have to disagree. Really good ice cream is proof that God really loves us. It is my Achilles heel when it comes to my diet. Especially mint chocolate chip.

It is also the reason I am on a diet right now and looking at this thread is REALLY hard.

The other thing is the ice cream in the grocery store is full of chemicals now. Breyers used to be an all natural ice cream but now it is all full of chemicals too.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:09 AM

7,105 posts, read 3,858,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I have to disagree. Really good ice cream is proof that God really loves us. It is my Achilles heel when it comes to my diet. Especially mint chocolate chip.

It is also the reason I am on a diet right now and looking at this thread is REALLY hard.

The other thing is the ice cream in the grocery store is full of chemicals now. Breyers used to be an all natural ice cream but now it is all full of chemicals too.
I'm sure mint chocolate chip at Aretusia is better than mint chocoalte chip at Shoprite, I get that part.
I would still choose a Hood ice cream sandwich or the vanilla/chocolate little cups that come in those sleeves over Aretusian's or Walnut's butterscoth or pecan rasberry or almond delight, and sorry folks but coffee ice cream is just flat out gross.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:31 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,457,839 times
If you are ever in Putnam, check out Main St. Gelato

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-20-2024, 10:52 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,689,685 times
Has anyone here been to Fenwick Ice Cream in Old Saybrook? That's another one on my list to try. Never been, but my gut says it could be top notch.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:55 AM

I did Rich Farm a second time. I got vanilla chocolate chip. It had meager chips and I could barely taste the vanilla. It just tasted like I was eating frozen milk. Texture was average. Place sucks. I'm sorry. I really think people get caught up in the farm atmosphere.

A friend from the area said Whittemore in Seymour was always better. Haven't tried.

Walnut Beach is still our overall favorite.

Old 05-20-2024, 11:09 AM

10,269 posts, read 15,138,150 times
This about ice cream places in many areas of Connecticut appeared in my Facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/qkuxucTKzYZPx96H/?

Old 05-20-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This about ice cream places in many areas of Connecticut appeared in my Facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/qkuxucTKzYZPx96H/?
Missing all the New Haven spots. Ashley's is solid, and Arethusa and Elena's on Orange (soft serve) are quite good.

Gioia also has a good gelato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut