Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 AM

31 posts, read 144,888 times

Advertisements

Just for kicks...

I was curious to know if any of you guys heard about the legend of the melonheads in CT. Growing up I heard different variations about the legend. The most common one was that these big-headed little cannibals lived in the woods surrounding the easton reservoir on the trumbull / easton border. In high school, to give ourselves a big scare, we would drive up to Trumbull at night down a dirt road called velvet street, but locally known as "Dracula drive" hoping to see them. I hear high school kids in the area still do this. We never did see any, but I was just curious if anyone has heard of this legend. Any different variations? Some claim "Dracula drive" to be in Shelton or Monroe. One other variation linked the melon heads to a mental hospital in Newtown... I think? Any clues on the origins of this legend? Has anyone seen one? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 AM

79 posts, read 304,100 times
I grew up in Bridgeport and was always told that there was some sort of facility to treat and house the hydrocephalics ('melonheads') deep in the bowels of Roosevelt Forest in Stratford.

I think I first heard about it at age 11 on a Boy Scout camping trip to that very place, told to me by older scouts.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 16,034 times
I think there are legends like that everywhere- We had stories of them in the Oxford area, too. I am pleased to report we have never been troubled by them.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
The legends are still alive and well; my teenagers in Monroe have heard of them. My son has heard about the melon heads, my daughter has heard of Dracula Drive. Neither of them know the exact legends or locations, other than that they are supposed to be in the Monroe area. Of course they don't believe them, it's just a story kids pass around for fun.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Default Wow this brings back memories

Wow this brings back memories

Grew up in Trumbull, and heard about the legends. All were totally untrue.

Never the less we heard it was a few escapees from Fairfield Hills State Mental Hospital in Newtown; which by the way had people escape from there all the time.

I was at a restaurant in Newtown once when the cops came in and took a lady back to FHSMH - she had just walked off the grounds, and walked into the downstairs bar of an Inn/Restaurant.

Anyway - and this is not politically correct or socially acceptable to me - but the legend was the term mellon head refered to some violent residents that had escaped Fairfield hills who had the physical head/face manifestations of severe Downs, and no impulse control.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
As a kid I heard of the mellonheads. The area they lived I thought was southern Newtown/northern Monroe in a swampy backwoods area. Friends also talked if similar people in northern Stratford/southern Shelton. Never heard of Dracula Drive though. Jay

Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As a kid I heard of the mellonheads. The area they lived I thought was southern Newtown/northern Monroe in a swampy backwoods area.
This is where Fairfield Hills was.

Quote:
Friends also talked if similar people in northern Stratford/southern Shelton.
I never head the story about anything in that direction, but rumors spread. LOL

Quote:
Never heard of Dracula Drive though. Jay
The story goes on to say there was a dirt road into the swampy area. The escapees would watch the dirt road. By the way the escapees liked to bite, hence "Dracula" drive. Kids would go down the dirt road and stop the car. The boys would need to step outside and fake a scream, and throw their hands against the car window, as if they were being bitten. This would cause terrified girls to jump into their boyfriends arms.

I never did the Dracula Drive thing but know of kids who did.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Kids would go down the dirt road and stop the car. The boys would need to step outside and fake a scream, and throw their hands against the car window, as if they were being bitten. This would cause terrified girls to jump into their boyfriends arms.
Okay, I'm betting this was a legend begun by boys. ROFL

Old 06-11-2008, 01:26 AM

31 posts, read 144,888 times
This is fun. Thanks to everyone who responded. It is so funny to see how many different towns claim to have them, but it seems that this legend is only alive in eastern fairfield county. I just wikied it and it seems that Ohio and Michigan have their own versions too.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,491 times
I grew up in Trumbull (elementary, middle and highschool). Dracula Drive is indeed velvet rd, going from trumbull to the monroe border. The road was odd in few ways, it began at regular width and rather quickly narrowed with the yellow lines fading toward one side of the street and then quickly turning to dirt. At that time (8 years ago) it was 90% dirt for it's length and had only one house on top of the hill on it's right side (going from trumbull toward monroe). This or the woods to the left, were where the melonheads were rumored to live. There was also a very large and very dead tree on the left side of the road, it was cut off at height between 10-15 feet and this tree was rumored to be haunted or marking a haunted spot. Here is where it was custom to park the car, turn off the lights and get out until someone started getting scared. Here is also where we'd always bet each other to walk the rest of the way on foot (no one ever did). I haven't been down it in years, but I think it's mostly paved now and has more houses.

That was the story passed around, hope it helps, made for a few fun late night rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut