Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 AM

28 posts, read 195,499 times

Advertisements

A job was offered to me in New Britain, we are currently in Washington DC and trying to look for good schools in other states as well as better career opportunities. The said job is in New Britain but we are clueless on where we should find an apartment or if possible purchase a new home. I need to be at the most 10 minutes away from the hospital (New Britain General Hospital in Grand Street) so i can attend to emergency cases when they call me in.

We would really appreciate any honest comments to this matter. Thank you for everyone's consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 AM

108 posts, read 218,917 times
Default Wouldn't recommed New Britain

I've lived in the New Britain area for 50 years. New Briaint is NOT a good town to live. There's a lot of crime and it's dirtly. There are some good neighborhoods. You can get ALOT of home for not alot of money...but the taxes are extremly high in New Britain. I lived in New Britain for 40 years...due to the increasing crime, I moved to a neighboring town 10 years ago and feel A LOT safer. As far as renting in New Britain....most of the rental, I'd stay away from...once again...you can find a decent rent but they are hard to find.

Surrounding towns that might be of interest....Plainville, Berlin, Newington....those would be the closest to NBGH although these towns do not have too many rentals.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:41 AM

thank you very much Cindy! In your own honest opinion, how "bad" and dirty is New Britain? Is Berlin a good town or how about Rocky Hill, How far are they from NBGH? How's the traffic/ commute from place to place in CT? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:17 AM

Default New Britain

My opinion (and probably the opinion of the majority of people from this area) I wouldn't recommend New Britain. Once again there are some good areas....but the majority....not good. There's alot of crime..the school system is horrible...the taxes are extremely high...there's alot of what-we-call...projects in New Britain (bad...bad...bad!!). There are quite of few neighborhoods where homeowners don't keep up the property...sorry to offend the good people who live in N.B.

Berlin/Kensington is kind of pricey...nice place to live.

Rocky Hill is nice...not too sure about real estate prices...It'll be quite a commute from Rocky Hill to NBGH especially if you travel during rush hour...there's alot of traffic congestion getting from Rocky Hill to New Britan no matter when.

The traffic congestion has grown over the past years and there will always be some....depends what time of day you travel.....

Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsadc View Post
thank you very much Cindy! In your own honest opinion, how "bad" and dirty is New Britain? Is Berlin a good town or how about Rocky Hill, How far are they from NBGH? How's the traffic/ commute from place to place in CT? Thanks!
Berlin, and especially the Kensington section of Berlin, are only 5 to 15 minutes from New Britain General. Rocky Hill is probably 15 - 25 depending on where in Rocky Hill. Another area that is often overlooked is Newington.

Here's a run down of current listed properties:
Berlin - 95 single-family properties available
$139,900 - LOW
$354,900 - MEDIAN
$750,000 - HIGH

Newington - 74 single-family properties available
$164,900 - LOW
$259,900 - MEDIAN
$629,900 - HIGH

Rocky Hill - 41 single-family properties available
$199,900 - LOW
$327,000 - MEDIAN
$899,900 - HIGH

Let me know if you want more information.

Rich

Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 AM

thanks again, how about Southington? NBGH merged with the hospital in Southington. Is Southington a place to be?

Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Southington

Southington is nice...has some rural..hospital is located near the center of Soutington...Southington and the surrounding towns ALOT nicer than New Britain

Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 AM

Rich lee, seems like you can help us in the future in real estate. Are you a realtor? Thanks again guys!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM

Plainville, Newington and Kensington / Berlin, That really narrows my choices. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also considering schools. (We have a 3 yr old for Pre-K and a new baby coming this May).
You guys are a big help! Hope you guys don't get tired of helping us out here in regards to critical choices. I can clearly see that considering you guys as total strangers, you guys are far far far better strangers considering people here in Maryland . Sorry to say coming from a Marylander,but it really is true. Thanks guys! Might as well call you folks since I've been falling for Ct!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonsadc View Post
Rich lee, seems like you can help us in the future in real estate. Are you a realtor? Thanks again guys!
Yes, I am, in Cheshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut