Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM

10,071 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
My wife worked there till a few years back. The best description I can think of is ghetto. The park is nice tho.
Yeah, it's pretty rough down there. There's so much potential, though. With good leadership, the area could really turn into a gem in the next few years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 57,148 times
Thanks for the input. I think it will be better to take my car to UB, sounds like that would be safer. Which area is better for shopping (food, etc). Do you have to drive to another town for that?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM

I have to also add that their are many colleges that have ended up in areas that have changed over time and are not so safe. The University Of Houston is in a very dangerous area. On campus students are safe...once you step off campus it can be very dangerous.... many area's that once were safe around colleges have become very undesirable area's, From what I understand Yale is also in an area that is also dangerous. It is interesting that The University of Bridgeport is the fastest growing University in CT even with the problems around the campus. I think that reflects well on UB...it must be offering what students are looking for. The Masters and PHD programs are awesome. Hopefully the area around UB will continue to grow and regain some of it's former glory. Having decent housing and a safe environment would help greatly!!!! All of this of course would help Bridgeport in the long run become a city that would once more have some respect.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Hey~ do the Moonies still own UB?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM

I have not come in contact with any "moonies". I find it interesting that so many people are hung up on the moonie thing. I guess it's the fear of the unknown. It' a religion like many others. It's not a secret that they helped out UB in a very difficult time. I am not interested in the religion. (I am catholic) The University no longer needs their support. I think it's time to move on from all that. The crime issue in CT has more of an impact for out of state student than the moonie thing! (It' old news)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Shopping in Bridgeport area

I would appreciate any input on safe area's to shop in the Bridgeport area. From what I have read on this site it may be better to go to the sorrounding towns. If anyone could tell me the safest mall and grocery store that would be great. I don't plan on going out at night by myself and I will be bringing my car. From all the information I have heard I think it is safer to have a car. I would greatly apprecitate any input and thank you for alerting me to to the problems around the area. I hope it will all go well and I still feel for what my goals are UB is a good fit. Maybe things will improve while I'm there. It sounds like Bridgeport has alot of potential and I hope that things move in a positive direction.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM

113 posts, read 364,917 times
trumbull mall is quite safe. you can easily get there from bpt by heading north on main st or madison avenue. there are also 'stop and shop' grocery stores on main st, madison ave, fairfield ave (towards black rock) and tunxis hill.

i go to seaside park for my morning or evening walks at least 3 times a week. i bring my camera and manage to capture some very nice pics. it's beautiful there watching the ferry coming in to dock and the sailboats and people enjoying nature. here's a couple i took last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Area around university of bridgeport-seaside-007.jpg   Area around university of bridgeport-seaside-012.jpg  

Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 PM

trumbull mall is quite safe. you can easily get there from bpt by heading north on main st or madison avenue. there are also 'stop and shop' grocery stores on main st, madison ave, fairfield ave (towards black rock) and tunxis hill.

i go to seaside park for my morning or evening walks at least 3 times a week. i bring my camera and manage to capture some very nice pics. it's beautiful there watching the ferry coming in to dock and the sailboats and people enjoying nature. here's a couple i took last week.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
there are also 'stop and shop' grocery stores on main st, madison ave, fairfield ave (towards black rock)
How did that one on Fairfield Ave. turn out? I know many people were surprised that S&S went that far down the Ave. I'm curious because i've never seen an S&S in an inner-city location. I've been to Madison and Main and they're both fine.

The closest supermarket for the OP would be the A&P at Park and North. They seem to have good sales, however i'd be reluctant to go there, but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM

to be honest when the one on fairfield ave first opened i said i'd go take a peek but only during daylite hours. lol. my stepmother lives close by it and would always tell me about these great sales and prices. when i finally went, their prices were different to the one closer to me (tunxis hill). for instance milk there is $3.39 a gallon. i paid $4.33 today at a&p and i think it's $3.99 at the other stop and shop. i see ppl from the pt housing projects (yes i can tell) shopping side by side with ppl from say, further down the line. a&p is closest to me and i curse everytime i go in that stinking store with it's cars for sale in the parking lot and ppl outside begging for money... BUT you're right they sure do have some good sales which keeps me coming back.

last week i walked with the baby in the stroller and had to lift the bloody thing over the bars that prevent the carriage steeling, then had to call the manager when i was ready to leave to 'let me out' thru the padlocked section. oh and i was told there were no baskets cause they all got stolen a while back i actually told them how sad i was this was my neighbourhood store. took a pic of that too!
Attached Thumbnails
Area around university of bridgeport-p1.jpg   Area around university of bridgeport-p.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut