Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
With the economy the way it is, I do not think that they do exist. Connecticut's economy is more stable than most other states. We do not get hit by recessions as hard as other states do and our businesses have higher expenses because there is more money here. More money means a better chance to suceed. Anyway, I will agree that Connecticut in general could be more business friendly. I guess the feeling is we do not have to be. Jay
I agree that the rest of the nation is currently worse off.

I just got back from Santa Cruz last week for a wedding. There were strip malls one after another with vacant storefronts, much more than I've seen in the most depressed cities here. Who knows, maybe since we're usually the last to be hit by a recession, it'll come here next - but it was really depressing. A family member out there just bought a foreclosed home for dirt cheap as well.

CT could be doing better, but it's not doing as bad as it could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If you want to see vacant storefronts, take a walk around the center of New Canaan. Quite a few spaces have opened up over the last 6 months.
Really? I was up there in May and saw several that had closed shop. I'll have to go back and check it out. I just read that Linen and Things is closing, as is Bennigan's restaurant chain.
As the economy continues to sour, I suppose we can look for more store closings to come.
I do agree that CT probably has it better than a lot of states, though. I read this morning that several large stores on Fifth Ave in NYC have been vacant for 2 yrs, trying to attract a large tenant with no success. Must be nationwide for sure at this point.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 PM

163 posts, read 374,897 times
Cool Who's we??

Quote:
I guess the feeling is we do not have to be. Jay

That's a dumb arrogant answer . Your rebuttle makes absolutly no sense at all. Try it sometime maybe you would understand how the little guy feels these days trying to survive. Oyveh!

Last edited by JayCT; 07-31-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: No insults

Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
With the economy the way it is, I do not think that they do exist. Connecticut's economy is more stable than most other states. We do not get hit by recessions as hard as other states do and our businesses have higher expenses because there is more money here. More money means a better chance to suceed. Anyway, I will agree that Connecticut in general could be more business friendly. I guess the feeling is we do not have to be. Jay
Jay we agree

Connecticut will fare better then many of those once fast growing booming states like Florida, Nevada, Arizona & California. These states economies where based primarily on low interest rates and in migrants seeking 'paradise'. Sadly to say there is no free lunch anywhere.

I am not 'old money' nor rich and struggle much- but I know these so called other areas where it is 'better' I might be worse off.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:18 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
That's a dumb arrogant answer . Your rebuttle makes absolutly no sense at all. Try it sometime maybe you would understand how the little guy feels these days trying to survive. Oyveh!
I think you misunderstood my post. By "we" I mean Connecticut in general. Connecticut is a wealthy state and there is a feeling in most towns and cities that new development is not needed and should be limited. Even major cities turn their noses up at development. Look at Waterbury. A utility wants to build a power plant there and residents are fighting it. I have seen similar situations in Bridgeport, New Haven and New Britain, all of which could certainly use the added tax base. I have seen major developments proposed on sites zoned for years for commercial development that has been fought long and hard by neighbors. Even the State is constantly looking to get as much out of a developer when they build something as they can when it is the other way around in other states. What company in their right mind would move to a state that does this when other states offer a much easier way to development.

As for your other comments, well you do not know me. I am not weathy and I am a little guy too. I too would like to see more opportunity for people and that was the point of my post. Jay

Old 07-31-2008, 02:38 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. By "we" I mean Connecticut in general. Connecticut is a wealthy state and there is a feeling in most towns and cities that new development is not needed and should be limited. Even major cities turn their noses up at development. Look at Waterbury. A utility wants to build a power plant there and residents are fighting it. I have seen similar situations in Bridgeport, New Haven and New Britain, all of which could certainly use the added tax base. I have seen major developments proposed on sites zoned for years for commercial development that has been fought long and hard by neighbors. Even the State is constantly looking to get as much out of a developer when they build something as they can when it is the other way around in other states. What company in their right mind would move to a state that does this when other states offer a much easier way to development.

As for your other comments, well you do not know me. I am not weathy and I am a little guy too. I too would like to see more opportunity for people and that was the point of my post. Jay
Great reply to an unfair post. I fully agree with you - it us unfortunate for small business owners.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM

163 posts, read 374,897 times
Default One more minor point.

Quote:
As for your other comments, well you do not know me.
DITTO

Ct is on par with Nevada in the corruption department also.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Really unfortunate situation....

Perhaps all states/cities in US (and anywhere in world) waste much of tax revenue due to corruption/waste/ineptitude....and paying for mistakes of some who choose to have kids they can't afford, never learned to read/count/think, etc....

In this difficult economy, high-tax regions like NYC/CA will try to raise taxes on so-called affluent taxpayers (really many middle-class wage earners/small business owners)....most truly affluent hedge fund guys, etc have many high-priced advisors to legally find loopholes and/or can easily change residency to lower-tax locales (some will even flee Greenwich for London)....

And most well-educated, middle-income people have zero desire to live in an allegedly low-tax, low COL place like Dallas/Houston.....life's too short....

Old 07-31-2008, 10:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Connecticut is a wealthy state and there is a feeling in most towns and cities that new development is not needed and should be limited. Even major cities turn their noses up at development. Look at Waterbury. ... What company in their right mind would move to a state that does this when other states offer a much easier way to development.
These are important points. When times are flush economically, it's pretty easy to be selective and enforce upscale only development. But when money is tight, those policies (which enforce the intended quality of life issues in a town) begin to hurt a little or a lot.

High rents, high taxes, lots of regulations, and high wage rates all combine to make small business hard in places like CT. It doesn't matter so much when economic times are good, but in weaker economic conditions it becomes more apparent.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
These are important points. When times are flush economically, it's pretty easy to be selective and enforce upscale only development. But when money is tight, those policies (which enforce the intended quality of life issues in a town) begin to hurt a little or a lot.
Here in Connecticut, it is rare that there are "hard times" for the majority of people. This makes it really difficult on the ones that are struggling. Little things add up and hurt the small guys but we (as a State) tend to ignore this becuase there are so many that do so well. It is one of the problems we must face. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut