Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:03 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for IT jobs down here in NC for the past 8 months with very little luck. After talking with a few friends back up in the Hartford area, I was referred for 3 jobs at my old company and a 4th job at another company. All of the job opportunities seem to be panning out and as of the last time I spoke with HR, they were putting together an offer for one job, I have a second interview scheduled for another and I have a face to face when I am up in CT next week for the third. All pay very well, more than here in NC, so that is a plus not to mention there looks to be a career path at these places (which is non-existent at my current company). The ironic part is that a dark horse candidate emerged down here at the last second and I have scheduled job interviews with them as well. I will weigh out the best opportunity and make a decision from there but there are so many things to consider.

But it looks as if a move back to CT will be in order as I believe the best opportunity lies up there. Finally after 3 years of living in my own personal hell called NC, I see a light in the horizon. I look forward to getting back to the beauty of New England, the much more relaxed atmosphere, my family and friends, the not so oppressive heat, having a yard for my kids to play in and leaving the countless strip malls and sprawl! Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:06 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Hope all goes well for you BH

best of luck in your interviews.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks Trek! I am actually amazed at how quickly all this is happening and the response I have been getting from companies up there.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Congrats and I am jealous. 1 Year and a few months left until my return

Old 08-16-2008, 02:57 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
Best of luck to you!

My husband and I are looking for a way to move up to CT - it'll be closer to family, I miss miss miss the seasons and like you, we're both so completely exhausted of the south's oppressive heat. Nothing quite like stepping outside at 2:00 a.m. and the temperature is 79 degrees with 70% humidity. *choke*

mlassof, I'm sure you can relate to the heat...

Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks very much. I cut my lawn yesterday as I had to do it before vacation. I was completely soaked by the time I was done. This year the humidity seems to be far worse down here although we have had nowhere near the number of days of 100+ degree weather.

Of course my father in law was trying to steer me away from moving back. I would prefer that he be a little more objective about the whole matter but his judgement is clouded at this point.

Just looking forward to a visit to CT this week and a successful set of interviews and an even better golf tournament that my brother and I are running. Wish us luck for good weather on Friday too!

mlassof - best of luck with your move too. Kitty, what is holding you back from moving back anyway?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:51 AM

OK, it is official - I have received the offer and we will be accepting and moving back!! I will more than likely have to come up first of all by myself so that is going to make the transition period tough. Once we sell the house down here, everyone else will come back up and we will find the place to live. Luckily, I can stay with the family up here. Best part is the bump in pay was large and they will be paying for relocation costs and then some.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
OK, it is official - I have received the offer and we will be accepting and moving back!! I will more than likely have to come up first of all by myself so that is going to make the transition period tough. Once we sell the house down here, everyone else will come back up and we will find the place to live. Luckily, I can stay with the family up here. Best part is the bump in pay was large and they will be paying for relocation costs and then some.
Congrats! I know it's something you've been wanting to do for a while.

Welcome home.

Now you get to join the fight to take our state back from the idiots in our legislature and governors office. We need to get this state back on track and lower property taxes.

If you need anything at all just DM...

Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Bighouse,

Why do you not like NC. I am curious, because my wife and I drove from CT to NC in July to check it out, to see what we thought about NC and to see how much further our money would go. We looked at Raleigh and a lot of the research Triangle area. It seemed OK, but we didnt fall in love with it, so we decided to stay in CT.

Blakesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I have been searching for IT jobs down here in NC for the past 8 months with very little luck. After talking with a few friends back up in the Hartford area, I was referred for 3 jobs at my old company and a 4th job at another company. All of the job opportunities seem to be panning out and as of the last time I spoke with HR, they were putting together an offer for one job, I have a second interview scheduled for another and I have a face to face when I am up in CT next week for the third. All pay very well, more than here in NC, so that is a plus not to mention there looks to be a career path at these places (which is non-existent at my current company). The ironic part is that a dark horse candidate emerged down here at the last second and I have scheduled job interviews with them as well. I will weigh out the best opportunity and make a decision from there but there are so many things to consider.

But it looks as if a move back to CT will be in order as I believe the best opportunity lies up there. Finally after 3 years of living in my own personal hell called NC, I see a light in the horizon. I look forward to getting back to the beauty of New England, the much more relaxed atmosphere, my family and friends, the not so oppressive heat, having a yard for my kids to play in and leaving the countless strip malls and sprawl! Wish me luck!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:13 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Bighouse,

Why do you not like NC. I am curious, because my wife and I drove from CT to NC in July to check it out, to see what we thought about NC and to see how much further our money would go. We looked at Raleigh and a lot of the research Triangle area. It seemed OK, but we didnt fall in love with it, so we decided to stay in CT.

Blakesq
Do a search in this forum and see what both BigHouse and Myself (Another who moved back from NC) had to say. You'll get a ton of info. (If you go to the main CT forum look in the top right hand corner and you'll see "Search This Forum" That will help you narrow down the results.)

I absolutely hated NC. Hated it...and I'm a "right wing religous" person so you'd figure I would be in heaven right? Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut