Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM

181 posts, read 866,582 times

Advertisements

What taxes are deducted from your paychecks? Does the employer deduct New York State tax, and then you, as a resident of CT, file a state income tax return, getting back anything you overpaid to New York? I realize New York City taxes aren't taken out, but I just wanted to make sure that BOTH New York State and Connecticut State taxes aren't taken out of every check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,877 times
I don't believe that you pay state income tax to states you do not work in, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

588 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
What taxes are deducted from your paychecks? Does the employer deduct New York State tax, and then you, as a resident of CT, file a state income tax return, getting back anything you overpaid to New York? I realize New York City taxes aren't taken out, but I just wanted to make sure that BOTH New York State and Connecticut State taxes aren't taken out of every check.
This is definitely a question for your accountant. I believe that you get CT state taxes taken out, but when you do your filing the forms should show if you overpaid or underpaid. CT and NY have a reciprocity with taxes, so they true-up any overage or underage by themselves. Also, I'm pretty sure that you DO need to file NYC taxes. Again - ask your accountant. If you don't have one, get one!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,419 times
We live in CT and my husband started his job in MA, he was paying MA state tax, then when he moved to the CT office he changed to CT taxes, from my understanding you are suppossed to pay taxes in the State you live in, but some employers do it the other way around, as long as your paying taxes to someone it can be sorted out a tax time.

If you work in NYC and live in CT, and you are paying NYC taxes, you will have to file tax returns in both NYC and CT. You will have either CT or NYC taxes coming of your salary not both. You'll know when your employer asks you to fill out the tax forms it will either have NYC or CT on it.

Now that my husband is living and working in CT he only files CT tax returns, this year will be kinda weird as we started off in CA, then a couple of months in MA and finally CT, were gonna need a good accountant lol

I'm sure any good accountant will be able to keep you right, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut