Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 36,555 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to from Seattle to Connecticut, and I fear I will have a weather shock when I get there. I will be moving to New Hartford area, and wondered how much difference is the weather, really?? Thanks

KK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
New Hartford, located about 18 miles NW of Hartford is in the hills of western CT- where Hartford is in the Connecticut river Valley. Snowfall will be higher in New Hartford compared to Hartford, because of its elevation. Hartford averages 40-45" a year- some years more, other years less. Last winter was 'average' with 40" the year before with 20" was below average.

Hartford may see rain in the winter from some storms, but New Hartford May see snow. Sometimes in the winter New Hartford may see a foot of snow, Hartford a few inches, while in the states southeast corner along the coast, mostly all rain. Connecticut is small, but has many micro climates.

Seattle's climate is more temperate- called A Temperate Oceanic 'Do' by climate classification- with mild but damp cloudy winters. CT has a Humid continental climate north west and west of Hartford, with cold winters and hot humid summers and a Humid subtropical climate, with milder winters and warm to hot humid summers to the south and southeast of the capital city.

Winters will be colder here, though far sunnier. Summers will be considerably more hot and humid then the Pacific NW.
The states mildest climate is along the shoreline and the south eastern part of the state around Groton/New London.

The period from mid to late August to late November is the most pleasant time of the year with warm to mild to cool sunny weather. Springs are capricious and unpredictable- though in many ways as colorful as autumn with flowers and trees coming back to life after the winter.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-07-2008 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 36,555 times
Thanks! That is very helpful. I am sure the snow/cold will be an adjustment, but summer's will be more of an adjustment I think.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumnavigator View Post
Thanks! That is very helpful. I am sure the snow/cold will be an adjustment, but summer's will be more of an adjustment I think.
Perhaps- the cold here is not nearly as intense as the Midwest- - and rarely lasts as long. Temperatures below zero are becoming less common in the winter.

This past summer saw heat and humid conditions in part of June and most of July- August was pleasant. The weather this week is sublime 70s by day, chilly by night.

You will have to adjust to 'sweating' here in the summer.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Usually in CT we have about 4 snow storms per year ( storm = > 4 inches of snow). New hartford is nice becuase when it snows you can go cross country skiing on the trails along Riverton.

New Hartford is in the less populated north western part of ct. You get slightly more snow there then the rest of the state. Usually the coldest part of winter is the 1st or 2nd week of January. It usually will get down to the teens (Fahrenheit). A lot of the time when it snows it melts quickly over the next few days. Also winters have varied over the years, some times it gets cold and others it is more mild with less snow.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
I hate snow!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I hate snow!
Want to trade homes? I live in Phoenix and miss the snow! lol

Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Want to trade homes? I live in Phoenix and miss the snow! lol
LOL...yes willing to trade homes. The only thing i don't like about the snow is when my 20 minute commute to work turns into an hour!!! Then, when I get home I don't want to leave.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Yes, that would suck to say the least. Maybe I should make sure to move close to my job. lol
The only thing you have to worry about in 110 degrees is your car over heating. And I admit to never having to shovel anything but rock. lol

Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 PM

13 posts, read 49,066 times
New Hartford CT, like most of New England, is a great place to live. You will experience each of the four seasons as God created them to be enjoyed.

The real question though is, will you be supporting the Boston Red Sox or the dreaded Yankees?

Chuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut