Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

I moved to CT in Sept. 2006 for grad school. This past Sept. I received a parking ticket for being parked overtime (even though I wasn't) but the parking officer wrote down the wrong information on the ticket. I went to the Fairfield police station and they told me that since the guy had written down the correct license plate #, it didn't matter that the rest of the information was wrong, and the ticket was still valid. I had to fill out an appeal, even though it should have been thrown out.

A week or so later I received a letter from the city of Bridgeport telling me that I was being investigated for tax liability for the years that I was in CT while in school. Since I was only in CT temporarily I did not register my car here and was never told I would have to pay any sort of tax if I was only here temporarily and my car was still registered in NY.

I sent a letter to the city and they responded with a very nasty letter highlighting all the ways in which I was wrong and they were right. But there is so much evidence in my favor, I think, and I'm upset about the fact that I'm still getting screwed in the end.

They said there was no connection with the investigation and the ticket, yet I've never had a problem until now. They say they have it documented that I've been living in CT since 8/1/06, but I moved here on 9/3/06. If they don't even know how long I've been here, how can they make me pay? What about all of those other students at universities that live here while they are in school? Why aren't they being targeted like I am? I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

I'm sorry for the incredibly long post, I just really need some answers. I am currently unemployed and have new expenses to pay every day. No one will give me an answer as to how much the city will make me pay. Is it even worth it to get a lawyer to try to fight this?

Please, if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
If I understand you correctly, you are a grad student currently and have been since September 2006 in CT? What is your living situation? Are you living in University accommodation or private rented accommodation with your name on a lease? If you are renting out a place as a leasee and have been for a minimum of 6 months, I believe you would be a resident and would be levied tax on personal property. If you are living in halls owned by a school, then you would not be considered resident and would not have to pay taxes.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
If you were a resident most of the year the past two years, you are probably responsible for car taxes. Hopefully someone here can refute that if you were living on campus, I hope so for your sake. Connecticut is very hard to fight when it comes to car taxes, and they report you to the DMV if you are delinquent. Then you cannot renew your registration, and you might have your license suspended, even if you are registered in NY. Not sure if Ct. will report you to NY or not, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

Several years ago, my dh had a car that wasn't running, and we had no intention of getting it repaired in the near future. It was registered in the state of Ct. We canceled the insurance since the car wasn't being driven. A few months later dh got a letter in the mail stating that he had to appear in court, and his driver's license was suspended for dropping his insurance. He went to court and tried to fight it, but the judge wouldn't listen and dh lost his license for one month. Honestly, the DMV is the devil.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 14,094 times
Hi and thanks for responding. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, this whole situation has my head spinning.

I was in grad. school from Sept. 2006 until May 2008. I had to get an apartment off-campus, because the university didn't offer on-campus housing for graduate students. I would have thought that, because of that, someone would have mentioned to me about registering, or property taxes, etc.

I had planned on going back to NY after graduation, but seriously injured my back and am now stuck here. I'm unemployed and the doctors wont let me even look for a job.

What's really getting to me is that, had I gone back to NY after graduation, I highly doubt I would be going through all of this. I only got a letter from the city after I received the parking with the wrong information and had to go down to the police station and give them my information. Yet the city is saying there's no connection. I say bs. I really feel like I'm being targeted and treated like an idiot. I mean, they have inaccurate information on me and are still doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut