Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 29,932 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Wallingford. My boyfriend will be commuting to around Bradley Int'l and I'll be commuting to Yale. Any idea what commute time will be for rush hour for us?

Unrelated question: Can anyone tell me what type of cable/internet packages are available in the area? we're looking for cable and internet but we don't need phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
Your boyfriend is probably looking at a commute of 40 minutes to an hour each way. I-91 can get bogged down through Hartford. His evening commute (southbound) will be worse than his morning commute.

Depending on where you are in Wallingford, your commute will probably be between 20 and 30 minutes each way.

I must defer to someone else on cable and internet packages...

Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM

154 posts, read 801,895 times
Comcast is the big provider of cable internet and TV in Wallingford. There is also DirectTV as well and SBC DSL. I would advise against the the SBC DSL.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
Your boyfriend is probably looking at a commute of 40 minutes to an hour each way. I-91 can get bogged down through Hartford. His evening commute (southbound) will be worse than his morning commute.

Depending on where you are in Wallingford, your commute will probably be between 20 and 30 minutes each way.

I must defer to someone else on cable and internet packages...
Totally agreed. Your commute is one of the puzzles that I don't think can be solved. Going to Yale and Bradley from one location spells compromise.

I commuted to Wallingford from Manchester for a couple years and it wasn't bad at all...but as yankee.peddler said, his commute home is going to be a problem because I91 for a couple miles into Hartford gets clogged up...not a problem if you are going local, but when you have another 25 minutes past Hartford to go, it's going to be a b*tch.

Maybe you can look into Rocky Hill or the Westlake area of Middletown which will give you another 5-10 minutes of commute but take that away from him as well.

As njohnson said Comcast is the cable provider. I don't have experience with them sorry. But on the contrary I did have a business grade DSL from SBC with no complaints at all for 2 solid years. YMMV

Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 29,932 times
Thanks. We realized that its going to be a much longer commute for him than for me, but his commute ends when he gets to his job, and mine requires probably 15 more minutes of getting from a parking garage to class. Added to the fact that I'm probably going to be going back and forth more than him, we decided that it made more sense for him to have a longer commute.

I feel worse than he does about it.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
Comcast is the big provider of cable internet and TV in Wallingford. There is also DirectTV as well and SBC DSL. I would advise against the SBC DSL.
I second that. I have just two more months with SBC/Dish. I wish that I had gone with DirectTV originally. Dish has done nothing but lie for three months regarding the deletion of New York-based stations. This was my whole reason for dropping Cox Communications. In a nutshell, Dish lost a lawsuit. They claim that due to a change in FCC regulations, no satellite or cable company is allowed to carry out-of-area stations. Not true...

Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
Charter cable in Willimantic has been carying Boston's ABC and CBS stations for 20+ years.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Charter cable in Willimantic has been carying Boston's ABC and CBS stations for 20+ years.
We're being held hostage here in the Cheshire-Southington-Meriden area. All of the surrounding cable companies carry the New York (and New Jersey) stations. Interest in Boston or other cities isn't big in New Haven County.

It's not a matter of distance either. Cox Communications didn't carry NESN until a small, but vocal group nagged them enough.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 03-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM

154 posts, read 801,895 times
Yeah my father is a huge RedSox fan and could never figure out why Cox never carried NESN. Another big gripe of mine was not carrying OLN, especially during the Tour De France. I know a lot of other people who received it as standard programming with their cable. I even complained to them but to no avail.

Comcast is a decent cable internet system and much better than SBC as DSL is routinely slower. They also have some issues setting up external SMTP's if you run a website and want to have your own POP3 addresses. I just advised a client on this and she switched from SBC to Comcast and is now getting twice the speed and her emails work great.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,932 times
We live in Wallingford and have comcast for phone, cable, and internet (runs about $100 a month) Absolutely no problems with it.
Depending on what time he leaves for his commute, and where you live in Wallingford, it can be an easy commute to Bradley. I live right near the highway and can make it to Bradley (if there is no traffic) in 30 minutes.
Yale is an easy commute (15-20 minutes and you can get off the exit where traffic usually backs up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut