Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

Hi - My wife & I currently live in NYC and plan on moving to CT within a few months. We love the Danbury area , but I continue to hear mixed feelings on the city in terms of immigrants and illegal aliens. Is this really a big issue? We are about to have our first child and would like to know we are moving to a safe & comfortable area. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM

132 posts, read 331,531 times
It would depend on the section of the city you frequent. Along Main Street, White Street and Hospital Ave there is a large Ecudorian population but in the outskirts, it is rural and beautiful with big homes on large lots.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,927 times
I sent you a private message....

Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,555 times
I sent you a private message, shoot me an email and we can talk.

JosephPalumbo@gmail.com

Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
lol, whats the secretes about? Danbury is a big city, I wouldn't worry about. You can find a nice secluded spot if you prefer peace and quiet.. I think when you get into the downtown areas of any city is when you might run into something you're not comfortable with.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
I guess I will send you a public message, since I am not going to be racist or xenophobic. Frankly, if you live in NYC and have some kind of problem with immigrants I'm surprised. Danbury is a small Connecticut City and has attracted a somewhat noticeable illegal and legal immigrant population.

Danbury has an average amount of violent crime when compared to the rest of the US and slightly higher than average property crime. Statistically, the link between a cities crime rating and immigrant (legal/illegal) population is tenuous to non-existent. (Of course you can ignore statistics and studies and blindly listen to Rush and the lot) There are many places with very low immigrant populations and high crime. The city where I currently live (and am leaving for CT in a few months) is one of the safest metropolitan areas in the country-- and has a very high legal/illegal immigrant population.

So if you are truly worried about crime, you will likely find Danbury and the surrounding areas to be safe. The towns surround Danbury, in my opinion, are gorgeous and offer a lot. If you just don't like immigrants, then I might suggest that you move elsewhere. However, you'll find many, sadly, that share your views.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you just don't like immigrants, then I might suggest that you move elsewhere. However, you'll find many, sadly, that share your views.
What if you like immigrants but don't like the social costs of having people who are not able to identify themselves when it is needed? Who cannot go to the police when they are victims of crime? Who cannot get a job without stealing somebody else's social security number?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
I guess I will send you a public message, since I am not going to be racist or xenophobic.
There are other valid reasons for sending DM's. Such as, when someone knows that what they will post, will only serve to inflame and bring out posts of a trollish nature. Just my $.02.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Default latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
What if you like immigrants but don't like the social costs of having people who are not able to identify themselves when it is needed? Who cannot go to the police when they are victims of crime? Who cannot get a job without stealing somebody else's social security number?
I would surmise that if you have to go the lengths above to justify your feelings, you probably truly don't like immigrants very much, and use those justifications to make yourself feel better about what is truly latent racism.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
There are other valid reasons for sending DM's. Such as, when someone knows that what they will post, will only serve to inflame and bring out posts of a trollish nature. Just my $.02.
Sure, that's possible too. I doubt that's what is happening here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut