Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,078 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the area for a year-long position at the VA hospital. We have two girls (3 and 7), and my husband will commute on the weekends to see us.
Where should we live, given:

1) Money is a concern (around $1000 before utilities would be great)
2) My older daughter will be going to 1st grade and my younger will need preK or daycare.
3) Safety is important since I'll be a single woman practically.
4) I rather not commute much at all.
5) I would like to be able to walk to shops, etc.

I am really excited about the move, but then this is my first time living in an urban area with children, so I am also nervous.

I have been suggested Westville. Are some neighborhoods within Westville better or worse than others? What are the schools like there ?

I liked an apartment (on paper) on Campbell ave on Elm Street in West Haven. Is that a decent neighborhood? The public school there is Washington. Any thoughts on that school?

Anything I am neglecting to consider?

We can't travel to look at the apartments or check out the schools so most of this needs to happen over the internet. So I highly appreciate and value your input.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Westville is part of the City of New Haven, so your children will be attending schools there unless you are willing to pay for private. Like any large city, the schools in New Haven have issues. Some schools are good and some are not. New Haven schools perform significantly under the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests. There are some excellent magnet schools which are state funded specialized schools, but they can be difficult to get into (not everyone is accepted).

West Haven schools perform better on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests, but they are still below the state averages. Class sizes also appear to be a bit high with over 22 students or more per class. For more information, check the link below for more information on school districts.

Strategic School Profiles by District

If schools are important, you might want to consider Milford which is located just west of West Haven. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 76,458 times
I currently live in West Haven and Elm and Campbell is right downtown. It has a blue collar feel to it. Some very good Italian restaurants which reflect the ethnic background of parts of the city. There is some drug issues, etc. The city center is fine during the day but not the greatest at night in my opinion. There is a Stop and Shop (our local grocery chain) in walking distance. Do walk on the West Haven boardwalk when you come to visit. It is a great place to come with kids. I think rentals will be affordable in West Haven but I agree with Jay, Milford is nicer. I personally dont know about that school but there are some rougher neighborhoods within that school region. The parts of West Haven closer to Milford are better but there is not that much in rentals. Housing is expensive in my opinion in CT and you will have to search a bit to get good deals. Most of Westville is ok, I have doctor friends who live there and there is a Jewish community in that area. Rentals can be full of students going to Southern Connecticut U which is in the area. I like the small shopping district near Whalley and Blake but you will have to drive to buy grocerys etc. The best schools and safest city close to the VA in my opinion is Orange. Close to shopping on Boston Post Road but does have a more rural or suburban feel. Orange has not much in rental at all and has overpriced housing. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut