Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-NH2009 View Post
Hi. I have the same question only we'd like to be no more than a 90 minute commute to NYC and hopefully a 20-30 minute commute to Yale hospital. Is this possible? Thanks!
Yes. Fairfield, Bridgeport, and Stratford should fall within your time parameters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes. Fairfield, Bridgeport, and Stratford should fall within your time parameters.
I agree. Bridgeport would be the most affordable but it is a large city and has some urban issues. Plus its schools do not perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut academic Performance Tests if that matters. Stratford will be a bit less affordable but is a very nice town with a lot to offer. Fairfield will be the most pricey but its schools are consdered to be excellent. Good luck, Jay

Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM

9 posts, read 41,723 times
Hi all,

We have a similar question but with different priorities. We would like to be as absolutely close to NYC as possible while keeping the commute to Yale less than 75 minutes by car during rush hours. The commute to NYC will be by rail on the Metro-North New Haven line into Grand Central. We are looking for a studio or one bedroom rental for less than $2,500 a month. We are a young couple without children, so school districts are not an issue. What would be some good places to live? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usul0184 View Post
Hi all,

We have a similar question but with different priorities. We would like to be as absolutely close to NYC as possible while keeping the commute to Yale less than 75 minutes by car during rush hours. The commute to NYC will be by rail on the Metro-North New Haven line into Grand Central. We are looking for a studio or one bedroom rental for less than $2,500 a month. We are a young couple without children, so school districts are not an issue. What would be some good places to live? Thanks!
Stamford would be a good place to start. There are many places downtown within walking distance to bars/restaurants that are very nice. It's less than an hour to NYC on Metro North and about an hour to New Haven.

For a quieter or more suburban lifestyle, check out Greenwich or Darien.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usul0184 View Post
Hi all,

Stamford is about 40 miles from New Haven. I am not sure anyone could gaurantee a driving commute to Yale in 75 minutes though. Traffic into New Haven at rush hour is difficult. I would recommend looking into Norwalk or towns to the east. With your price, you could easily afford a very nice apartment in Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford or Milford. It all depends on how far out from the city you are willing to travel on the train. Jay

Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM

201 posts, read 381,152 times
I live in Ffld and commute to New Haven everyday. Takes about 30 minutes, give or take. Train from Ffld station to Grand Central is about 70 minutes.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Stamford is about 40 miles from New Haven. I am not sure anyone could gaurantee a driving commute to Yale in 75 minutes though. Traffic into New Haven at rush hour is difficult. I would recommend looking into Norwalk or towns to the east. With your price, you could easily afford a very nice apartment in Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford or Milford. It all depends on how far out from the city you are willing to travel on the train. Jay
The majority of the traffic on 95 goes south from Guilford on down. I rarely see back-ups into New Haven on 95 N in the AM. It normally comes from East Haven/Q Bridge and 91 South. If the OP were to live in Stamford, even during rush hour their commute to New Haven would average about an hour, maybe less.

Commuting to NYC from anywhere north of the immediate Stamford area will be a haul, IMO. I wouldn't recommend commuting to NYC from Fairfield, Bridgeport or Stratford unless you want to subtract years from your life. It would be a VERY long day, 5 days per week.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The majority of the traffic on 95 goes south from Guilford on down. I rarely see back-ups into New Haven on 95 N in the AM. It normally comes from East Haven/Q Bridge and 91 South. If the OP were to live in Stamford, even during rush hour their commute to New Haven would average about an hour, maybe less.

Commuting to NYC from anywhere north of the immediate Stamford area will be a haul, IMO. I wouldn't recommend commuting to NYC from Fairfield, Bridgeport or Stratford unless you want to subtract years from your life. It would be a VERY long day, 5 days per week.
There are significant backups on I-95 northbound from West Haven into New Haven. It starts just after Exit 43 and continues to I-91. Depending on the day, it could add 5 to 15 minutes to the commute. Some this will be relieved when the I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange is completed but that is not for at least another 5 years. There are also some slow ups in Milford on I-95 northbound as well. You may not notice them because it is hard to watch traffic in the other direction when there is so much traffic going in your direction.

As for commuting from Fairfield, Bridgeport or Stratford to Manhattan, believe me there are many people that do this. I know someone that commuted from Bridgeport to Manhattan for 20 years and he enjoyed it. In the morning he slept or caught up on some work and in the evening he hit the bar car and played cards with a group he became friendly with. Of course, I would not want to do it, but that is just me. Jay

Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
There are significant backups on I-95 northbound from West Haven into New Haven. It starts just after Exit 43 and continues to I-91. Depending on the day, it could add 5 to 15 minutes to the commute. Some this will be relieved when the I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange is completed but that is not for at least another 5 years. There are also some slow ups in Milford on I-95 northbound as well. You may not notice them because it is hard to watch traffic in the other direction when there is so much traffic going in your direction.
I wouldn't call the backups on 95 North into New Haven in the morning significant. I have never seen it bumper to bumper. It's slow with volume, but I wouldn't call it real traffic (going 40-45).

Quote:
As for commuting from Fairfield, Bridgeport or Stratford to Manhattan, believe me there are many people that do this. I know someone that commuted from Bridgeport to Manhattan for 20 years and he enjoyed it. In the morning he slept or caught up on some work and in the evening he hit the bar car and played cards with a group he became friendly with. Of course, I would not want to do it, but that is just me. Jay
I know there are many people who do it. That doesn't mean it's easy. You have to leave 10+ minutes to get to the station, wait at the station (5-10 minutes), take the train (70 minutes), and walk/subway/cab to the office. Before the walk to the office, that's a 90 minute trip each way. With commuting to the office from GCT, it can be up to 2 hours each way. That's unbelievable.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 PM

74 posts, read 152,521 times
Some nice apartments in downtown Bport (easy walk to train) and they are significantly less than 2000 bucks a month. But most bport schools are not suitable for children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut