Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with it and what your thoughts are on it. (Website: http://www.stamford-downtown.com/ind...sk=view&id=126)

While it's probably advertised a lot more in Fairfield than in Westchester (where I live), I would've never known about this if Virgin Atlantic wasn't a sponsor back when my wife worked there (they're not anymore), amazing when I describe below what it is for those who may not know. We actually had the pleasure of being balloon handlers for this event for a couple of years earlier this decade.

Anyway, especially if you have kids and live in CT or in Westchester/Rockland/Putnam counties in NY, it's a relatively traffic-hassle free, less crowded alternative to taking your little kids to the Macy's Parade. They always hold it on the Sunday before Thanksgiving (to not directly compete with Macy's) and the balloons are just as big and have all the major characters (albeit different ones from Macy's to again not directly compete). You can even go the night before to see the balloons get blown up just like in Manhattan.

I believe it was started about 15 years ago, and has grown to the point where they are going to have a fairly famous Grand Marshal this year (couple Maury Povich and Connie Chung). We've gone with our kids every year for the past 5 years or so and really enjoy it (in fact, one year we went to both this and Macy's).

It's a week from today, so I just thought I'd note it to everyone. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,620 times
The first couple of years was not well organized but it has improved every year. One year the parade was about 3 hours long. Last year it was less than 2 and also very windy and cold. Not good for balloons. The balloons are on par with the Macy's parade. There are also several bands from all over. The parade seems to get better every year. I would highly recommend.

We live in Stamford, about a mile from the start, so we just walk. It can get crowded, so it's best to get there a little early. It's also fun to walk down Summer Street on the way to the start. You get to see all the floats, bands, clowns, etc...

Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I don't know what it was like at the very very beginning, but the years we were balloon handlers were 1999 (just my wife) and 2000 and 2001 (both of us). But you got it pretty much right. In fact, last year we only went to the balloon blowup and not the parade because it was windy and cold and looked like it was going to rain on parade day. In fact, now the forecast is changed for Sunday , hope it changes back.

As for bands, they even get one or two bands from Westchester County high schools now and at least a couple of years ago they had the NY City police bagpipe band just like at Macy's. Too bad they only televise it in Fairfield, it's close enough to Westchester that I think a lot of people would be interested (I posted about the parade in the Westchester forum too).

Old 11-17-2009, 02:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Too bad they only televise it in Fairfield
I've never seen it televised, and I'm in Fairfield County. I wish they'd televise it in upper Fairfield County, instead of maybe the Stamford area. In fact, they should televise it throughout Ct. if it's truly such a big event. We have friends who go every year, but we don't want to deal with thousands of people and the parking hassle. I'd rather watch it on TV but, it doesn't seem to be televised? I wonder why not?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
I think some of the big talk of the parade "spectacular" makes people think the parade is bigger than it is. Unlike NYC, there's really no parking hassle or dealing with large crowds, especially if you come in from the north or east (ie not from I-95). It's a fun parade, though. I hope it's not freezing like last year!

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've never seen it televised, and I'm in Fairfield County. I wish they'd televise it in upper Fairfield County, instead of maybe the Stamford area. In fact, they should televise it throughout Ct. if it's truly such a big event. We have friends who go every year, but we don't want to deal with thousands of people and the parking hassle. I'd rather watch it on TV but, it doesn't seem to be televised? I wonder why not?
It might be Stamford only, I think you have to have Cablevision and it's on their "News 12" channel, which I thought was all of Fairfield County (I'm more familiar with Cablevision in Westchester, where they're in every town except Mt. Vernon.....but they don't show it in Westchester).

It does get about 100-200K people, but as Silli said, it's not so bad, we go 2-3 hours before and still get near the front with the kids. I mean in Manhattan it's like 1-2 MILLION people at the parade.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I saw that the weather tonight said Sunday will be good. they pushed the rai to Monday now. It looks like you might have a good day for a parade. Jay

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It might be Stamford only, I think you have to have Cablevision and it's on their "News 12" channel, which I thought was all of Fairfield County
No, Cablevision only serves lower Fairfield County.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I saw that the weather tonight said Sunday will be good. they pushed the rai to Monday now. It looks like you might have a good day for a parade. Jay
Yes, saw that too this morning, hooray!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut