Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 AM

497 posts, read 508,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I'm almost 40 and I've spent literally half my life down south. I've been to every southern state multiple times as I have family in just about every southern state. I have not found the south to be near as friendly as everyone says. And after living in CT for just over a year, I find people to be very friendly. Even chatty. I think people have a hard time getting over stereotypes. So the first nice person they meet in the south, they're, "See the south is soooo nice!" Then the first rude person they encounter in the north, "oh see, the north is rude!"

Keep in mind, these "rude" people could have just had a death in the family, just lost their job, had a really bad day. Cut people some slack and get over yourselves if you think everyone owes you a "good morning."

I remember living in Florida when my husband's whole department was outsourced to India. It was the week before Christmas and he was given no notice, no severence, nothing. I was just leaving the grocery store with a knot in my stomach and this dude was behind my trying to make small talk. I gave him short answers back but wasn't in the mood to chat. When I took my bag to leave, I could hear him tell the cashier about "rude yankees" As if I didn't feel crappy enough, I needed some old coot judging me and where I came from at the same time. That was almost 10 years ago and it still bothers me for some reason,lol. Anyway, if someone isn't very friendly, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and figure maybe they are having a bad day? Why right away make it all about you?

I totally agree! If I come across anyone who is not overly friendly, it can be the small business owners. But this is only occasionally. I honestly think that it's stress more than anything. My father's aunt owned a deli/cheese shop up until maybe 8 years ago. The hours they had to work was unbelievable and in order to make a living, they were forced to be a one man show, basically. Two people had to be manager, accountant, stocker, customer service, cleaners, etc. So I really think that's a big reason small delis and things like get gruff people.
I have to say, I found two gems here in Avon with fantastic and super friendly service. A bagel shop and a mechanic. I don't know if I could post names so I won't. But I was pleasantly surprised, especially w/ the mechanic lol.
What do you consider South? Where you in the deep south? Trust me i'm a black guy who grew up in the south and grew up in Ct, it's amazing the difference!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
What do you consider South? Where you in the deep south? Trust me i'm a black guy who grew up in the south and grew up in Ct, it's amazing the difference!!
Up here most families don't get alone and the wife and kids is considered family! Down south family is family and it's all love! What's your relationship like with your family up here and i'm not talking someone you met married,got pregnant and call family!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I'd say the very high minority population down here plays a big part. There's plenty of rural counties in central Alabama where African Americans make up over 70% of the population, and those are also the poorest counties. Mississippi and Georgia are the same way.

I'm sure someone could ask "why are they so poor", but that would be like me asking "why are minorities so poor in Hartford". There's a host of different reasons that I'd rather not get into.
Your answer is available, continue reading!!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
I have traveled all over the country and found people to be friendly everywhere. I live in the South now and I think you may get more friendliness at the drive thru of some fast food place but I have to say that the good people up North are more social overall.

The other thing I have learned is that one place does not have to be bad for another to be good. Each state has it's own great things and some bad things as well.

Personally, I think CT is a GREAT place to live. There is so much to do and see, so much culture, you are so close to Boston and NYC and the shore and the mountains. Just a beautiful area with lots going for it.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I have traveled all over the country and found people to be friendly everywhere. I live in the South now and I think you may get more friendliness at the drive thru of some fast food place but I have to say that the good people up North are more social overall.

The other thing I have learned is that one place does not have to be bad for another to be good. Each state has it's own great things and some bad things as well.

Personally, I think CT is a GREAT place to live. There is so much to do and see, so much culture, you are so close to Boston and NYC and the shore and the mountains. Just a beautiful area with lots going for it.
Big House i like that post and you have a point!! Are you considering leaving NC and moving to CT?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Big House i like that post and you have a point!! Are you considering leaving NC and moving to CT?
Also we got to take in prospective some people like the fast life of say NYC or Boston and some people like the relaxed life of say Columbia,SC or Orlando,FL

Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Very much true, but Jay it's tough living up here i mean just the CT life you wouldn't compare to a South Carolina life or even a Nashville life! So i'm going to the beach in CT then head for the mountains, come on Jay stop! This is CT invest, save, get rich and leave!!
Not everyone shares your opinion. You could not pay me enough to live in the deep south. I personally don't like the laid back living down there where services are unreliable and people walk to their own beat at their own pace. It is just not for me. For me Connecticut offers the perfect balance between big city pace and quiet life. And quite frankly I have no plans to leave and most people I know don't either. Jay

Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
B-ham, what do we Southerners usually tell people who move here and then complain? We tell them to accept it for what it is or go somewhere else. That's exactly what you need to do, accept it for what it is or go somewhere else. You're here accusing people in Connecticut of being rude but you're being the exact same way yourself.

I doubt I would like Connecticut much myself, but I wouldn't move there and then constantly bash it and complain about it.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Let me explain i'm African American myself and i consider myself highly intelligent!! I'm from Alabama as well and love it in fact my county in Alabama is one of the poorest in the nation (Wilcox County)! Let's go back to slavery and look at what these people are coming from, now let's look at where the caucasians are coming from, colonial mansions, wealth and generations of capital passed down from one to the other!!! Now let's go back 40 ago, yes only 40 years ago these same people couldn't get the same amenities as a caucasian and you ask yourself why are they so poor? 40 years ago? Listen we're on the rise though, I love to see young blacks guys 23 years old with 200 million in capital ala Lebron James or 18 year olds with 85 million from myspace ala Souilja Boy (The rapper)!! Oh it feels good riding in Bentleys now adays ala myself!! And all it takes is one person to turn around a town, city or nation is it you or is it me? I love Bill Gates because he understand where my people been and i definitely love Warren Buffett because he'll let you know he progressed in 1934 during the depression, when my people were getting lynched and tarred!! So please stop wondering and open up a history book and the answer is in your face!!!!
http://www.clubfuji.com/Ash/a%20InternetToughGuy.jpg (broken link)

Can someone please post a refresher on how to not stink up a board with separate replies every 30 seconds?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM

112 posts, read 243,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Sounds like you wasted your time in college for your chosen field? My experience is with folks that have a more technical degree, be it Medical, IT, Engineering are doing quite well here. Yes COL is crazy here but doable if you live within your means.
I'm sorry but no I did not waste time in college getting my degree. My degree is in business, as are the majority of my friend's degrees. You mentioned IT...that was actually a major I thought of pursuing in college. However, most IT positions have been outsourced out of this state (and this country in general) primarily to India so the job market for IT is very slim pickings. Also, the outsourcing seems to have no end in sight.

I mentioned people who were straight out of college looking for a job. Do a search for IT on a job site. Most jobs are help desk techs which don't even start at $40,000/yr. I do agree that MIS jobs start slightly higher but like I said slim pickings. As for Engineering, I agree with you 100%. That is a great field to get into and the pay is WELL worth it. However, the pay rate for engineers is pretty much the same nationwide. So basically if your an engineer living where the COL is lower then you really have it made. As for the medical field, well some of us don't have the stomach for that and when you first start in that field you get shifts no one else wants, which makes it hard to have a family life.

You say the cost of living is crazy here but is doable if you live within your means? Well, I'm single and have no family support. Sure I assume if I was married to someone who was making good money and had a family to fall back on financially then yes, I could make it here. The point is, I can barely live never mind live within my means.

To all who say "well if you hate CT why don't you leave". Well that is a very tough choice to make. I would love to just up and leave this state, however all my family is up here whom I love to death and we are very close so no, it's not that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut