Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Good to hear things worked out for you. I missed "tryingtomakeit"'s post or I would have replied. Said person has vicously attacked me in other threads for some reason. Go figure.
Whenever i see a "newbie" come on and instantly latch onto slamming someone, i check their profile page. And it's always set to private. I think it's safe to say that it takes the majority of us C-D'ers awhile to realize that the private profile option is available. Interesting how the newbs figure it out immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM

112 posts, read 243,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
I have to agree JViello, we have yet to find anything negative about the area. I have had to drive to Enfield and West Hartford to train for my new position and we have driven to neighboring towns on our days off. The drivers here are more courteous, the scenery is breathtaking, the people are more friendly and I can go on and on. We have driven through the Main Street area and while I might not have rented on a couple of the streets we weren't rolling up the windows and locking the doors We found a nice little pizza shop we like called Sorrento's. The building is a work in progress but the food is delicious. We will have to try Ullianos bakery.
Fbam, I'm really glad that you found a place you like in Manchester. By no means was I trying to scare you or give you mis-information. I was trying to give you the good, bad and the ugly as I have seen it. But, it's really all about perspective...what's "bad" or "good" varies from person to person...its all about your own experience.

Personally, I grew up in Manchester and attended the Manchester school systems. Like I said, Bowers was great for an elementary school and here's the shocker...I agree with JViello..Highland is also a great school. There are also some magnet schools in the area I've heard good things about as well.

I just wanted to give you my perspective as someone who has lived in Manchester the majority of my life and attended elementary, jr. high and high school in the town. Manchester has cleaned itself up a lot. I do have to say that the crime and gangs from when I was in high school have subsided. But I thought that you were entitled to the knowledge I have just so you could make an informed decision. Again, by no means was I trying to scare you.

As for the comment made by another poster regarding my "private status", I am not dignifying that with a response.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
There are no bad areas of manchester. The above poster makes it sound as if manchester is gang infested. I will not disagree that there are a few bad apple streets in manchester but you will know them when you see them and the apartment complexes you will be looking at are not near them anyhow. Ellington, south windsor, manchester are all fine and the commute will be good for all. I would definitley avoid moving to farmington because of the drive.
Here are some links if anyone is interested in learning about gang and drug activity in and around the Hartford area:

Gang-Related News Articles

Overview - Connecticut Drug Threat Assessment

Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Here are some links if anyone is interested in learning about gang and drug activity in and around the Hartford area:

Gang-Related News Articles

Overview - Connecticut Drug Threat Assessment
The first link has 3 incidents that mention Manchester...from 2006,2007 and 2008. And the one in 2008 was a single assault that may have been gang related.

We did have a problem back in 06-07 with Hartford kids coming to town and starting trouble. That got squashed quickly.

The second link is from 2002 with information relavent to 1994-1999.

Just pointing it out in case people miss that.

Have you ever been outside of CT or compared our crime stats to national stats? We don't have a crime problem here by comparison at all.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM

207 posts, read 452,704 times
tryingtomakeit- no worries! you didn't scare me & I appreciate the info. I came from St. pete/tampa in florida so if you plug that into citydata you will see the vast difference between there and connecticut. What is crime infested to one person is different to another, like you said it's perspective. Either way I absolutely love it here. I do want to get my kids into good schools so you & jviello have been very helpful. Luckily I have some time to check things out before my oldest starts kindergarten. I have definitely driven through some areas that are less desirable (Hartford) but this whole move has been a breath of fresh air for me and my family. In the neighborhood I came from there were gunshots every other night and there was even a couple killed in the alley behind my house. I didn't live in a ghetto it's just St. Pete. So in a way, Jviello is right by saying Connecticut crime doesn't even compare. Now instead of falling asleep to the sound of gunshots we hear frogs & crickets. Loving every minute of it

Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The first link has 3 incidents that mention Manchester...from 2006,2007 and 2008. And the one in 2008 was a single assault that may have been gang related.

We did have a problem back in 06-07 with Hartford kids coming to town and starting trouble. That got squashed quickly.

The second link is from 2002 with information relavent to 1994-1999.

Just pointing it out in case people miss that.

Have you ever been outside of CT or compared our crime stats to national stats? We don't have a crime problem here by comparison at all.
I have been outside of CT plenty of times and I have also compared crime rates. However, I did go to High School at Manchester High and saw a lot of crime, drugs and gangs while I was there. Like I said prior, Manchester has cleaned itself up somewhat, but there is still much work to be done. Also a lot of the gang members that were in CT were put in prision back in the late 90's and are starting to be released now.

As for recent statistics and you stating that Spruce Street isn't bad, okay okay....here's a more recent story.
Teen Stabbed Near School

Several Bystanders Rush To Victim's Aid

POSTED: 9:20 am EDT March 20, 2010
UPDATED: 10:19 am EDT March 20, 2010

MANCHESTER, Conn. -- A teenager was hospitalized after a stabbing near the Nathan Hale School early Saturday.

Manchester police said the 19-year-old victim was found walking on Spruce Street with what appeared to be a stab wound to his side.
Police said several bystanders assisted him until police and medical crews arrived.
The teenager was taken to Hartford Hospital and listed in stable condition.
Police said it is unclear what the motive was behind the assault and the incident remains under investigation.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Manchester police.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
tryingtomakeit- no worries! you didn't scare me & I appreciate the info. I came from St. pete/tampa in florida so if you plug that into citydata you will see the vast difference between there and connecticut. What is crime infested to one person is different to another, like you said it's perspective. Either way I absolutely love it here. I do want to get my kids into good schools so you & jviello have been very helpful. Luckily I have some time to check things out before my oldest starts kindergarten. I have definitely driven through some areas that are less desirable (Hartford) but this whole move has been a breath of fresh air for me and my family. In the neighborhood I came from there were gunshots every other night and there was even a couple killed in the alley behind my house. I didn't live in a ghetto it's just St. Pete. So in a way, Jviello is right by saying Connecticut crime doesn't even compare. Now instead of falling asleep to the sound of gunshots we hear frogs & crickets. Loving every minute of it
Thanks! I felt bad after I read the comments about my posts! I have friends in FL and I've heard about St. Petersburg and the Tampa area. So, comparing Manchester to that area you are 100% right!!! Manchester is def a lot safer!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
I have been outside of CT plenty of times and I have also compared crime rates. However, I did go to High School at Manchester High and saw a lot of crime, drugs and gangs while I was there. Like I said prior, Manchester has cleaned itself up somewhat, but there is still much work to be done. Also a lot of the gang members that were in CT were put in prision back in the late 90's and are starting to be released now.

As for recent statistics and you stating that Spruce Street isn't bad, okay okay....here's a more recent story.
Teen Stabbed Near School

MANCHESTER, Conn. -- A teenager was hospitalized after a stabbing near the Nathan Hale School early Saturday.

Manchester police said the 19-year-old victim was found walking on Spruce Street with what appeared to be a stab wound to his side.
Police said several bystanders assisted him until police and medical crews arrived.
Police said it is unclear what the motive was behind the assault and the incident remains under investigation.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Manchester police.
"near school". 19 year old. Appeared to be. No motive.

Several of those other gang bangers hanging around Spruce street apparently "rushed" to his aid as well.

Sounds like life in a city of almost 60,000 people to me, not a city "infested" with crime. We have had 4 murders in 10 years vs. 216 in St Pete where the OP is from.

Our national crime rank 228 with a national average of 329 and St Pete almost 800.

The bottom line is Manchester is a safe city. Very safe by many standards. Safe as say Woodstock CT? No of course not.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:

Teen Stabbed Near School

Wow someone got stabbed. It must be a huge drug and gang area. I stubbed my toe on my bed this morning. I must be a drug dealer. Dont come to south windsor. Its heavily infested with gangs now. Mass toe stubbings lead to arrests

I think I am done with this conversation. I think you are someone from the suburbs who use to be in a wannabee gang and thinks he has lived the street life. You sound like a total tool.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM

207 posts, read 452,704 times
just to add a tidbit about St. Pete- about 80% of those murders occurred within 5-10 miles of my neighborhood. South St. Pete is a horrible. I would not even let my kids play in the yard and I didn't live in the worst part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut