Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,548 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I'm thinking of moving with my family to the US next year and working in New York City. We're used to the countryside, the coast within easy reach and good schools where we live in the UK so would like to find something similar in the States. It needs to be less than an hours commute from central New York. Somebody over here suggested Connecticut. Would anybody be kind enough to recommend somewhere we should look at to live. Our daughters are aged 10 and 11. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Hi Neil,

Where specifically in "central New York?"

Rich
former New Yorker

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 16,565 times
Neil--Connecticut would be great

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
The closest commute to NYC from Connecticut would be in the town of Greenwich (40 minute train ride). This town with a population of 60,000 both has urban areas and also rural-country like settings. The schools are rated tops in the country and there are many forms of stores and shopping so you will never be inconvenienced. Keep in mind that this is one of the most expensive towns to live in in the United States. Housing costs are about $1,500,000 for the median value..or about £850,000
Welcome to the official Town of Greenwich Connecticut Web site

Another option might be Darien, Connecticut (pronounced Dairy-Ann) which is a smaller community of about 20,000 residents which is maybe about an hour on the train to NYC. Very nice town with schools that are also rated very highly, they recently completed construction of a new High School. Housing will have the same costs as Greenwich, plus there is still ample shopping. Many people in these areas commute to NYC daily. Welcome to the Town of Darien, Connecticut

Both these towns are coastal, housing for a waterfront or house that has beach rights automatically sends the prices into the multi-millions. Where in the UK are you moving from?

Last edited by glxyman21; 06-06-2007 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Hi Neil,

Where specifically in "central New York?"

Rich
former New Yorker
I think he means central NYC, like 42nd around the area of Grand Central.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM

64 posts, read 346,875 times
As a former MD of a large investment bank, I know we moved employees
frequently. This is a feather in your cap. We only moved "key" people. If your firm is in midtown, you'll need to decide certain things, that is, balancing commuting time with the need for countryside. If the job is downtown near the Exchange, you'll need to be selective on location because of the commute. If you are from Sussex, then the horsy country of
Ridgefield, Redding and Wilton will be to your liking, but you are looking at 1:45 or so commute. Doable, but sometimes tedious. I did it for 7 years. If you are more accustomed to a quick run to the ocean, then practically any town along the shore of CT as far west as Fairfield is for you. Commute time from 45 minutes to an hour.
In the Eighties, I lived just off Sloane Square. Jumped on the tube and was in the City in 15 minutes. You won't find that here. Friday's caught a train at Fenchurch Street and headed out.
The HR department might provide a list of employees who reside in CT. First, get a map and mark their locations. Then call each one you can and ask for advice about the commute. Most, if not all will be helpful. If they aren't, PM me privately, and I'll ask some of my mates here who do the commute for their thoughts/advice. Cheers!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Connecticut would be a great place to live but it can be expensive if you want to live an hour or so from Grand Central. Going up the coast of Long Island Sound is Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, Westport and Fairfield. These towns are among the most desirable and expensive places to live in the United States, so be prepared to pay to live here.

Greenwich is the closest town, but it is among the most desireable and expensive towns in the country. If you can afford it, it would great. It has a nice downtown and a lot of great shops and restaurants. The public schools are excellent (better than many private schools) and there are a lot of parks and beaches. I would not call Greenwich "urban" even though it has about 60,000 residents. It is a large town in area, so people are spreadout. There are no high-rises, buildings are a maximum of 4 or 5 stories in height.

If the price of Greenwich is too high, Stamford (the next town up the coast) is cheaper but it is a large city with some large city problems. Darien is only slightly less expensive but is truly beautiful. Norwalk is a small city and also less expensive but like Stamford has some large city problems. Westport is also very nice but you would now be about an hour from Manhatten by train. Fairfield is a great town with a lot to offer (great stores,restaurants, schools, parks beaches, etc.) and is the most affordable but it is just over an hour to the city by train.

Another consdieration for you could be Westchester County. It is closer to the city and has a lot of very nice towns. It too can be pricey. Check the New York Boards for more information.

If you have an idea of your price range that would help narrow the options. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut