Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking to move to Connecticut but before I jump in and start my search blindly, I'd like some advice on areas where I should concentrate my house hunting efforts. I'm a single professional female, looking for a 1-2 bedroom condo/townhouse in a quiet and safe neighborhood, my budget is $300,000. Since I'll be living by myself, safety is my number one issue.
Also, my sister will be joining me in CT with her family around the same time. So some advice on affordable (her budget is about the same as mine), family friendly areas near NYC (her husband will be commuting to L.I. daily for work) with great schools would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long and winded request, but both my sister and I are desperate to get out of NY and move to CT ASAP! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
You don't say where YOU will be working as that would help us to narrow down your search as their are plenty of safe towns in CT that would work for you.

For your sister that needs to be commuting distance to NYC and have good schools will cost her more then 300K unfortunately, unless she is willing to have her husbands commute exceed 60 minutes...

Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
I doubt that your sister will be able to find anything suitable in CT.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:09 AM

9 posts, read 23,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannabanana View Post
Hi. I'm looking to move to Connecticut but before I jump in and start my search blindly, I'd like some advice on areas where I should concentrate my house hunting efforts. I'm a single professional female, looking for a 1-2 bedroom condo/townhouse in a quiet and safe neighborhood, my budget is $300,000. Since I'll be living by myself, safety is my number one issue.
Also, my sister will be joining me in CT with her family around the same time. So some advice on affordable (her budget is about the same as mine), family friendly areas near NYC (her husband will be commuting to L.I. daily for work) with great schools would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long and winded request, but both my sister and I are desperate to get out of NY and move to CT ASAP! Thank you!!
Try looking in New Milford. It's not too far from the city and house prices have come down in the last few years. Their are some nice condos but I personally suggest Sunny Valley Townhouses located at 38 Sunny Valley Rd. It is a small development with only 32 units and the common charges won't kill you. It is located in a nice neighborhood. Maybe your sister will find a home in the same neighborhood. If you need any more assistance don't hesistate to write me. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
There are many townhomes in Danbury built within the last 20 years that might work for you. Danbury does rank consisently as one of the safest cities in the country for its size. Almost all have 2 bedrooms (with a couple with 3) and some units even have lower level familiies. Many communities even have pools & a clubhouse. Communities in that price range include Arlington Woods, Barclay Commons, Westwood Village, Westville Commons and Stetson Place. You might be able to get into a smaller unit at Sterling Woods, Lexington Mews and Timber Oaks. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
To the OP, I would not suggest Danbury for your sister, since she wants "great schools". Danbury might work for you, though. Alternately, you and your sister both might look into Fairfield for a condo/townhouse. There are several listed for less than 300k.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I would not want to commute from Connecticut to Long Island. Some people do but it means a long commute through some of the worst traffic in the New York area. As for where to live, it all depends on how close to New York you want to be. In your price range, it will be a struggle since southwestern Connecticut is among the most expensive places to live in the country. Since schools are not important to you check out Stamford and Norwalk. These are small cities with some urban issues so you will need to be careful about neighborhoods. Also the suggestion for Fairfield would work but you will be a little further from New York. The Black Rock and North End sections of Bridgeport would work too. Jay

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM

418 posts, read 1,411,147 times
I wouldn't want to commute to Long Island from anywhere in Connecticut unless I could take the ferry to Port Jefferson from Bridgeport. Maybe you guys should think about living on Long Island instead?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM

129 posts, read 413,196 times
I agree with everyone who says the commute to LI is unmanageable altho I know a couple of peolple who do it its is completely exhausting and unpredictable.You can get a nice condo in Fairfield for 300K,If you can go to 350K you can live in Norwalk,Stamford etc altho then the schools are an issue.Id go with Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut