Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And some are WiFi ready which means they require a USB wireless adapter.
Good point, and in the case either of our comments are true, people may find that they don't have everything they need to connect their new toy. In my experience this happens most often when purchased through the internet, and second most when purchased through warehouse or big box stores. The consumer is left to themselves to determine what they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM

633 posts, read 723,777 times
i dont understand why people buy smart TVs. it's basically equal to you plugging your computer to your TV used as monitor. In fact that way is even better since smart TVs has inferior 'computer' specs compared to even the cheapest computer u can buy.

but i am seeing this will be as mainstream as the smart phones i guess in the future all our appliances will be 'smart' waiting for release of smartmicrowave, smartwashingmachine and soon.... smartvacuums! lol. oh ya they already have a robot for that.

as for me i will make my own smart TV. using my PC, kinect and HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And some are WiFi ready which means they require a USB wireless adapter.
i dont get it.. if they're wifi ready why the need for USB wireless adapter? aren't they ready to use? like my sis just bought a smart TV and it has built in wifi so i was able to connect her smart TV wirelessly in 1 sec. no adapter needed. the tv has network setting 'app'.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
i don't understand why people buy smart TVs. it's basically equal to you plugging your computer to your TV used as monitor. In fact that way is even better since smart TVs has inferior 'computer' specs compared to even the cheapest computer u can buy..
It's not a replacement for a computer at least at the moment. The thing is most people want simplicity and this is a simple and easy conduit for easy access to the more popular sites and services on the web.

Having said that the only feature I really use for the internet is youtiube and even that is bit of problem becsue I have no keyboard. I'm more interested in the network connectivity, I can play the home videos I've painstakingly transferred to digital format over the years. I can view photos stored on any network connected HDD and my sound sytem is smart too... I have my playlists and complete access to all my audio files a click away though the interface on the TV.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
The Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with a built in touchpad works great with my Samsung Smart TV. Sure makes the Smart features easier to use. You have to have an available port on your TV for the USB receiver.

I think it was around $30.

Newegg.com - Logitech K400 (920-003070) Black USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 11-18-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
The Logitech K400 wireless keyboard with a built in touchpad works great with my Samsung Smart TV. Sure makes it a lot easier to use. You have to have an available port on your TV for the USB receiver.

I think it was around $30.

Amazon.com: FAVI Entertainment Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black: Electronics

I told my sister to buy this. or the ones that are same size as tv remote. i think that makes more sense to control your smart TV with instead of any regular size PC keyboard. as for me though i will use kinect to control my own version of smart TV. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not a replacement for a computer at least at the moment. The thing is most people want simplicity and this is a simple and easy conduit for easy access to the more popular sites and services on the web.

Having said that the only feature I really use for the internet is youtiube and even that is bit of problem becsue I have no keyboard. I'm more interested in the network connectivity, I can play the home videos I've painstakingly transferred to digital format over the years. I can view photos stored on any network connected HDD and my sound sytem is smart too... I have my playlists and complete access to all my audio files a click away though the interface on the TV.

well like i said you can do all that with your PC with their media center program. and most HDTVs now has built in PC connector so u can easily make your HDTV as monitor for your PC which is basically what smart TVs are but like I said is way inferior in specs compared to PCs.

Last edited by angelinajolie; 11-18-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Amazon.com: FAVI Entertainment Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black: Electronics

I told my sister to buy this. or the ones that are same size as tv remote. i think that makes more sense to control your smart TV with instead of any regular size PC keyboard. as for me though i will use kinect to control my own version of smart TV. lol

well like i said you can do all that with your PC with their media center program. and most HDTVs now has built in PC connector so u can easily make your HDTV as monitor for your PC which is basically what smart TVs are but like I said is way inferior in specs compared to PCs.
"Smart" is just another feature on certain levels of TV. Some people buy those TVs for other features they may want. Some people may want the Smart feature because they can't or don't want to put a PC near their TV, don't want cables run across the floor, or just want the simple features Smart TVs offer without all the other pieces and complications.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM

I guess i just have different point of view because like I said all I can see in smart TVs are basically a PC connected to TV. I'm sure those people who is not technically knowledgeable as I am see it as 'new' thing that they must have it.

that's why i was not wowed by smartphones or iphone when they became popular because my hacked GPS had those features even before they became insanely popular.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I guess i just have different point of view because like I said all I can see in smart TVs are basically a PC connected to TV. I'm sure those people who is not technically knowledgeable as I am see it as 'new' thing that they must have it.

that's why i was not wowed by smartphones or iphone when they became popular because my hacked GPS had those features even before they became insanely popular.
It's not about buying the newest thing. Most people want simplicity, even at the expense of some performance. Few people are interested in taking 5 steps when 1 will get them where they want to be. Smart TVs meet that need for a lot of people with limited surfing or web access, and maybe the ability to pull media from a networked computer.

I can tell you for a fact that the vast majority of people use very little of the abilities of their A/V gear (and certainly computers) unless someone has automated everything for them.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

I can tell you for a fact that the vast majority of people use very little of the abilities of their A/V gear (and certainly computers) unless someone has automated everything for them.
LOL precisely my point. that's why sometimes i just shake my head on the 'new' things that people just got to have not knowing their 'old' gadget already have those features but just have no idea.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
I'm fairly tech-savvy but I value simplicity and ease of use over anything else. Why would I want 10 cords running from my television when all I need are two. Why complicate things? I enjoy streaming Netflix and music but I don't want to connect my computer to my television nor do I need a PS3 or Xbox to watch movies. I like wireless; I have a harddrive that stores all of my disc-based movies as well as my music library...a few clicks and it'll play through my television.

I don't think it's about the "new" thing but rather as something that can replace other gadgets. And as SMART TV's get better software, eventually they will probably replace the majority of computer usage at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics