Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 05:10 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, because I went through such annoyances in trying to replace my dead television. I wanted to get something used, cheap, on Craigslist. First, I was puzzled that there weren't more things posted, and more cheaply, considering that Phoenix is a large city. Surprised that so many people were still trying to unload old tube TVs. And I had, twice, people go back and forth with me, everything was agreed on, I proposed a time to come by, which they said was fine. And that day, having arranged my schedule to accommodate them, when I was just confirming, and getting the exact address - they stopped answering emails, stopped answering their phones. Infuriating.

So, I'm curious:
How did you get rid of your last TV? Dump it? Sell it? Give it to a friend?
How did you buy your current TV? Research it carefully and track it down? Stop in casually at Best Buy? Cruise Goodwill? Find something on Ebay or CL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Bought it at Costco just like I have for the last 15 years.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I sold mine on Craig's List and bought a new one at Best Buy. They had a fantastic sale going on...

Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Slickdeals.com to buy & craigslist to sell. I wouldnt buy a used lcd tv, many of them have issues with power supplies failing & no repair parts available. Dont pay much & buy the extended squaretrade warranty so youre covered beyond the (short) factory warranty.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:21 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times
What's a TV

Is that something you plug your PC into?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Bought one of the last plasmas available, from Best Buy, moved the existing TV into the guest house, gave the guest house TV to my son.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:19 PM

640 posts, read 957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
How did you get rid of your last TV? Dump it? Sell it? Give it to a friend?
Donate to St Vincent De Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
How did you buy your current TV? Research it carefully and track it down? Stop in casually at Best Buy? Cruise Goodwill? Find something on Ebay or CL?
Actually bought the same model a friend had, it was exactly what I wanted and knew it was good.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Lots of Great Priced TVs online . . .

As an example, Woot: Daily Deals for Electronics, Computers, Home, Tools, Garden, Sport, Accessories, Kids, Shirt, Wine, & more frequently has great deals on LCD/LED TVs. Much wiser and safer than buying a used and/or unknown from a stranger on Craigslist.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:28 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Slickdeals.com to buy & craigslist to sell. I wouldnt buy a used lcd tv, many of them have issues with power supplies failing & no repair parts available. Dont pay much & buy the extended squaretrade warranty so youre covered beyond the (short) factory warranty.
This^^ (BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY so long as the price is good). But many times Costco is the price leader especially around the holidays.

I'm not one to buy extended warranties as more-often-than-not, it is a waste of $$. But TV's in 2015 basically don't have serviceable parts. You get a free extra year warranty at Costco and they negotiate a killer deal on the extended warranty. So if you get a 3 year warranty that is added to the 2 year that Costco offers for free, you have a strong chance that you will be using that warranty. If it happens, you will get what you paid back to buy a new one.

Also, don't buy some brand name you cannot pronounce. The hierarchy of TV's are as follows. 1.) Korean brands (LG and Samsung). 2.) Japanese brands (like Sony and Sharp). 3.) Taiwanese manufactured brands like Philips and JVC. Vizio takes from all three panel makers and may add its own power supply, upconversion etc and is a solid choice. Costco doesn't normally sell junk as they have to back it up for the extra year of warranty. They buy by the trainload only when they steal them. It's why BB doesn't price match Costco. Costco has a cost plus 10% model on those TV's they negotiated well on. Not so on Costco.com. No deals on their website only in store. Slickdeals.com certainly can find the lost leaders from big box stores and is another good source of finding a deal.

The problem with buying on Craiglist is it could be stolen, or showing signs of problems (handshaking issues, bad pixels, etc). Also, people only remember what they paid. So in comparison to 2015, they paid way too much. The think 50% off of what they paid is a good price. NOPE!

Finally, TV's have come a long way in the contrast and black level category. If you buy a 2009 model that is used it might look perfect watching football but terrible watching a love scene in a movie. That's because you cannot flash black; black is the absence of light. Poor LCD's from not-so-many years ago result in unacceptable black levels. Meaning the LCD's don't bend enough to block the light OR they used compact florescent (versus LCD backlight with variable iris). Therefore an old tube set will beat the pants off earlier generation LCD's and Plasma's in the black level department (unless you are buying a Pioneer which was several thousand $$'s more of a premium).

To the OP. Go to Costco and buy a 42" 1080P LED backlight for around $375. Buy the extended warranty and consider that "cheap".

Old 11-22-2015, 06:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Donate to St Vincent De Paul

I would think it would depend on whether the old TV still worked. St Vincent De Paul won't take an old tube TV that doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
View detailed profiles of: