Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

Just seeing if there's anyone here who owns or can help with a Garmin eTrex20x Handheld GPS.

I just bought my first one and I'm trying to get some "tips and tricks".

There's not much of a manual available and I'm looking to see if there's desktop software that integrates with the unit, the best maps to look at purchasing, and overall just a thread for some general questions and answers.

Does anyone here know much about these units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I have an older model, CX I think?

There is no desktop software, at least for mine. I know there's a way to download your 'tracks' but I've never done it.
We just use it for hiking \ canoe trips to see how far we've gone or if we need some quick co-ords.
Oh, and the time.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
I've had one for several years. It works with two different Garmin software programs, Basecamp and Mapsource. I use both. You can buy maps of course, but you can also get them for free. Just google Free Garmin Maps or go to this link: Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

There are a number of good websites with good ideas, help and discussion boards like these. just start googling or re-post and I can post some links Sunday when I'm back from travel.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I've had one for several years. It works with two different Garmin software programs, Basecamp and Mapsource. I use both. You can buy maps of course, but you can also get them for free. Just google Free Garmin Maps or go to this link: Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

There are a number of good websites with good ideas, help and discussion boards like these. just start googling or re-post and I can post some links Sunday when I'm back from travel.
Thank you so much, bigbear99! I am new to this device and I really want to become proficient with it. I guess I need to learn Garmin's terminology and what it means in the "real world". I don't understand the difference in routes and tracks and adventures et al. I have been to a free map site (I think it was gpsfiledepot.com) and got some topos but I haven't figured out how to do navigating in the sense that I am looking for. I am working with settings, reading what I can find, and seeking the wisdom of those who know the ins and outs (like you!).

Will the handhelds also do turn by turn navigation? What I keep finding is everything is "as a crow flies".

Thanks again and I'd appreciate any links you can help with!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
some garmins do turn by turn, but those are automotive. I do not believe the etrex series does but have never tried.Seems Seems the etrex does turn by turn IF you have routable maps, but I've never used the feature, and doubt it would work on trails.

Yes, keep reading and googling. There are a number of boards with folks that do wonderful help, and can steer you to map resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics