Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times

Advertisements

I'm going on a big trip in two months and am planning to buy a new camera for the experience. I know the majority of people today use their phones for taking photos, but I've never cared for this option. It doesn't help that I have a low-end Android phone that doesn't take great pictures, but that's only part of it. I simply prefer the familiarity of the camera. When I'm off in a faraway land, I'd prefer not being stressed over picture-taking. I'd rather just enjoy myself.

That being said, anybody have a recommendation for a good quality digital camera?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Taking pictures with a phone is... stressful? To each his own.

The Coolpix line from Nikon is still one of the best.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix...3930087&sr=1-9

Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Cellphone cameras are convenient because they're always at hand for spontaneous events.

But if I were planning on a big trip, I would definitely ensure I had a real digital camera.

I've also had good luck with the Coolpix.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I'll third the recommendation on the Coolpix, with some caveats - it doesn't have a true manual mode and you'll find yourself subject to the idiosyncrasies of the autofocus and exposure calculations. Most of the time it gets them right, but sometimes some post work in photoshop is needed. It is frustrating though that sometimes a shot will be lost because you can't manual focus. You also can't change lenses, which for a point-n-shoot or vacation camera is fine, but not happy for true professional work. The biggest drawback is the lack of a regular viewfinder. In bright light the exposed viewscreen is barely visible. You either suffer with it or try to make some sort of sunshield.

The zoom is excellent for the price range, not going into digital zoom until much later than most cameras. The standard AA batteries is a big plus. Movie mode is OK, but with the weird digital stuff when there is movement of the camera while the stabilization is going.

Be aware that if you have a regular camera and are going to places like craft shows or galleries, people are going to look at you crosseyed and frown.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:35 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
I still use my T3i DSLR for major trips and my A4000is for minor trips.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
I like to photograph nature and wildlife, mainly birds. A cell phone is useless for bird photography as they are often at a distance that is beyond the capabilities of a phone. I have a Canon superzoom (65x optical) that performs nicely and it goes with me whenever I go out and about for recreation.

BTW, CD has a dedicated photography forum
http://www.city-data.com/forum/photography/

Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Cellphone cameras are convenient because they're always at hand for spontaneous events.

But if I were planning on a big trip, I would definitely ensure I had a real digital camera.

I've also had good luck with the Coolpix.

^^^ This!!
Coolpix is great.
I take my Nikon camera bag with me.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:38 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I have my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Digital Camera for taking planned out picture, vacation etc. Phone cameras are decent (I just got a Samsung Galaxy S* and it has a great camera), and it's nice to have on occasions I don't want to carry around my "real" camera. At the end of the day, the Sony beats out any cellphone camera I have seen although the gap has become considerably narrower in recent years.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
I always hated crappy phone pictures. It bugs the crap out of me. I can't stand to look at sh*tty quality when it comes to pictures. I have a refurbished Nikon 7100. Very happy with the quality. The downside is big and bulky and lens quickly add up if you keep buying them.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:59 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
There are many good choices beyond cell phone cameras. Others here may also be surprised that Nikon is not the only decent manufacturer. There's Canon, Sony, Panasonic (Lumix), Olympus, Pentax and others. I use Canon SLR for my serious shooting, but for lightweight and as a camera for my spouse, got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 because it had very specific features I wanted, including RAW. Your needs will be different, so don't be swayed by others talking about what they like. You are not they.

There are a number of good sites that compare various styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics