Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Don't skimp on a sub. Look at internet brands such as SVS, Rhythmik Audio, and HSU Research.
The sub will be Sonos. Compatibility...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
The single biggest reason I won't go wireless with speakers is because I need a stereo solution. One that does not rely solely on a phone or an 'app' to control.
Sonos is stereo. I actually like controlling it from my phone. Simple.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sonos is stereo. I actually like controlling it from my phone. Simple.
Stereo as in: Two speakers 4 to 7 feet apart facing listening area?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Stereo as in: Two speakers 4 to 7 feet apart facing listening area?
You can pair two Sonos speakers to get stereo. That’s what I’ve done with 2 of my Play:1 speakers.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Thought I should follow up on these speakers.

We are totally impressed. Now that we know how to "tweak" them the 5.1 we get is amazing. There is not a lot of tweaking to be done, but the balance of sound can be adjusted a couple of ways. Much better than I expected.

One of the coolest things we found was listening to NFL football. We hear the game and announcers from the Playbar and the crowds from the speakers. And the crowd sounds are different from each speaker. Puts you right in the middle of everything.

Because we are Amazon Prime members we have access to around one million titles for music and a ton of books. And if we aren't happy with what we get there we turn on the TV and use the DirecTV music channels.

All in all we are very happy. She's already talking about more speakers for the bedrooms. I still want to get a sub-woofer first. If I could figure out how to get the one we have (wired) to work with the Sonos I'd be on it in a minute.

And we have learned that Alexa can be used as an intercom. "Drop In" is the skill. Friends have an Echo and two Echo Dots. They have figured out that if one of them needs help they tell Alexa to play Help by the Beatles in the other rooms at volume 10 (deafness on his part) so they know if they hear that song they need to respond.

Very cool.

Edit: Playing Assassin's Creed Origins with the speakers set up correctly is, well, interesting. I've had the crap scared out of me a couple of times because of hearing someone attacking from behind me. Life is good.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I LOVE my Sonos 3 and Sonos Sound Bar! (it's a small house, so that's all we need.) Two warnings:

1. If you switch to Google Fiber, it takes awhile to get them to 'play nice'.

2. If you get Amazon Echo/Alexa, the Sonos can integrate with it. Which makes Sonos even MORE fun! Except it won't interface with Google Play Music.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I doubt we will ever see fiber here, but you never know.

Friends have Echos and really like them. We've talked about what to get for the other rooms and I'm leaning towards saving up and getting more Play Ones because they sound so good.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:24 PM

Did some reading and I'm going to test something. Run the TV out to my receiver (currently in the garage waiting for the spring community garage sale) then from the receiver to the Sonos. Tie the sub-woofer to the receiver for synced sound.

Quick test and an easy yes/no result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics