Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM

374 posts, read 562,553 times

Advertisements

Best Buy was really the last local place to buy some CDs of my music, as Walmart doesn't carry it. The local record store would order CDs for me, but focuses on LPs for the younger crowd.

BB frustrated me with offering "weekly ad" specials on Friday new releases. That special price was good for 2 days only. AcousticSounds is here in KS => additional ~ 8% tax, compared to MusicDirect, or ebay sellers.

I still want a physical media. I purchased on-line, as that Friday morning the site said my store had only 5 copies, for $7.99 the 2-CD Winwood Greatest Hits Live. I then drove down to BB & waited @ the pick-up counter while a guy negotiated for a 3rd replacement for some smart watch that the band kept breaking on. Two other employees returned to the Customer Service area & ignored my presence. This took some of the joy out of getting new music like I remember from getting the Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in 1971.

A couple years back in BB, a clerk asked IF I needed help selecting a car stereo. She didn't have the A to my Q. Curious, I told her I sold LPs in 1972 in a dept. store, when my hourly wage was < the price of an LP. I asked IF her hourly wage was < the price of a CD. She thought a moment, smiled & said YES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Its 2018, CDs and really DVDs too, should be long gone by now.

Actually by now, we should be seeing the next thing that will replace 'streaming'.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Actually by now, we should be seeing the next thing that will replace 'streaming'.

I would vote for something that not only effectively gets new music out to the masses for consumption, but is totally controlled by the music artist and totally profited by said music artist. The down side to all of this music consumption via streaming, is that the artists get very little from that. They totally live off of concert tickets and merch available at said concerts - which have gone through the roof in cost.

Until something like that comes out that not only gets the music out to those who will consume it, but will make money for the artists, I wouldn't ever want physical media to go away completely.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times
Im still waiting for 8-tracks to make a comeback.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:00 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I would vote for something that not only effectively gets new music out to the masses for consumption, but is totally controlled by the music artist and totally profited by said music artist. The down side to all of this music consumption via streaming, is that the artists get very little from that. They totally live off of concert tickets and merch available at said concerts - which have gone through the roof in cost.

Until something like that comes out that not only gets the music out to those who will consume it, but will make money for the artists, I wouldn't ever want physical media to go away completely.
I am actually a bit surprised that streaming in general, was not suppressed earlier on, just due to how easy it is to steal or pirate the media.

I really thought mini-disc was going to be the next thing after Cds/ DVDs, people still would have had to buy MD players and still had to buy the actual MDs themselves, but they are much smaller and more convenient, I bought an MD player for my car back in 1994 and loved it, but there were not many MDs available at the time. They said more and more would eventually come out, but it never happened. I think I still have some MDs packed away somewhere, Im not sure I could find a player for them though!

Old 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
I am actually a bit surprised that streaming in general, was not suppressed earlier on, just due to how easy it is to steal or pirate the media.

I really thought mini-disc was going to be the next thing after Cds/ DVDs, people still would have had to buy MD players and still had to buy the actual MDs themselves, but they are much smaller and more convenient, I bought an MD player for my car back in 1994 and loved it, but there were not many MDs available at the time. They said more and more would eventually come out, but it never happened. I think I still have some MDs packed away somewhere, Im not sure I could find a player for them though!

Here is what I would want. Make music more interactive. Instead of having the music all mixed down to one stereo wave, keep it in a multi-channel state. Allow the end user to change how that music sounds, through a virtual mixing board app built into their player. This is what I envision. Let's say you're listening to your favorite rock band. You love a certain album of theirs, but your only complaint was that the bass was too low in the mix. so, you have the power to raise the bass levels. Or, maybe you just want to listen to the music and not the singer, you turn down the vocal channel. Or to get even more fancy, let's say there are hidden channels that you can activate for an alternate mix of said song. For instance, maybe there's an acoustic version of the song in which you turn down the electric guitar channels and bring up the acoustic channel, or you can have a mixture of both. Anyway you want the music to sound, you keep rediscovering hidden gems of that album. And, you can save your mix onto a flash drive or a CD for easy access on the go.

Older classic rock acts could really take advantage of this by re-releasing their classic material, but allow the end user to change up the mix. Maybe the lead singer no longer sounds the same or is no longer in the band. You could still have his/her old vocal tracks, but maybe that band wants to refresh the musical aspects of those songs. For instance, I noticed Journey started adding a guitar solo whenever they played Open Arms in concert. There is no guitar solo in the original recorded version with Steve Perry. Journey could essentially re-record the musical parts of those famous albums, add some stuff they thought would make those songs pop again, and then the end user has a chance to re-discover those albums by re-arranging the mix.

It's a wild thought.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:

Well a thing or two.

First, to reiterate, it seems a lot of people don't realize that a lot of live bands make their living off of selling CDs. Such as Tartanic, such as Circa Paleo (for the benefit of our studio audience at home, you might know such by the nom de voyage, the name she travels under, "The Hot Violinist"). Last September, for example, I attended a show for another group who were doing it to introduce their new CD. As said before, that is their bread and butter.

The second thing is that I don't know about you but I am sick of having to buy the same thing over and over again because the format keeps changing.

Finally, of course, is the situation that not all of the world is under the high speed internet umbrella. That is not living in a 3rd World country but rather, the US as well. I am 10 miles or so outside an interstate corridor and there is no cable out here. Ten miles from a highway that does 70 mph and there is no high speed internet.

Given that, just because one has it in the city, one should not expect the older ways to disappear just because what they have is fantastic.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-04-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 02:48 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well a thing or two.

First, to reiterate, it seems a lot of people don't realize that a lot of live bands make their living off of selling CDs. Such as Tartanic, such as Circa Paleo (for the benefit of our studio audience at home, you might know such by the nom de voyage, the name she travels under, "The Hot Violinist"). Last September, for example, I attended a show for another group who were doing it to introduce their new CD. As said before, that is their bread and butter.

The second thing is that I don't know about you but I am sick of having to buy the same thing over and over again because the format keeps changing.

Finally, of course, is the situation that not all of the world is under the high speed internet umbrella. That is not living in a 3rd World country but rather, the US as well. I am 10 miles or so outside an interstate corridor and there is no cable out here. Ten miles from a highway that does 70 mph and there is no high speed internet.

Given that, just because one has it in the city, one should not expect the older ways to disappear just because what they have is fantastic.
Not only that, but despite what another poster said, not everything is streaming. Anyone who has different than purely mainstream tastes is out of luck with streaming.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 PM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Best Buy's CD selection has been so poor for the past few years that this is no great loss.

A few days ago, a guest asked me where I got my rather large collection of CD's. I had to stop and think before I said "mostly Tower Records." Remember them? Their Boston store was impressive.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Best Buy's CD selection has been so poor for the past few years that this is no great loss.

A few days ago, a guest asked me where I got my rather large collection of CD's. I had to stop and think before I said "mostly Tower Records." Remember them? Their Boston store was impressive.
Me, it varies.

First, there is 1/2 Price Books. Then, there are the conventions.......those belly dancing vendors can sell me anything. Next, at festivals especially at their closings when the band is out there playing for the exit crowd or just in general. Ie, Sophia of Tartanic ...... h**p://garywesley.zenfolio.com/p199299107/h8214A1E#h8214a1e and Jesse of Circa Paleo ........ h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPnGzTI1EE

Finally, there is Amazon which is the impulse buying. The other month, for example, I suddenly got the urge for "What's new, Pussycat?" and had Amazon send it to me.

Conceptually, I could eventually go the LP path. I inherited the family's LP collection to include lots of Mexicali Jazz from the Viet Nam War era (and then again, there is 1/2 Price Books) and I have at least two USB turntables around the house....but I am no where close to having that kind of set up yet even if I do have the source, the equipment, and the media to create such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics