Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 03:10 AM

280 posts, read 307,839 times

Advertisements

Modem completely conked out yesterday. No matter what I did no lights would come on at all. It was dead. I've had it a little over five years so I thought maybe it was time. The router seemed to be fine though. All lights were blinking like normal.

I relative gave me their old modem and router today. I plugged their modem up,but kept my router. All lights came on,but no internet connectivity would come though. I then unplugged my router and plugged their's up instead with their modem.I had to use their password to the router instead of mine. Both their name and mine came up under the Wireless Network Connections Tab. Still no internet connectivity. Even though all lights were on for both of theirs.

In one last desperate move I unplugged their router and modem and replugged my router and modem back up, and weirdly all the lights came back on for my modem. It''s been fine for the last 30 minutes. I'm typing this in a hurry just in case it dies again and I have no internet.

What is going on? Why would my modem die completely for a full day and a half and then work again? Why didn't my relatives modem work even though all the lights were on. Could this issue have been on my Internet Service Providers end and whatever it was just got fixed today?

My Modem and Router

Arris Surfboard Modem SB6121

Belkin N300 Router

My Relatives Modem and Router

Netgear CM400

NetgearN300 Wifi Router
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
I relative gave me their old modem and router today. I plugged their modem up,

Your ISP should have list available for compatible modems, check that first. Assuming the modem is compatible you need to call the ISP. They need to register that device as your modem and the service will only work with that device, the old one will get the boot.

As far as the power problem I have similar issue with my router, once it's powered off or loses power you need to wait at least 15 minutes before it will power back on. No amount of unplugging it, cycling the power button or anything else will allow it to power up. Actually found out accidentally it still worked and I have no idea why it does that. It's on a UPS now so it doesn't really matter much anymore.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
WAG, funky capacitor in the modem power supply. Caps can re-form sometimes.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
WAG, funky capacitor in the modem power supply. Caps can re-form sometimes.

Not positive but I think I tried a different transformer on mine. I'll have to retry it next time.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Modems don't last forever, mine died, I struggled with it for awhile before it quit for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics