Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 07:52 AM

740 posts, read 457,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you. I needed the education these links provided. I like the Klipsch Heresy IV. Is this the smallest in this brand I should go without losing the big bass sound I'm seeking?

These Klipsch Heresy IV are a beautiful vintage look. Thanks so much for these links.
Tonight my husband saw lots of Klipsch speakers in Costco?

I'm a huge Costco fan but buying speakers from Costco is not one of them. Many of those Klipsch speakers you see at big box stores are low end garbage. If you want good Klipsch speakers, you are going to have to move up to their higher end that are not offer at Costco.

Here are my two top choices if you are willing to shell more money. Also, for your speakers to sing, you must buy the right receiver to properly power it.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

Sierra Tower Bamboo Loudspeaker

If you are on a budget, look at craigslist....I've seen some amazing used speakers on sale...of course, you have to know what you are looking for. Educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 08:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
These popped up.

Klipsch Reference Premiere Atmos RP-280FA, $800 a pair.

https://www.adorama.com/kprp280fa2.h...e=rflaid912524

Dual 8" woofers. Not quite the Heresy but also not anywhere near $3k.

Those paired with a good sub should rock your socks off.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 PM

313 posts, read 269,265 times
Thank you both for your links. So I don't need cabinet speakers with at least 12 inch woofers?

Yes we do have a sub woofer and our receiver was top of the line Onkyo so should provide enough power.

We have 2 tvs set up with their own speakers systems consisting of several small speakers and bass speakers.
For music I wanted just 2 big speakers without needing a sub woofer.

But if these tower style Klipsch, plus a sub woofer will do the job, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for these links.

It's difficult to match our Infinity (Quantum?) Which cost a small fortune in college.
We also had Sony tower speakers, similar to these tall Klipsch, that were disappointing. So I figured I should look for 12 inch woofers like our old Infinity's have?

I saw Costco Klipsch is made in China....

Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Thanks for both of your links. So I don't need cabinet speakers with at least 12 inch woofers?

Yes we do have a sub woofer and our receiver was top of the line Onkyo so should provide enough power.

We have 2 tvs set up with their own speakers systems consisting of several small speakers and bass speakers.

But if these tower style Klipsch, plus a sub woofer will do the job, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks for these links.

It's difficult to match our Infinity (Quantum?) Which cost a small fortune in college.
We also had Sony tower speakers, similar to these tall Klipsch, that were disappointing. So I figured I should look for 12 inch woofers like our old Infinity's have?

Old 09-16-2020, 11:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Well, one does not have to break the bank for decent sound. For example, the two Polk speakers (A7, and A9) deliver quite a good sound with plenty of bass, and are relatively inexpensive ($600- $800 for a pair).
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear..._speakers.html

But let me tell you...these things are taller and heavier than one can imagine. The A7 is close to 4-feet high, and is quite heavy (probably the reason why no weight is shown in the specs). The A7 can handle 20-300 Watts.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for both of your links. So I don't need cabinet speakers with at least 12 inch woofers?

You would be hard pressed to find 12 inch woofers in speakers unless you go vintage or buy some specialty brand. Cerwin Vega still makes them. The trend for the last 20 years or so? in surround type systems has been smaller woofers (8" or less) for the front speakers along with a subwoofer. That setup should provide more than enough bass, aesthetics aside.

Klipsch has always been about quality. Some of the lower end lines are apparently made in China. From what I have read they still maintain the same levels of quality control. Some 80% of speakers sold in the US are made in China. Obviously not to save the consumer money but to make the companies more.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Unfortunately the subwoofer with small main speaker woofer and small main speaker cabinet contributes to the "modern" sound - all sub-bass and treble, rumbling the house and simultaneously in your face. "Old fashioned" speakers wtih generously sized woofers and cabinets provide a more balanced sound similar to what you'd actually hear if you were listening to a music performance. This is especially noticeable with high quality recordings of acoustic music, and the most noticeable with high quality recordings of orchestral music.

And, two good quality "old fashioned" speakers will eliminate that need for the subwoofer altogether.

Now if all you listen to is rumbly over-boosted bass dance tunes recorded in the last 10 years, maybe you want your home stereo to sound like those cars on the street that are driven by lonely guys; in which case I don't have advice for you.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Unfortunately the subwoofer with small main speaker woofer and small main speaker cabinet contributes to the "modern" sound - all sub-bass and treble, rumbling the house and simultaneously in your face. "Old fashioned" speakers wtih generously sized woofers and cabinets provide a more balanced sound similar to what you'd actually hear if you were listening to a music performance. This is especially noticeable with high quality recordings of acoustic music, and the most noticeable with high quality recordings of orchestral music.

And, two good quality "old fashioned" speakers will eliminate that need for the subwoofer altogether.

Now if all you listen to is rumbly over-boosted bass dance tunes recorded in the last 10 years, maybe you want your home stereo to sound like those cars on the street that are driven by lonely guys; in which case I don't have advice for you.
I agree with your posts about this. I was fortunate growing up in the late 60s to 80s living with parents who were really into music and had a good quality stereo.

As an adult I've owned all kinds of setups and have never appreciated the sound quality of this newer surround sound.

Infact reading a Klipsch Heresy iv review written by an audiophile, he refers to this speaker's "sweet spot", standing/sitting only directly in front of them??? What? With big cabinet speakers the whole house was the sweet spot...

Last edited by Withinpines; 09-18-2020 at 01:10 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I agree with your posts about this. I was fortunate growing up in the late 60s to 80s living with parents who were really into music and had a good quality stereo.

As an adult I've owned all kinds of setups and have never appreciated the sound quality of this newer surround sound.

Infact reading a Klipsch Heresy iv review written by an audiophile, he refers to this speaker's "sweet spot", standing/sitting only directly in front of them??? What? With big cabinet speakers the whole house was the sweet spot...
Without going into a lengthy discussion about frequency response, acoustics, room size, source material I will just say this, Sound is VERY subjective. What sounds good to you may sound terrible to someone else.

IMO proper mid and high range is just as important as low (bass).

Subwoofers excel at reproducing frequencies below 200Hz without much effort. Separate crossovers allow for this. Generally speaking, conventional woofers struggle to reproduce sounds below 50 Hz. Technically they may be rated down to 20Hz. These sounds (bass) are more of the type you can feel rather than hear. The expensive speakers can do it better than the cheap ones obviously but subwoofers still serve a purpose.

Best thing to do is please your own ears.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Best thing to do is please your own ears.
And your ears change as you age too. I can’t hear 15KHz and up anymore so absolute pristine top end won’t be as noticeable to me as it would be to my kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics