Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:02 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

OLED isn't must have for most people. You can get a seriously good TV at a third the cost of an OLED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 10:07 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OLED isn't must have for most people. You can get a seriously good TV at a third the cost of an OLED.
100% correct. OLED is still pretty though. We were at Best Buy the other day and were looking at a Sony LED and OLED side by side. Don't get me wrong - the LED/LCD was spectacular, and cheaper too. But man, that OLED for damn sure looked good. It had the slight edge in colors, but the blacks are what sets OLED apart from the rest - just like plasma did way back when. Plus, OLED has dropped in price like a stone. Wasn't that long ago they were $3,000+. Now you can get a good one for 2 and under, so long as you're not looking at 65" or more though. I can't put anything bigger than 55" in the space I'm using, so I save a few bucks.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:09 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
100% correct. My buddy has an OLED and that [pretty much cinched it for me. I'm getting one.

This will be mine:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...?skuId=6416810

Got $100 in gift cards. Got $100 in points from my credit card (use that and pay it off monthly and I earn Best Buy credit.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:25 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
100% correct. OLED is still pretty though. We were at Best Buy
the other day and were looking at a Sony LED and OLED side by
side. Don't get me wrong - the LED/LCD was spectacular, and cheaper
too. But man, that OLED for damn sure looked good. It had the slight
edge in colors, but the blacks are what sets OLED apart from the rest -
just like plasma did way back when. Plus, OLED has dropped in price
like a stone. Wasn't that long ago they were $3,000+. Now you can
get a good one for 2 and under, so long as you're not looking at 65"
or more though. I can't put anything bigger than 55" in the space I'm
using, so I save a few bucks.
I figured OLED TVs were pretty much established by now.

Just be careful when judging sets in a retail environment - most of them are in 'store mode', 'Vivid', or otherwise cranked up to Hechunbach...! And most consumers just leave 'em that way out of the box, and beach and moan when they wonder why their new TVs last only 3-5 years.

That's why I carry some old remote controls with me from my city recycling yard. A Sony, a Panasonic, and LG for now, so I can go in and pull up something more reasonable in the picture menus.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I figured OLED TVs were pretty much established by now.

Just be careful when judging sets in a retail environment - most of them are in 'store mode', 'Vivid', or otherwise cranked up to Hechunbach...! And most consumers just leave 'em that way out of the box, and beach and moan when they wonder why their new TVs last only 3-5 years.

That's why I carry some old remote controls with me from my city recycling yard. A Sony, a Panasonic, and LG for now, so I can go in and pull up something more reasonable in the picture menus.
OLED are established, just that the panel yields aren’t as high as LED. 5 or so years ago for every 2 panels shipped one was thrown out.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
The OP said she hopes to be under $500.
With the Geek Squad service, almost anything worth having will take it over $500, for sure.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:15 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The OP said she hopes to be under $500.
With the Geek Squad service, almost anything worth having will take it over $500, for sure.

OP here. And you are correct . I can't see spending about $250 on a TV and then $200 to get support for it.

Looking at 43" Insignia or Toshiba with Fire TV already installed. A friend was just at Best Buy and some good Open Box values. (Both around $250). I'm a bit overwhelmed with the "alphabet" stuff like HDR and UHD - but both of the above are 4K UHD , one has HDR and other not. Don't know if I would notice.

This is largest I want to go -- my couch is only 6 feet away from the TV stand (not wall mounted) and I really think it is going to be enough of an adjustment coming from the 32" screen. I may still even do the 40" .

On the fence about paying Best Buy -- one time set up fee would be $99, or $149 depending on what you read -- while Total Tech for the year is $199.

Or I may wait for a savvier relative to get out of Covid quarantine and come help me.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:57 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
OP here. And you are correct . I can't see spending about $250 on a TV and then $200 to get support for it.

Looking at 43" Insignia or Toshiba with Fire TV already installed. A friend was just at Best Buy and some good Open Box values. (Both around $250). I'm a bit overwhelmed with the "alphabet" stuff like HDR and UHD - but both of the above are 4K UHD , one has HDR and other not. Don't know if I would notice.

This is largest I want to go -- my couch is only 6 feet away from the TV stand (not wall mounted) and I really think it is going to be enough of an adjustment coming from the 32" screen. I may still even do the 40" .

On the fence about paying Best Buy -- one time set up fee would be $99, or $149 depending on what you read -- while Total Tech for the year is $199.

Or I may wait for a savvier relative to get out of Covid quarantine and come help me.
I would not pay anybody. That would be foolish. I looked up that TV, Insignia 43", it weighs 20lbs.

Just make note of what is connected on your old TV and plug it into the new TV.

The rest you can figure out from the manual. You can also find it online.

UHD means Ultra High Definition whereas older TVs were likely just HD High Definition. Don't let that throw you off. The HDR is pretty much a standard these days. Simply put, it will provide a better picture.

What do you watch? Cable, Satellite, Streaming?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:30 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I would not pay anybody. That would be foolish. I looked up that TV, Insignia 43", it weighs 20lbs.

Just make note of what is connected on your old TV and plug it into the new TV.

The rest you can figure out from the manual. You can also find it online.

UHD means Ultra High Definition whereas older TVs were likely just HD High Definition. Don't let that throw you off. The HDR is pretty much a standard these days. Simply put, it will provide a better picture.

What do you watch? Cable, Satellite, Streaming?

I just dread dealing with anything electronics as my mantra is "nothing is ever simple." I have ALWAYS run into some unforeseen problem. But I am sure not going to pay $150 or $200 to get this small unit set up. It's hardly a home theater system.

That said, I may be getting a relative's 43" cast off as they are looking at something 70" plus. I am embarrassed to say I don't even know the make or model, but in the years of watching their TV I do know I have always marveled at the quality of the picture. But if they decide not to spring for a new TV right now (it means committing to replacing their wall unit as any larger TV will not fit) then I'll do some Best Buy deal I think.

To answer your question, I have AT&T Uverse for the basic networks, and Amazon Fire Stick for Amazon Prime and Hulu, and of course all the various movies thru them or the freebie networks like Pluto, but mostly it's the broadcast networks and Prime. I actually don't have Netflix...am I the last American on that?? And I don't play any games whatsoever, I just watch TV

Thanks for always weighing in, gguerra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics