Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 11:16 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just ordered some batteries. Very cheap.

Regarding the popularity of these phones - I went to a big BestBuy a couple years ago and they didn't have one home phone.
But I went to Staples just now and they had a few, and even some of the handset batteries. But not the ones for our phone.
Not surprised. Target audience is everything - most people do not want, need or use a home phone. We dropped ours long ago, my Dad didn't even get a landline when he moved. Even in my office we don't give new joiners a desk phone anymore - everyone gets a cell. You ask me for a desk phone, I'm most likely going to tell you no unless you're an exec - and even most of them don't want landlines anymore. We all use cell phones. We have entire sites that have dropped their phone systems and gone cellular only or Teams PSTN.

Hell, even my 90 year old gramps dropped his home phone and ported the number to a cell - and he was the one person I thought would never even get a cell phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 10:51 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,523,226 times
I went to a different Best Buy and they did have a few home phones, all Panasonic.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:03 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
It's getting hard to find replacement cranks for Victrola's too.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:27 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I went to a different Best Buy and they did have a few home phones, all Panasonic.

I love my Panasonic phones. I use the Link to Cell app which connects my cell phone to the Panasonic handsets. No need to carry my cell phone around in the house and no need for a landline.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Amazon.com has tons of home phones and landline phones.

Put 'home phones' into search box at top of Amazon.com and then also put 'landline phones' as as separate and second search.

Amazon.com has many makes and brands available. And both corded and cordless.

I love having a landline phone. Xfinity gives the landline service free with a internet and cable package.

Tremendously better reception with a landline and the voices and connection do not fade away while talking.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Any type of "landline" that goes down when your internet does, isn't a true "landline". So tired of this misconception. I blame the cable companies, of course.
Notice the word they never use is "landline". As for the "tremendously better reception"... yea, that's not so true anymore. The newest phones today are pretty amazing with the voice quality. Every bit as good as your Internet phone line...aka your 'landline'.
Certainly not 'landline shaming' lol... you like what you like, and that's fine. I got rid of mine 10 years ago when I realized the only thing I used it for....was to find my cellphone.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:26 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times
Apropos of Landlines -- since the 1960s my Dad's rambling house had seven extensions on one landline. All of us kids spent hours on those extensions back in the day. Anyhow, the cellar extension and one of the upstairs extensions stopped ringing a few years ago.

We contacted AT&T. Apparently the FCC is allowing providers to lower the voltage for landlines, meaning that the dedicated landline power is insufficient for houses with multiple extensions. This seemed strange, but whatever.

So Dad dropped back to four extensions -- kitchen, bedroom, family room and office. I really wanted a landline next to his bed for emergencies. He leaves his cell in odd places.

Then AT&T started to dismantle ("de-support") the entire landline infrastructure in metro Kansas City. We had intermittent problems and even intermittent service. At $60 per month, we eventually just said goodbye to the landline. RIP after 50 years in that house.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I love my Panasonic phones. I use the Link to Cell app which connects my cell phone to the Panasonic handsets. No need to carry my cell phone around in the house and no need for a landline.
Second these, with enthusiasm. Relatively inexpensive, as reliable as old Ma Bell stuff (even in the Bluetooth autoconnect, no small thing), HD voice quality.

For those of us who are too evolved to pay for a landline but not... young enough?... to carry a glass brick everywhere with us in our own house. Drop the phone in a charger cradle, still be able to answer and make calls from any corner of the house (or, more significantly, any floor!)

Old 03-09-2023, 04:52 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Apparently the FCC is allowing providers to lower the voltage for landlines, meaning that the dedicated landline power is insufficient for houses with multiple extensions. This seemed strange, but whatever.
Actually, seven extensions is beyond basic Ma Bell service. Standard ring voltage and current would handle four full-power ringers (ringer equivalence of 1). If for some reason you had more than four, it was extra for boosted current (as well as for the leased phones).

Most phones made after about 1980 had much, much lower ringer equivalence, meaning they would ring using a fraction of the current needed for Ma Bell 500/2500 sets. It would probably be hard to exceed standard ring current with mostly modern phones.

But of course, there are no more wired phones, and probably few households with more than two or three at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics