Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Edit: Watch for blurring. We sat in American when we were trying to decide and watched an Indy race on a Sony. We noticed that a man being interviewed had a beard and when he turned his head to watch the action (quick movement) his beard blurred. I went over to the Samsung we were looking at (the one we bought) and there was no blur. We were close enough together that she would call out "Blur" whe she saw it on the Sony and I didn't see it on the Samsung.

That is what decided us on the Samsung.
I have a Sony with absolutely no blurring. There are 120hz sets now, and motion enhancement settings. The sony you were looking at might have been a 60hz set or had some of it's motion enhancement features turned off. Samsungs are good sets however. Reason I didn't pick a Samsung was the reported greater "game lag" when using a video game system compared to Sony's sets.

Like burn-in on Plasma sets, "motion-blur" is somewhat overstated with the current level of technology in use. Many LCD sets feature 120hz and there are now some that will soon come out with 240hz. Technology is really improving these sets, even the black levels on LCD's are almost equal to Plasma's so that you get very little difference in choosing between the 2 - you will get a good picture with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM

473 posts, read 714,608 times
we just purchased a 37" lcd for kids for christmas at sams club. what we found is that (at least in our area) everything wal mart had was 720p, except for their two largest size tvs, one was plasma one lcd, they were 1080p. although the price was good- the picture quality was noticable enough that we didnt want to go 720. sams had the smaller tvs in 1080.
as for plasma/lcd you have to do your own research. everything i read in the last few months leaves it pretty much a toos up- except if you are using it for gaming, which is what we were looking for. burn in is more of a problem (according to most websites- no actually knwledge, but that was about the only thing most sites agreed on) with plasma than lcd, so we went with the lcd. btw- kids love it- the blood splatter is so much more realistic (yeah- just what a mom wants to hear on christmas morning) o- and its only that much more ralistic if you happed to know you need to buy the hdmi cord to hook it up.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
o- and its only that much more ralistic if you happed to know you need to buy the hdmi cord to hook it up.
Not sure exactly what that means but I think you are saying you need an HDMI cable to experience HDTV. That is not true - an anolog component cable will carry a hidef signal, sometimes better than HDMI.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure exactly what that means but I think you are saying you need an HDMI cable to experience HDTV. That is not true - an anolog component cable will carry a hidef signal, sometimes better than HDMI.
This gets into that whole digital is digital argument. However, I believe the poster was probably saying HDMI given that that is the most common output jack for certain devices. For a PS3 you need an extra adapter for component, while the HDMI is right there.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I would only recommend 1080p when we are speaking about TVs 46" or greater.
There are some reasons for choosing 1080p in a smaller set. One is resale value, since the future is going to have 1080p become the norm with 720p sets being less desirable. The main reason I'd get 1080p for a smaller set is to make it computer compatible. Even a 24" computer monitor will do 1080p, so a 32" TV only doing 720p is not nearly as suitable as a good high-res computer monitor, which is a useful thing when re-purposing a TV.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I'm looking at Panasonic Z series plasmas, which are pretty good deals, and the comparable (as far as features I'm looking at) Sony LCD (Z series also) is $400-500 more.

However, Plasma weighs more and uses more power. Make sure your table/stand is enough.

Yeah, that's what I couldn't figure out. The plasma picture is killer, why the price difference, better viewing angles. Don't get it.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Yeah, that's what I couldn't figure out. The plasma picture is killer, why the price difference, better viewing angles. Don't get it.
It takes alot of resources and quality control to put all those LCD crystal's in place for a mass produced TV. The price grows exponentially with screen size. So it's just expensive to manufacture. That's why and big LCD is more expensive than a Plasma and you rarely see over 52 inch. The top of the line 52 inch LCD's run about $2k, and I have seen some 57inch LCD's at a prohibative $4k.

As manufacturing is improving the price of large LCD's are coming down however. We are close now, and I predict very soon both the price and quality of LCD's vs. Plasma will be non-existent (If you go over 52" anyways I would just shell out for the HDTV Projection TV's and get a 80 inch TV for the price of a 50 inch plasma). By that time the new HDTV technology will be surfacing - OLED

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I bought a 42" 720P Plasma from Samsung, their 450 series...and finally got around to hooking it up....AFTER my dad went out and bought a 52" Samsung 1080P LCD 650 series. His looks awesome. Mine, you can see tiny tiny pixels throughout the screen. It looks fuzzy. It looks good from further back, but I view at around 5' give or take 1-2'. I paid $700, he paid $2000. So while it is obvious the bigger, newer, and more expensive model should be better, I am not quite sure it makes it a plasma vs LCD thing, but more of a price level.
I've had the TV setup for 2 nights and have been upset that his looks perfect from even 2" away...2 inches..I didn't mean feet, and mine looks better from 5 feet PLUS...room is only 10' deep/wide though.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Right now the LCD technology is still changing to improve it's picture quality. The top Sony's now use LED backlighting, which is very expensive, but also give a good picture. The plasma technology did not have the same issue that LCD has with backlighting, so they started out with a better contrast picture (for real black colors) to begin with.

So LCD will probably meet plasma blacks with newer technology, but the price will take some time to match up.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I bought a 42" 720P Plasma from Samsung, their 450 series...and finally got around to hooking it up....AFTER my dad went out and bought a 52" Samsung 1080P LCD 650 series. His looks awesome. Mine, you can see tiny tiny pixels throughout the screen. It looks fuzzy. It looks good from further back, but I view at around 5' give or take 1-2'. I paid $700, he paid $2000. So while it is obvious the bigger, newer, and more expensive model should be better, I am not quite sure it makes it a plasma vs LCD thing, but more of a price level.
I've had the TV setup for 2 nights and have been upset that his looks perfect from even 2" away...2 inches..I didn't mean feet, and mine looks better from 5 feet PLUS...room is only 10' deep/wide though.
I would think that comparing a 720p 450 series versus a 1080p 650 series will make a big difference. Even a 450 series LCD (not plasma) is way cheaper than a 650 series LCD of the same size, there's got to be a picture quality difference. So I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if the plasma isn't as good. Close up, the 1080p will have more pixels than the 720p.

The other issue is the setup and calibration. All enthusiasts and the people writing articles/reviews in magazines will point out the calibration versus factory setting and will evaluate in a calibrated state. So if you don't have them both calibrated similarly, it's not a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics