Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One is called Video Studio and another called Movie Factory. Each will go from capture to burn.
Whoa ...... unless you have a very fast computer, that first one is a slow bugger, or may be the programme is just very slow .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The statement about USB is not true - at least with my Sony mini-DV camcorder. It is a digital stream with the same data content as the 1394 stream. My old computer dropped some frames using USB - possibly because the 1394 simply outperformed it.
Which model? I know some pro cams have DV over USB but I'm not aware of any in the consumer market. Been a while maybe they added it in new ones? In any event firewire is better. Technically USB2 is faster but for sustained data transfer firewire is superior especially on under powered PC's.

Quote:
Whoa ...... unless you have a very fast computer, that first one is a slow bugger, or may be the programme is just very slow .....
Video requires a lot of processing power especially when you're encoding video. No matter what software you use they will have roughly the same performance. When encoding the encoder and whatever settings you have selected is the primary determining factor. Most of the consumer applications all use the mainconcept encoding engine so they will all be about the same and others using a different engine will not be significanly faster or slower.

To make it go faster you need hardware like the Matrox line, get your checkbook out. The dealers don't even list prices but last I heard a base system starts about $15K

Realtime Editing with Adobe CS4 for Broadcast and Post - Matrox Axio (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/axio/ - broken link)

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
@coalman:
Regarding the comment I made about MS movie maker before, I found out that I had an older version.
Downloaded the latest one, and now figure that it is as good as any other programme.

Found some help on the net, about *helping the pooter* speed up the process, by closing a lot of other things still running.

Still a long time to do it (all the editing is done *real time*, and the final conversion in order to play the movie on *any DVD player* is also long), but the results are *not half bad*.

LBNL, we have about 6 hours of time of our grandkids, and after hours of *editing*, it was worth it looking at the results !!!!

Thanks for all the info and help.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
The "make a movie" part, also known as "rendering" can indeed take a long time. The elapsed time can vary too with the specific format of the movie file - mpeg, WMV, AVI, etc.

When I upgraded my old Athlon XP3200 system to an overclocked quad core Intel Q6600 my rendering times dropped massively. It used to take 3 hours to render 30 minutes of video. Now 30 minutes of video is less than 30 minutes of wall clock time.

Enjoy....video editing can get a bit addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics