Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 PM

129 posts, read 456,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Thanks for your help, sounds like Cookeville is more my speed, however, every picture I see of the place looks so desolate, is it really as quiet as it appears? Looks lonely.
Far from lonely unless someone is the type person who holes up in their home and never comes out...fighting traffic jams with smog is not my idea of fun......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Wow, that's great! The twists at Ralph's are to die for. Back when Cookeville was a REAL small town they used to say that all the town's movers and shakers would make their political decisions at Ralph's Donuts.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! It's supposed to cool down the rest of the weekend so hopefully you'll get to enjoy being outdoors more. When are you going to Burgess Falls?
Yeah....we got a couple of the twists

We're going to Burgess Falls first thing Saturday morning. I probably would have preferred Friday morning, but we want to make it to Muddy Pond on a weekday in time for lunch.

Just had dinner at Thomas Andrew's...a nice, cozy little restaurant with excellent food at very reasonable prices. Not a bad Bloody Mary either

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Yeah....we got a couple of the twists

We're going to Burgess Falls first thing Saturday morning. I probably would have preferred Friday morning, but we want to make it to Muddy Pond on a weekday in time for lunch.

Just had dinner at Thomas Andrew's...a nice, cozy little restaurant with excellent food at very reasonable prices. Not a bad Bloody Mary either
I'm so glad you're supporting the local business owners! While the list of national chain restaurants in Cookeville is impressive for a town that size, I'd much rather go to places like Thomas Andrew's and Crawdaddy's. And, of course, Ralph's Donuts.

Have fun at Muddy Pond! I hope you won't be disappointed. Some people are a little disappointed because Muddy Pond is a small community and they were expecting something more Disney-ish.

Don't forget to take some pictures to share with us.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
I'll certainly post some pictures.

I always avoid the national chain restaurants when I'm traveling. I don't have anything against them. After all, they DO provide jobs and most provide good food...but what's the point in going on vacation and eating at the same places you have in your own neighborhood.

We're staying at one end of "restaurant row" and I can't think of very many national chains that don't have a presence here! Still, we'll just be driving past them this week. Too many others still not crossed out on the list you provided. The difficult part is deciding which ones to NOT visit on this trip!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Ralph's Donuts where it located in Cookeville. I'm a "Homer Donutaholic"

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 AM

181 posts, read 692,336 times
Joe,

Another direct message sent.

Roger

Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Ralph's Donuts where it located in Cookeville. I'm a "Homer Donutaholic"
It's at 59 South Cedar in downtown Cookeville, about a block south of the Depot. I know people from Knoxville who drive all the way there for their butter twists. AAAAHHHHHH (I'm trying to imitate Homer drooling while thinking of doughnuts...)

Pic found at flickr.com.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM

Joe, We feel the same way about chain restaurants. One place I don't believe has been mentioned here is Maddox Station at Spring and Washington. Only open for lunch Mon. - Sat. and dinner Thur. - Sat. Excellent food. Enjoy your stay in the area.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMTN View Post
Joe, We feel the same way about chain restaurants. One place I don't believe has been mentioned here is Maddox Station at Spring and Washington. Only open for lunch Mon. - Sat. and dinner Thur. - Sat. Excellent food. Enjoy your stay in the area.
I've heard Maddux Station is good, too. I mentioned it a few posts ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/4758397-post7.html

Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Sorry JTM I guess I just missed it. We have eaten there several times and have not been disappointed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville