Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I'm native to Tennessee and to the Upper Cumberland....I don't say "vul."
There's always one special one ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,842 times
You flatter me....had to comment on your incorrect generalization about Tennessee diction.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 26,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
My daughter saw the name and said cook-ee-ville, and well, I am not sure if that is correct or not.
pronounced " COOK-VILLE "

Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,930 times
When we came to look at houses here before we moved, my wife and I talked to the agent, who was a lifelong resident about the way she pronounced the name of the town. She said it like, Cook-vull, but almost with the k silent. Try as we might, we can't say it like that. Being from Texas, it sounds right to say Cook-Ville, with a bit of Texas drawl on the end.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,842 times
Whoever your agent was can't speak very well then.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Kook ville
That's the way my 5 year old grandson says it! We keep correcting him, but he seems to be stuck on "Kook ville".

He's never been there....but I'm fixing that tomorrow. We're taking him to Gatlinburg, and plan to stop off in "Kookville" for lunch, and maybe a visit to Burgess Falls. I'd like to see Cummins Falls, but that may be a little too much of a hike for him before we head on east.

I'm hoping he really likes "Kookville" so he can convince his parents to move there! I'm retiring in 6 months, and had originally hoped to move to Cookeville once I retired. That was before he was born, though - and I'm not yet willing to move 4 hours from him! His parents would fit right in....Dad is a Nurse Practitioner, Mom is an LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) - so an area with such a great medical center would be perfect...

Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
That's the way my 5 year old grandson says it! We keep correcting him, but he seems to be stuck on "Kook ville".

He's never been there....but I'm fixing that tomorrow. We're taking him to Gatlinburg, and plan to stop off in "Kookville" for lunch, and maybe a visit to Burgess Falls. I'd like to see Cummins Falls, but that may be a little too much of a hike for him before we head on east.

I'm hoping he really likes "Kookville" so he can convince his parents to move there! I'm retiring in 6 months, and had originally hoped to move to Cookeville once I retired. That was before he was born, though - and I'm not yet willing to move 4 hours from him! His parents would fit right in....Dad is a Nurse Practitioner, Mom is an LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) - so an area with such a great medical center would be perfect...
I think if you have time to visit just one park, it should be Burgess Falls since the hike there lets you see three waterfalls instead of just one. But I hope you can make it to Cummins Falls someday--maybe soon after you and your grandson and his parents move to Cookeville!

PS Don't forget to stop at Ralph's for some doughnuts while you're in town...

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-17-2013, 06:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Native Tennesseans pronounce it "Cook-vul."

Man... I knew I wasn't going nuts. My family and dad (TN natives, family's been in the Upper Cumberland area for almost 300 years) all say "Cook-vul" (and "Mcminn-vul", "Smith-vul", etc). The one thing that has me scratching my head is... they say "Nashville", not "Nash-vul". When I pointed this out to them, they all thought I was being nuts and said I was hearing wrong-- they won't be convinced otherwise. But even my Seattle native husband noticed.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post

Its probably too late but if you happen to stop by JMT's favorite spot, Ralph's donuts, take your grandson over to the depot for a visit. My grandkids loved to hang out there when they were that age.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Man... I knew I wasn't going nuts. My family and dad (TN natives, family's been in the Upper Cumberland area for almost 300 years) all say "Cook-vul" (and "Mcminn-vul", "Smith-vul", etc). The one thing that has me scratching my head is... they say "Nashville", not "Nash-vul". When I pointed this out to them, they all thought I was being nuts and said I was hearing wrong-- they won't be convinced otherwise. But even my Seattle native husband noticed.
How do they pronounce Fayetteville? Our neighbors (Van Buren County) were trying to tell us about a place there when we bought our house. For the life of us we could not understand what in the world they were saying. It wasn't even remotely anything that sounded like Fay-et-ville, which is how we pronounce it. We've found a lot of words with them like that. Their accent is so thick that some times we just have to smile and nod.............

We are Cook-ville pronouncers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville