Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 01:13 PM

258 posts, read 790,573 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone in Cookeville might send me a recent (yellow pages) phonebook of the area and also a sunday local paper with classifieds? I know they exist online but it's more inspiring to hold them in your hand and browse at your leisure. Are there rental guides or real estate magazines for Cookeville also? I will pay all postage. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 PM

115 posts, read 319,296 times
I do not currently live in the area but the chamber of commerce should be willing to help you out. Cookeville Chamber

American Way real estate and First Realty put out monthly magazines with real estate listings.
American Way Real Estate Company Advanced Search
First Realty Company, Cookeville Tennessee's #1 Real Estate Company

If you contact the local newspaper directly (Herald Citizen) they will probally send you a free Sunday paper.
Herald-Citizen Online Edition - Cookeville, TN

If these links get cut just PM me and I will send them to you directly.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Thank you. I actually asked the chamber about a phone book already and couldn't get one. So if anyone around there might like to send one out to me, let me know. Thanks for the real estate info and newspaper, I contacted them and asked for the paper & mags. Much obliged- tennesseedreamin/noelle

Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,002,512 times
Are they sending you the newspaper? If not, let me know and I'll pick one up tomorrow for you. As for the phone book...I'll have to see if I can find one where no one is watching

Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
Thank you. I actually asked the chamber about a phone book already and couldn't get one. So if anyone around there might like to send one out to me, let me know. Thanks for the real estate info and newspaper, I contacted them and asked for the paper & mags. Much obliged- tennesseedreamin/noelle

You are welcome. If you need any help on certain areas to live or avoid or any questions in general don't hesitate to ask. I don't live in the area ( past year) at the present time but I did live in the area for 30 + years. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Are they sending you the newspaper? If not, let me know and I'll pick one up tomorrow for you. As for the phone book...I'll have to see if I can find one where no one is watching
I don't know if they're sending me the paper or not. I wrote them but haven't heard back. Thanks for your help

Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
You are welcome. If you need any help on certain areas to live or avoid or any questions in general don't hesitate to ask. I don't live in the area ( past year) at the present time but I did live in the area for 30 + years. Good luck.
Actually yeah! I'd like to know where to avoid and so on. I'd like to know about neighborhoods within walking distance of town. Is there a busline? We're pretty low income, at least here in Ca we are where everything is so expencive you're lucky to have two pennys to rub together after the rent is paid, so low rent will be a plus. I'm not a snob, we don't need a fabulous place so don't rule out older neighborhoods, unless they're bad. Thanks, I really appreciate it. I just hope that THIS time we actually make it there!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Cookeville does not have busline. How much are you looking to spend for rent? What part of town do you want to be within walking distance? Downtown, restauraunt row, hospital, shopping (Sears, Belk, Goody's). Cookeville has a lot of nice neighborhoods and very few bad ones. Let me know what you are looking for and I will try to point you in the right direction. Do you have kids that will be making the move? Married? Retired? etc....

Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,002,512 times
tennesseedreamin....PM me your address and I'l mail you the Sunday newspaper - I picked up two of them today just in case

Having just spent a few days there, I can give you the opinion of an "outsider".

As with any older area, the sections near downtown are a mixture of types of houses. You might find a large restored Victorian near a small neglected cottage. There are some areas north of downtown that have some spectacular older (and expensive) homes. Same is true southeast of downtown (Maple, for example). The area immediately south and southwest of downtown is where you'll more likely find a cheaper house. If you go further out from the city center, the prices tend to get a bit lower...you know what they say about location! Lots of folks want what we want...a nice affordable home close to everything in a nice neighborhood...so supply and demand dictates that those will carry a larger price.

I found the prices comparable to Memphis....although property taxes are much, much lower.

The city has everything you probably need or want. I didn't think of anything I would miss. No Costco....but they have Sams Club. No Home Depot, but they have Lowes. Pretty much all the chain restaurants are present (conveniently located right next to each other ), but the selection of local establishments is impressive for a town that size.

The absolute best thing about the city is the people. Everyone we met was outgoing and friendly....from the shop owners to the guy working at the convenience store. Not one rude or unpleasant experience from anyone while we were there.

We'd be there tomorrow....if we had jobs....and if our house in Memphis was sold...and if our kids would move there so we wouldn't be 4 hours away from our new grandson!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Tennesseedremin
I can send you a phone book. We have extras here at work. DM me if you still need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville