Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,660,439 times

Advertisements

Drive up to Historic Rugby. Pretty drive and great place to visit.
Historic Rugby, Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 AM

445 posts, read 1,682,772 times
Default a visit in April?

did you rsvp for the forum get together?
I should have come online BEFORE I booked out May weekend to Tennessee. We wanted to meet with builders but most of them said February was their fishing month so we are going up in the spring.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times
I don't know much about FFG, though it seems nice. A green (organic) grocer just recently opened on Peavine Road, near FFG. The Crossville area is a great place, growing quickly and with some nice new businesses downtown. In the historic downtown area there are: a great coffee shop/art supply store, a Southern Living magazine-style interior design home decor (in a beautifully restored building), an old drugstore with a soda-fountain where you can still buy a malt, a tea shop in the restored railroad depot, a good shoe store, and two new restaurants (which I haven't tried yet). There is also Ruthie's Antiques, which is in a nice old house surrounded by a cool fence. I go to Crossville about 4 times a year, and each time it seems there are more new businesses. Of course, you also have the big box stores for the necessities: Lowe's, K-mart, Walmart (though I'm not fond of it), Staples, etc. There are also some chain restaurants including Ruby Tuesday, Cracker Barrel, fast food joints, and they just opened a Dickey's Barbecue. There is a new 10-screen theater.

A couple of miles outside downtown are the Stonehaus Winery (on Genesis Rd. at I-40) and Simonton Cheese Shop (to the south on Hwy 127). You can sample wines and every type of cheese before buying. I particularly like driving around the Homestead area, 4 miles south of Crossville. It was a 1930's WPA developed farming community, and there is a stone tower in Homestead that serves as a museum. Within the community is a really nice state park. There are nice hiking trails and an excellent southern-food buffet at Cumberland Mountain State Park.

To the west of Crossville on I-70 is the critically acclaimed Cumberland County Playhouse, presenting world-class theater productions. To the east on I-70 is Ozone Falls.

Ok, that should keep you busy for your 4 days, and that doesn't even include all 10 of the golf courses and the other stuff to do in Fairfield Glade!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 24,339 times
My wife and I went to FFG last year with the intent to check it out for a possible retirement location. We were not disappointed. I don't know where you guys are staying (we rented a condo in FFG) but if you are staying in FFG and you golf, take advantage of the opportunity. The courses are beautiful. If you are thinking about retiring there, you might want to get with a realtor to show you some properties. There are some really good buys right now. Also I would reccomend that you look at attending a play at the Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 98,046 times
Default Fairfield Glade visit in April

I want to thank everyone for the comment's. We will be meeting with a relator while there. If I find a building lot that I like. I might buy it for the future. It sounds like the market it just right for that in the whole country.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
You may want to research POA's and HOA's before your trip......

Old 03-16-2008, 06:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHjr View Post
I want to thank everyone for the comment's. We will be meeting with a relator while there. If I find a building lot that I like. I might buy it for the future. It sounds like the market it just right for that in the whole country.
If you are going to talk with the FFG Realtors (as opposed to Century 21, etc) make you carefully read the contract and understand the provision for selling a lot if you change your mind. Ask questions about it and make sure you understand it. When we were there the contract read that if we changed our minds and wanted to sell we had to sell it back to FFG Realty at the SAME PRICE WE PAID FOR IT.

I've had others here disbelieve my statement, but we specifically asked about it and the Realtor told us it was true.

Other than that I think you'll like it. We liked it so much we bought a lot there. Great area. We know someone who lives there and she (and others we talked with) told us that unless you turn down offers you won't have any time to yourself. Plenty of clubs, activities, etc available. They're building a medical facility there on FFG donated land, adding helipads for emergency airlifts, have their own police and fire departments, 2 pools, one adult only, rec center, no wake lakes, golf courses.

You can search the forum for posts by me about FFG and see some pictures of our lot.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,546 times
Default FFG Home Purchase

My husband and I purchased a home in FFG two years ago. We are seasonal residents, which makes it harder to make friends. We are young retirees; 51 and 56.

The people in Crossville and FFG are lovely, friendly, and generous. Now that we are through the "moving in" phase, we hope to be able to reach out and cement new friendships. I cannot emphasize enough, however, that the majority of residents are quite a bit older than we. There are some families with school age children although they are few and far between. There are other young retirees beginning to move into FFG, which is good news for us.

I know that some say that those who live in FFG are snobby. This really isn't true...although we all know a few. Most people are just glad to be retired and living in a gorgeous part of the country.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 AM
jmk

15 posts, read 46,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 508brighton View Post
My husband and I purchased a home in FFG two years ago. We are seasonal residents, which makes it harder to make friends. We are young retirees; 51 and 56.

The people in Crossville and FFG are lovely, friendly, and generous. Now that we are through the "moving in" phase, we hope to be able to reach out and cement new friendships. I cannot emphasize enough, however, that the majority of residents are quite a bit older than we. There are some families with school age children although they are few and far between. There are other young retirees beginning to move into FFG, which is good news for us.

I know that some say that those who live in FFG are snobby. This really isn't true...although we all know a few. Most people are just glad to be retired and living in a gorgeous part of the country.
A survey of 80 new residents to FFG in the last year showes the average age of:
Oldest person is 63.3 years
2nd oldest is 59.2 years
Both persons 61.6 years

Eight couples (10%) had an average age of less then 55
45 couples (56%) had an average age of 55 - 64 years

When we moved here seven years ago (age 62) we were surprised by the number of young 70 year olds we met. Folks here are active and stay young. Check out the number of Senior Olympic qualifiers come from FFG.

Our biggest problem is getting over committed with activities. I also suspect we tend to have lots of good friends in lots of different groups (golf groups, dancers, card players, church etc) which takes its toll on developing really close relationships. Many of our good friends we only see once or twice a month. That doesn't stop us from spending time traveling with them, getting to know there family's, helping and getting help when needed. Most of us don't have their families close by so our neighbors become our families. FFG is a great place to live but, keep it a secret.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:32 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,772 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakelima View Post
I would run from any realtor from Fairfield Realty. I live here and absolutely love the place. Get a good independent realtor that will show the entire area not just what Fairfield Realty wants to sell. Great place to live.
We have dealt with Rocky Top Realty and I feel comfortable recommending them if you are looking for a name or Pat Usher. You can google her name she is with another realty company in Crossville but either of those two are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville