Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 12,449 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I am ready to move to tennessee can not stand being here in Orlando florida anymore the public school system is a mess and My son has been in christian school since 3 years old. They say that tennessee has good school we have decided in cookeville or algood area? We want to buy but will be renting in algood till we can find the right area? Please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennette View Post
Hello:
I am ready to move to tennessee can not stand being here in Orlando florida anymore the public school system is a mess and My son has been in christian school since 3 years old. They say that tennessee has good school we have decided in cookeville or algood area? We want to buy but will be renting in algood till we can find the right area? Please help?
The elementary school in Algood is actually a very, very good school. It's actually a K-8 school that became wildly popular the day it opened, so a new addition was just built and opened this week.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 14,952 times
I second Algood School. I don't think you would be disappointed. Also, Algood area has plenty of nice neighborhoods and homes to choose from and it's basically Cookeville's less developed conjoined twin. they are so close together, the separation is nearly imperceptible. If you have some money to spend, I would look at White Plains Plantation when you get ready to buy. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 15,512 times
Algood school is wonderful, and so is Capshaw elementary. We have a new school being built which will open next Fall (Prescott Elementary), and it will have the same k-8 model as Algood school.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymaegogo View Post
Algood school is wonderful, and so is Capshaw elementary. We have a new school being built which will open next Fall (Prescott Elementary), and it will have the same k-8 model as Algood school.
The new school will be nice but they have already stated it will be strictly zoned. North of Spring St. will go to Avery Trace, south of Spring will attend Prescott. At least that's for the middle school kids( I realize the child is 8 so that wouldn't apply), but if the middle school is zoned you'd think the elementary side might be also. I hope not but with the popularity of the K-8 model they'll probably end up having to zone it like they have Algood(not actually zoned, but kinda restricted...)

firepower

Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 PM

55 posts, read 128,954 times
If you want your child to attend Algood you have to live there!! They only take exeptions on special needs kids like my son.I have lived in Cookeville since Dec.2007 and have children in all age groups so last year I had one in elem.,middle and highschool and all my children were happy.Right now Cookeville has soft zoning but next year the zoning will become more intense so when you get here it would be a good idea to find out about it.Not all realtors know about where and when so rely on yourself to obtain the info.When are you planning on moving here? if you need some more info you can IM me

Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Default I have a question about the K-8 model

Why is so popular and so widely-accepted? Just curious.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMom View Post
If you want your child to attend Algood you have to live there!! They only take exeptions on special needs kids like my son.I have lived in Cookeville since Dec.2007 and have children in all age groups so last year I had one in elem.,middle and highschool and all my children were happy.Right now Cookeville has soft zoning but next year the zoning will become more intense so when you get here it would be a good idea to find out about it.Not all realtors know about where and when so rely on yourself to obtain the info.When are you planning on moving here? if you need some more info you can IM me
hello due to our home just got sold and it so short time for school are my husband found a rental for 6 months and the school will be Jere whittson any thoughts on this school? Please advise

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennette View Post
hello due to our home just got sold and it so short time for school are my husband found a rental for 6 months and the school will be Jere whittson any thoughts on this school? Please advise
Jere Whitson was just rebuilt from scratch--it burned down in an electrical fire 2 years ago just a few weeks before the end of the school year. Tennessee Tech University let the school meet in its basketball arena until they could find a more permanent location, then a large Baptist church in town let them use their Sunday School wing for the rest of the school year.

Then the old Algood School (which by then had become a training facility) was quickly renovated so Jere Whitson could meet there until Jere Whitson could be rebuilt.

What does all that mean? It has galvanized community support for Jere Whitson. Businesses and regular citizens donated pickup trucks and manpower to help Jere Whitson move into their new building a few weeks ago. Teachers and administrators cried at the overwhelming show of support from the community.

Jere Whitson is a fairly small school with only about 300 students. I believe a large percentage are Hispanic. It's in a very blue collar part of town and has a pretty high rate of students receiving free lunches. But the people in that neighborhood are fiercely loyal to and proud of their elementary school.

At greatschools.net Jere Whitson got a score of 7/10 which is pretty good, definitely better than most elementary schools in the counties surrounding Cookeville.

I would not hesitate to send my kids to Jere Whitson. It's not as large or as flashy as some of the other elementary schools in town, but it's a plucky little school that has amazing teachers, loving administrators, great kids, and wonderful parents.

YouTube - Camp Jere Whitson

Jere Whitson Opens New School | UC Daily News Cookeville, Tennessee | Local and Regional (http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/local/52920952.html?video=YHI&t=a - broken link)

Students Return To School Burnt Down - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -

Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM

1,387 posts, read 3,434,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Why is so popular and so widely-accepted? Just curious.
All the schools start and end at the same time in Putnam County. So, If you have children in the 2nd grade, 5th grade and 7th grade...you will be driving to 3 different schools. In the K-8 model...you would only have to drive to one school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: