Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM

219 posts, read 811,219 times

Advertisements

mmm...Mikdeetx...then you don't know much about Rockport do you...I know for a FACT these things happens...but as usual..believe what you want...everything I stated is not a rumor..these are things that have happened...but of course your pride won't allow you to admit it does happens...it's amazing that you won't believe facts from people that are involved in the actual investigations...oh well...so be it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
O.K, people know your facts and statistics. What do you want them to do? Run screaming away from South Texas with their arms in the air looking for a teen pregnancy, totally crime free city somewhere? It doesn't exist. If someone likes where they are at, they will stay. So, there's crime and such. Maybe the ones who stay will do something to try and change it. Running away doesn't accomplish much, unless you're in imminent danger.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
i've gotta say ...... spent a LOT of time in the 70's, 80's and 90's in the rockport area..... my mom actually bought a house there in about 1982 or so.... sold it when i moved her here in 1998..... i never felt like i was in any kind of imminent danger from drug lords or dealers or any of the other assorted and sundry criminals that johnbain is so up in arms about. my mother had a large circle of friends in her age range and they all led active lives and i honestly cannot recall anyone being harmed by any criminal element.... and one would think that the more defenseless "seniors" would be a prime target.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM

196 posts, read 640,695 times
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
I used to have a buddy who got mugged and beaten three times in a large city in Texas. Each time he was mugged, it was in a particularly bad area. I asked him on each occasion exactly why he was in such a bad area so late at night.... He kept going back for whatever the chemical of the week was. He didn't survive the 4th one.

For 20+ years, I've lived in one of the statistically most dangerous cities in California yet have somehow managed to avoid being attacked. My brother-in-law was robbed at gunpoint a few years ago in a bad area late at night. I didn't bother to ask him why he was there. Personally I suspect he lost his cash at a card table in Chinatown and figured the robbery story would prevent his wife from tearing his ears off.

Anyway, the point is that sometimes trouble will find us no matter what but if we go out looking for it, trouble will come for sure.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikdeetx View Post
It's hard to get a job here and due to the cost of gas, I cannot look elsewhere. I've been laid off for 4 months so bring your job with you when you come to Rockport. I did but got laid off after 2 years here. The average wage is $9 an hour and I collect more in unemployment.

johnbain sounds like a very negative, defistist person. I would take everything he said with a grain of salt. I know of no teachers who are also druggies, dealers but I do know a dealer turned preacher. He's been one for 12 years.

Wait until 2009 to buy a home in Ingleside or be prepared to stay there at least 10 years before building equity. Like I said, since I live in a mobile home park, I only pay tax on the home, not the land. At $210 a year without homesteading the property, it's a good deal.
Why 2009? Is that because of the naval base closing then and the homes will drop more in value? We have heard that and might wait to buy after we see what happens with the market.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Why 2009? Is that because of the naval base closing then and the homes will drop more in value? We have heard that and might wait to buy after we see what happens with the market.
Most of the market gurus are saying that home prices will stabilize in 2009. The theory is that homes still have a long way to fall and that people should wait to buy.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Well thanks that is good to know. We are going back and forth between Ingleside, Texas and St. George, Utah. Can't decide if we want the ocean around us or the beauty of the red rocks.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Well thanks that is good to know. We are going back and forth between Ingleside, Texas and St. George, Utah. Can't decide if we want the ocean around us or the beauty of the red rocks.
In some parts of Utah, doing business or getting a job is highly dependent on your social connections and what organization you affiliate with. I'd go visit for awhile. That desert can get really cold and lonely and dry....in more ways than one.

I may be a bit biased because I really dislike the desert. As far as I'm concerned, the desert is a great place to ride a dirt bike for a day or two and then I go back to the water where I belong.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
In some parts of Utah, doing business or getting a job is highly dependent on your social connections and what organization you affiliate with. I'd go visit for awhile. That desert can get really cold and lonely and dry....in more ways than one.

I may be a bit biased because I really dislike the desert. As far as I'm concerned, the desert is a great place to ride a dirt bike for a day or two and then I go back to the water where I belong.

I agree a job could be difficult but we are moving after my husband retires in 3 years. But I love the beach as I grew up in CA in Santa Cruz but I just wasnt totally sold on the beach in Corpus. The other thing pulling me back to Utah is that 4 of my 5 kids are in the Salt Lake area so it would be a little closer to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi