Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdIQ View Post
I had a big flash back to CC today when I passed a new convenience store which was called Maverick. Remember the Maverick Market chain of stores? It gets even stranger... I recalled the owners name, Erich Wendl... it must have been on advertising or those coupons they handed out for free ICEE's, so I did an internet search and discovered he passed away 4 or 5 years ago. We would collect returnable bottles and use that with some left-over lunch money to buy a Coke or an ICEE after school. I had forgotten about the cowboy on the sign until I found this picture.
Going through this thread today and this post struck me as something I would have to comment on. Erich Wendl was involved either as a German Consulate or as an advisor to them back in the 70's, he helped my Mother receive her German social security back in the day, which was a great boost to her financially. She never stopped mentioning him in her conversations with me until the day she passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:56 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenhillBC View Post
Who could forget Charlie St. John, the weatherman on Channel 3 in the 70s?
I remember reading that he used to make off color comments like: "Alice (town) got 4 inches yesterday"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres
Does anyone remember the name of the water park in CC? If I remember correctly it was right next door to a Maverick Market.
Aqua throwaway 7

It was called "Aqua Thrillway". It lasted roughly 1979-80. I can't honestly say that there was anything around it at that time. It sat in the middle of an empty lot. After it closed, there was a driving range there. The closest Maverick Market to there was at Nile & McArdle.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,620 times
Does anyone remember the name of singer who played the guitar sometimes at The Cantina or Coopers Alley in 1977/78? Thanks. Pam

Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfelt View Post
Does anyone remember the name of singer who played the guitar sometimes at The Cantina or Coopers Alley in 1977/78? Thanks. Pam
Shake Russell?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfelt View Post
Sam Neely?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Sam Neely?
Sam Neely is a good guess. He used to play regularly at a club on So Alameda near the old Burger Chef at Everhart & Alameda, as I recall.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,148 times
Default The old Texas Bar B Que House

If I am not mistaken Sam Neely use to play regularly at a club located near the Texas Bar B Que House located at Carroll Lane and SPID.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,487 times
I grew up in CC from 1963 until I moved to California in 1987. Went to Meadowbrook Elementary (Beavers), Cullen Jr. High (Colts and worst school ever!) and then King High School (Mustangs) graduating in 1979. Graduated from A&M in 1984. Haven't been back in a long time but I remember how blazing hot the summers were. Things I remember well:

1. Maverick Markets - ICEE's and baseball cards.
2. Buccaneer Bowl - best greasy fries and cheap bowling.
3. Parkdale Library - had a grassy ditch in front that you could run or roll down very fast.
4. Price's Homemade Ice Cream - best banana splits
5. Jaime Hendershot - cutest girl in 1st grade! Hi Jaime if for some reason you ever see this...I still crush on you!
6. Pizza Hut near King - many skipped classes to go eat pizza and best french dressing.
7. Officers Club swimming pool at Navy Base - the best!
8. My High School Girlfriend - she broke my heart!!
9. Hurricane Celia
10.Padre Island, especially the part where you had to have a four wheel drive car to continue.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:37 AM

25 posts, read 84,712 times
Default Celia

I remember Hurricane Celia way too well! We almost died near Calallen and it tore the bumper off my MGB. It was only a category 3 but had deadly category 5 "microbursts".

Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM

17 posts, read 49,567 times
Default Celia

We lived in an old house in the Lindale subdivision. Watched Celia blow through sitting on the front porch. We only lost a few trees and some shingles but I do remember the devastation and feel for the folks that lost a great deal in that storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi