Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,625 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and my husband were thinking about going on a cruise around Caribbeans...I was wondering did any of you have experience with ANY cruising "destination", how did you like it...?This would be the first - time "cruise" for me and my husband...Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Caribbean Princess last Feb. Also our first. I was a skeptic for years. I'd go again in a minute!

St. Thomas: We took a sail and snorkel. It was not a cruise trip, we went off on our own. If you look on line you'll find quite a few. Instead of 30+ people and a crowded snorkel site, there 6 max and an almost deserted site. The catamarans have no shade, the one we were one had a place to get out of the sun. Really, really enjoyed it. I mean really.

St. Martin: Took a bus tour. Interesting, but probably could have found something better. Went shopping after the tour. Wife and jewelry. Me and tagging along.

Loved the ship (don't call it a boat!). Huge. Plenty to do. Lot of friendly people. If you can afford one get a balcony room. Really nice to sit out and watch the ocean go by. Lots of stars out there we don't see in our cities.

Here's our mascot. Started out as a way to see our room from port. It was never on the correct side in port. Never saw him! Ended up as a travel mascot on all trips. This is Crabby in KC MO last spring. As you can see he's a bit of a drinker.

Crabby

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/Crabby.jpg (broken link)

Try this site for help. A lot of help.

Cruise reviews, message boards, bargains, cruise information - CruiseCritic.com (http://tinyurl.com/ljcvo - broken link)

Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,280 times
My first trip to the Caribbean was on a Carnival ship and I had a great time. I enjoyed Carnival so much my friends and I went on another Carnival ship, this time to the Mexican Riviera (Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo).

For my Caribbean trip we went to:

Bahamas: Toured around, went to the Atlantis resort (which was awesome)
Puerto Rico: Went on an wonderful tour of El Yunque national forest
St. Thomas: Toured around the city but took an earlier tour and snorkel of St. John, which is just gorgeous. When I jumped into the water, it was warm and wonderful.

Like Tek_Freek mentioned, you can take an additional tours for extra costs.

Have a great time when you go!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,625 times
Thank you so much. Other opinions welcome...As soon as I can rep again, I'll leave you reps, both of you have been very helpful!!!Cute picture!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Love cruising and have been on 2 to the Caribbean.

San Juan - left from here. Ok - stay in the tourist areas. Old San Juan is neat.

St. Thomas - shopping area was ok, it's not supposed to be all that safe. We took a bus to Maegan's Bay which was very nice.

Grenada - skip it. One street of shopping which you can only buy spices.

Guadeloupe - must not have made much of an impression b/c I swear I don't remember much of it! LOL

Venezuela - avoid Caracas - EXTREMELY dangeous. We took a tour to a rainforest which was a lot of fun.

Aruba - ok, I liked Aruba. VERY windy! Built up, Americanized. I just liked the beach and how safe it seemed. We went scuba diving and parasailing (which is AWESOME).

Bermuda - this was a cruise from NYC - Bermuda is beautiful but most cruises only go here and back.

Really though - you can't go wrong with the destinations you choose. The cruise part to me is the best part and the destinations were secondary.

I've also been (not cruising) to Barbados, Cozumel, Caymans, Tortola and really the only one I would not go back to is Grenada - seriously NOTHING to do. You'll have a great time regardless!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
It's a carefree trip. You just wake up someplace different every day. Very relaxing and fun.

You don't have time to see anything in depth but you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and drive either.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:00 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times
Great thread- I'm also a first time cruiser...I've looked at a couple of short cruises (4-5 days) and I'm thinking of going with Royal Carribbean in Jan of '08. Does anyone have any experience with this cruise line? I'm a single 20 something, not necessarily looking to meet anyone but I'm going with friends. I'd prefer to cruise with people my age or older-- hopefully not too many little kids running around.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Great thread- I'm also a first time cruiser...I've looked at a couple of short cruises (4-5 days) and I'm thinking of going with Royal Carribbean in Jan of '08. Does anyone have any experience with this cruise line? I'm a single 20 something, not necessarily looking to meet anyone but I'm going with friends. I'd prefer to cruise with people my age or older-- hopefully not too many little kids running around.
We just went on a Royal Carribean cruise on the Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas. We had a great time, but we did bring our kids. There was quite a mix of people on the ship, everything from kids, teens, 20-somethings, and on up to seniors. There is really something for everybody. By the adult pool and in the clubs you had the younger people (20s) partying and trying to pick each other up, (which was actually quite amusing to watch as a married 37-year-old). The kids have their own program, and there never seemed to be too many underfoot. Teens have their own areas, as well, and they do have a strict enforcement of the drinking age, so you don't have a bunch of obnoxious drunk teens running around. If you want peace and quiet, there are lots of spots for that, too. The ships are so big that it really does not seem that there are 2500 people on board.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
Prettygyrl777
We just got back from our 2nd cruise with Royal Caribbean the first was to the western caribbean this last one was to Alaska.

On the caribbean cruise we met many single folks traveling with friends. I have also cruised on carnival. IMO I prefer Royal Caribbean you just can't beat the service.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,298 times
Are you thinking Eastern or Western Caribbean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises