Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times

Advertisements

Myself and some good friends are all planning a trip to South Florida in February 2009. We are entertaining the idea of taking a 3 day cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas.

Do you think we would get a better deal if we book now, or can you get better deals as you get closer to the sailing date? I know that the cruise industry may slow down a bit as a result of the economy. Do you think that cruise lines will offer specials as we get closer to the sailing date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
If you book now you'll get a fair deal, possibly a great eal, and will be able to guarantee the room you want, air fare etc. If you wait until the last minute deals, you will have to compete with 1000's of others for whatever they have available, which could be inside rooms or obstructed views, lowest deck, front or rear rooms. It's a crapshoot.
Yes there are many cancellations at the last minute. Especially with the economy as it is now. We're on lists for last minute deals, but as said above most have been either to destinations that I'm not interested in or the rooms are the un-desirable ones.
Best to call the cruise line for more details or a travel agent knowledgeable on last minute deals.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Ships require the manifest to be complete a couple days before sailing, so don't expect to walk up to the pier and buy a ticket! They won't let you do that anymore!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:55 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
I think you should first decide what your priority is - cost above all or the details of the trip. If you're deciding to put price first, be willing to have any scenario included, from inside rooms to a view of a bulkhead, having to catch the next week's sailing, etc, you may be able to get a better price. You might get a great stateroom too.

However, if you want a particular type/location of stateroom, or you want to have certain details included for sure, you may want to just book now. When I'm booking the big annual vacation, I prefer to get all the details in a row the way I like and tend to book way in advance. The "last minute" trips I usually treat as a "why not" sort of trip where the price/timing is right.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I have a friend who took a similar cruise last year and loved it. I think that I would book now for a better stateroom.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,841 times
Thanks, everyone! I think the consensus is to book early. I guess I better get busy!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
My friends and I decided last year that we were going to take a cruise ANYWHERE in November. Last week we booked it- we got a ticket that when we first started looking was $1,140 for a 7 day cruise to thr Panama Canal for $300. We knew we would take the last minute deal and go anywhere lol so if you wanna save money and have the flexibility to travel at a moments notice, do last minute travel. Oh and we got a $250 on board voucher to use for whatever we please!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times
I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it’s not about the individual but it can be with everyone
bleapeheal
Cheapdeals

Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
I am a big cruise enthusiast, and in my experience, cruises are booked well in advance, and their prices don't really fall. I've monitored cruise prices in the past and attempted to cash in on "hot deals", but it seems the cost one week before a cruise is exactly the same as 8 months before. Booking early, however, definitely has advantages, such as a wider choice of rooms (the one time I decided to wait for a last-minute deal, I ended up in an inside cabin -- ugh, yuck, bleh), more time to receive and correct documents, etc. I'd say the earlier you book, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises