Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times

Advertisements

I have never been on a cruise and am considering it now. However, I will be traveling alone. Are the prices all double occupancy? I am checking last minute cruises as my vacation is less than a month away. Also, how much money would I need to plan on above the quoted price of the cruise? I live 4 hours from departure city so would drive to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Yes, the prices listed are per person for double occupancy. As a single, you will either need to have a friend come along or pay extra in the form of a single supplement to get a cabin to yourself. You should be able to find the single supplement cost listed on the cruise line’s website.

How much additional money you’ll need will depend partly on what is included in the price for the cruise (usually you’ll want to buy a drink package, and tips for the crew are usually not included in the price, nor is dining in any specialty restaraunts), and partly on what you choose to do during port visits.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Several cruise lines have ships that offer cabins specially built for singles. NCL even had them with their own lounge area for singles/solo travelers.

Occasionally, single supplements will be reduced to 150%. I remember princess used to do this, but I haven't looked in years.

Best thing you can do is to get involved with a GOOD travel agent. That would be the thing to do to assure you get the best price and, more importantly, help you find a cruise that will fit what you want and enjoy. As a solo traveler, I think it's REALLY important to consider your preferences.

Big box and big online travel agents have their place, and I use them. But I've been on 20+cruises. As a first time cruiser, you should not use them. You would be FAR better off with a different type of travel agent.

PM me if you want a recommendation for a very good, personalized Agent. (Other frequent posters on this forum also use her.)

Old 09-15-2018, 07:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I've been on multiple cruises and my next one will most likely be solo.

I would recommend you go vacations to go dot com. In there, they have a link that will show you the price for traveling solo. That way, you'll see the real number without having to estimate for the single supplement.

Then, after you find a cruise you like, you can book through their agent or from the cruise line. It's a great place to compare prices across different dates, places, and cruise lines.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've been on multiple cruises and my next one will most likely be solo.

I would recommend you go vacations to go dot com. In there, they have a link that will show you the price for traveling solo. That way, you'll see the real number without having to estimate for the single supplement.

Then, after you find a cruise you like, you can book through their agent or from the cruise line. It's a great place to compare prices across different dates, places, and cruise lines.
I think Vacations to go has a TERRIFIC search engine. Just great, and I use it often. But I won't use them again for booking a cruise, and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend them for an inexperienced cruiser.

New cruisers will greatly benefit from a good, personal travel agent who specializes in cruises. Experienced cruisers can use big, online travel agencies - but there are MUCH better ones that VTG, both in pricing and customer service.

For mass market cruises, booking directly with the cruise line rarely produced the cheapest deal (Note I said "deal" not price. Two different things when discussing cruise pricing.)

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think Vacations to go has a TERRIFIC search engine. Just great, and I use it often. But I won't use them again for booking a cruise, and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend them for an inexperienced cruiser.

New cruisers will greatly benefit from a good, personal travel agent who specializes in cruises. Experienced cruisers can use big, online travel agencies - but there are MUCH better ones that VTG, both in pricing and customer service.

For mass market cruises, booking directly with the cruise line rarely produced the cheapest deal (Note I said "deal" not price. Two different things when discussing cruise pricing.)
We booked our first cruise using a website. I guess it all depends on the needs of the person. I don't see the benefit of having a cruise agent unless one is afraid or gets overwhelmed by options. I hope you aren't shilling for your friend.

As far as deals vs price, I don't drink so I don't care about drink packages. I never go to any of the upcharge specialty restaurants, and I know how to research the best deals with onboard credits.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I did not use a travel agent for my first cruise and still haven't after going on many! Cruise line websites give plenty of information and there are many ways to contact them directly so ask questions. I just don't see the point of using agents these days with the accessibility one has to online information.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM

326 posts, read 199,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I did not use a travel agent for my first cruise and still haven't after going on many! Cruise line websites give plenty of information and there are many ways to contact them directly so ask questions. I just don't see the point of using agents these days with the accessibility one has to online information.
I'd agree. I've done the same. I really thought travel agents went the way of Blockbuster video... killed off by the accessibility of the internet.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 AM

When someone asks the kind of questions asked by the OP, they need some assistance beyond the extensive research available on line. Clearly, the OP knows nothing about cruises and probably very little about traveling in general. I'd say that's somebody who really should get some personal assistance from a human that they can talk to BEFORE they shell out thousands of dollars.

The travel agent that I would have recommended is not my "friend" and I'm not "shilling." She is someone that I used several times. Her advice and expertise save me a lot of money, endless hours of time and disappointment during those cruises when I was a newbie, or sailing on a cruise line with which I was unfamiliar. Both of which describe the OP.

We can agree to disagree, but I will continue to say that inexperienced cruisers will have a better result if they use a good TA. Experienced cruisers are a different community entirely, and usually don't need a TA.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Cruises are priced "per person" BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. So, consider that the cabin is double the "per person" price. Very few lines have "solo" cabins...and those that do rarely are "1/2 price" of a standard cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises