Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,279,384 times

Advertisements

The latest from Seattle is a total of 296 cruises to Alaska for the 2022 season, starting April 11.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/port...ason-296-calls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 12:32 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,080,080 times
Planning a cruise over the past 12 months has been a roller coaster ride, for sure! Last May, we booked a fantastic cruise with NCL, originating in Amsterdam, stopping once in Brugge, Belgium, and then making two stops in Norway and three in Iceland. We had booked hotel rooms for before and after the cruise, as well as excursions on our own, after the cruise and during our extra days planned in Reykjavik. We made payments during the course of the year, and everything was paid in full a couple of months ago. Embarkation date was August 15, 2022.

We were especially excited because this was to be the maiden voyage of NCL's newest ship, the Prima. We anticipated some special perks and fun events to celebrate the maiden voyage.

Then - uh oh! - I received an email on April 27, 2022, informing me that, sadly, the cruise had to be canceled due to supply chain issues. We were so disappointed. But we were not angry. The cruise line is presently unable to procure furnishings and equipment to complete the ship. The world is such a mess right now; can't blame the cruise line for canceling. I feel sorry for the thousands of employees and vendors affected by the cancellation.

Good news, however, is that NCL's email stated that 100% of our money would be refunded, PLUS we were offered a 25% extra discount for our next booking (in addition to the best advertised deal). The refund would be processed within 30 days and then we'd receive the refund within 7-10 business days after that. Amazingly, we received our full refunds (my boyfriend and I split costs between our two accounts) less than one week after the date of the email letter. I'm impressed!

Even better news is that we have already booked our new cruise. We found a great deal on a 9-day cruise from Athens to several Greek isles and three ports in Turkey, and we were able to use our extra 25% off that deal. Since we've already received our refund from NCL, we were able to pay for entire trip without any financial burden. So we're good to go!

Cancellations stink, but in our case, it worked out just fine. We may lose a bit of money on a couple of our events booked on our own (not through NCL), but it won't be too bad.

We went from very excited about the Norway/Iceland cruise to very disappointed about the cancellation to very excited about our Greek isles/Turkey cruise. Yay!

PS - Some of you were talking about Alaska cruises. We almost booked an AK cruise through NCL, as they have some fantastic deals right now while trying to book the remaining staterooms. As of a few days ago, they had some "spa suites" available for their August AK cruises for a price that was less than the price for the smallest balcony stateroom. If you can travel this August and you want to cruise to AK, you may want to check out the cruises NCL has to offer.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:50 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,866,297 times
I've never been a huge fan of NCL, but it's TERRIFIC to hear of their positive, customer friendly policies.

IF we ever book a other cruise, I will remember this story.thanks, PJ Saturn, and enjoy your trip. Sounds like a wonderful itinerary!

Old 05-08-2022, 06:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Planning a cruise over the past 12 months has been a roller coaster ride, for sure! Last May, we booked a fantastic cruise with NCL, originating in Amsterdam, stopping once in Brugge, Belgium, and then making two stops in Norway and three in Iceland. We had booked hotel rooms for before and after the cruise, as well as excursions on our own, after the cruise and during our extra days planned in Reykjavik. We made payments during the course of the year, and everything was paid in full a couple of months ago. Embarkation date was August 15, 2022.

We were especially excited because this was to be the maiden voyage of NCL's newest ship, the Prima. We anticipated some special perks and fun events to celebrate the maiden voyage.

Then - uh oh! - I received an email on April 27, 2022, informing me that, sadly, the cruise had to be canceled due to supply chain issues. We were so disappointed. But we were not angry. The cruise line is presently unable to procure furnishings and equipment to complete the ship. The world is such a mess right now; can't blame the cruise line for canceling. I feel sorry for the thousands of employees and vendors affected by the cancellation.

Good news, however, is that NCL's email stated that 100% of our money would be refunded, PLUS we were offered a 25% extra discount for our next booking (in addition to the best advertised deal). The refund would be processed within 30 days and then we'd receive the refund within 7-10 business days after that. Amazingly, we received our full refunds (my boyfriend and I split costs between our two accounts) less than one week after the date of the email letter. I'm impressed!

Even better news is that we have already booked our new cruise. We found a great deal on a 9-day cruise from Athens to several Greek isles and three ports in Turkey, and we were able to use our extra 25% off that deal. Since we've already received our refund from NCL, we were able to pay for entire trip without any financial burden. So we're good to go!

Cancellations stink, but in our case, it worked out just fine. We may lose a bit of money on a couple of our events booked on our own (not through NCL), but it won't be too bad.

We went from very excited about the Norway/Iceland cruise to very disappointed about the cancellation to very excited about our Greek isles/Turkey cruise. Yay!

PS - Some of you were talking about Alaska cruises. We almost booked an AK cruise through NCL, as they have some fantastic deals right now while trying to book the remaining staterooms. As of a few days ago, they had some "spa suites" available for their August AK cruises for a price that was less than the price for the smallest balcony stateroom. If you can travel this August and you want to cruise to AK, you may want to check out the cruises NCL has to offer.

The Greek Isles and Turkey are going to be amazing!

Old 05-08-2022, 08:14 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I love cruises but with people being quarantined in their rooms with awful service I have decided not to take anymore.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:21 PM

25,795 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I love cruises but with people being quarantined in their rooms with awful service I have decided not to take anymore.
Good decision! We just went through that w/ travel pals & it was the worse thing I've ever seen.

~10% of the ship was imprisoned in their cabins, and leaving the ship as soon as we got to a port with a real airport.

You don't know squat until you live through it, or are traveling w/ people who are.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:16 AM

700 posts, read 447,523 times
I'm having a hard time understanding the shock and surprise that the cruise industry is still having covid issues, and might not be the best bet for a vacation right now.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:22 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,018,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Good decision! We just went through that w/ travel pals & it was the worse thing I've ever seen.

~10% of the ship was imprisoned in their cabins, and leaving the ship as soon as we got to a port with a real airport.

You don't know squat until you live through it, or are traveling w/ people who are.
I understand that it's frustrating beyond words that your friends were quarantined - and I understand completely about how it changed the nature of the trip, but can you be more precise about why it was HELL? I'm not trying to be a pain and there are the obvious inconveniences of being sick, even when not presenting symptoms. But knowing that one could get sick at any time as well as knowing the rules for getting sick with Covid, what was the issue? Truly not trying to be obtuse here - but being "stuck" in your cabin doesn't sound like the end of the world to me - not in today's world anyway.

If the cruise line tried to make it better with future credits or something of that nature, isn't that a nice thing? It's not THEIR fault one got sick with the virus? They're following the rules - your friends probably did, too - but still, stuff happens all the time and most of the time, no one shells out cash or future credit because one is inconvenienced.

Your comments just made me think that something really horrible happened so details would help my perspective, I'm sure.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:47 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,465 times
I agree that it would seem obvious that beach43ofus has made it abundantly clear over many threads that they are not in the market for a cruise. We get it. Move along.

In my instance, Putin got my scheduled cruise cancelled this week. Princess is abandoning the entire Baltic cruise season as it has St Petersburg as an overnight stop along with several stops that border Russia. Not thrilled about this idiot and his war but I get why Princess pulled the plug. On to planning something else with the future discount.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:52 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,018,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
I agree that it would seem obvious that beach43ofus has made it abundantly clear over many threads that they are not in the market for a cruise. We get it. Move along.

In my instance, Putin got my scheduled cruise cancelled this week. Princess is abandoning the entire Baltic cruise season as it has St Petersburg as an overnight stop along with several stops that border Russia. Not thrilled about this idiot and his war but I get why Princess pulled the plug. On to planning something else with the future discount.
Yes, beach43ofus is really upset - s'pose I won't get my answer?

Oh wow, what a bummer! Yea, they're just being safe so from that perspective, fine - but what a disappointment to not be able to go. My parents did that cruise (can't remember which line) along the Baltic - from St. Petersburg to Copenhagen, I think - and everything in between. They were gone about 3 weeks. I really hope you can reschedule - sorry, not sorry to say, that Putin is ill and maybe something will happen sooner than later. I hate to speculate - but I hope you can find something spectacular until you get to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises