Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
500 employees is NOT a small business.
Sure it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
There may be problems with Obamacare, but this country is not going back to the system we had before. I hear rightwingers constantly criticize the President's plan. The problem is they have no real solutions of their own to offer other than "let's just leave things the way they were".

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There may be problems with Obamacare, but this country is not going back to the system we had before. I hear rightwingers constantly criticize the President's plan. The problem is they have no real solutions of their own to offer other than "let's just leave things the way they were".
The system we had before? From what I'm hearing, there is no difference, outside of higher costs. Obamacare is going to make things worse than they were before. The younger folks who may not have purchased insurance are going to take a $1,000 or so hit, meaning less money to pay off student loans, spend in the local economy, etc.. Employers are going to see insurance costs rise as mandates to cover a yearly physical, birth control, and not denying the very sick will clearly cost them more.

Rush Limbaugh had the perfect fix. You take all those with serious illness that are the bulk of the problem and give them a government ran pool. These are people with cancers and other aliments that have a very high costs associated with them. Given the amount of taxes the gov. puts in, the overall costs would be minimal. These folks could pay $100-$1,000/month based on income, plus reasonable co-pays as well. This is exactly the plan we needed, but of course the goal at the time was complete government take-over. I think Obamacare was a planned failed attempt in hopes that people beg for a complete government takeover of healthcare. That is until their income taxes go up 10%, 20%, or maybe even more.

The issue wasn't healthcare as a whole was bad, it was that there was a small % of people eating up a huge % of the services. I work for a large employer that has about 17,000 or so employees. Most spouses and families were on the insurance, at it was very affordable. Prices have went up drastically, though still affordable. The biggest issue was that 8% of those covered were actually responsible for 85% or more of the costs. We are talking about $200,000,000 in healthcare costs that were dolled out for my company. Even if you take out the evil insurance company, and cut the ludicrous seven figure wages of hospital admins, I would bet you would cut only around $10,000,000 from that figure. Maybe fixed costs of services could also help, but then you are not only talking cutting wages for healthcare admin types, but also doctors, nurses, etc..

Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
It's ironic that it is delayed until after the 2014 elections. Hmmm?

My healthcare deductible went from $250 a year to $5,000 a year and now they only cover 80% of the approved amount AFTER the $5,000 and my premiums doubled. This was to help pay for Obama care.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Individuals will still be able to purchase health insurance from the state/federal exchanges . Coverage is starting 1/1/2014. There will be no preexisting existing rules and nobody will be turned down for coverage.

This is the single biggest part of ObamaCare and it's not delayed.

People will begin comparing plans and enrolling via the exchanges in less than 3 months.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
They have delayed it so that the democrats do not have to run in 2014 with that burden on their shoulders.

People have to ask "why" did Obama postpone this if it is so wonderful and WHY did they reveal this news on 4th of July weekend? For some reason they have a tendency to reveal things when no one is paying attention. Like how they rammed through the health care bill on Christmas eve.

FYI it was revealed over the holiday weekend that there will be an "honor" system with enrolling into Obamacare. No ID's will be required. But they did say "later on down the road they would be checking ID's but they don't have time for it now."

Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
I love how the anti-Obamacare people are only good for snarky remarks and never offer anything constructive in the debate. I'm as fiscally conservative as it gets but I recognize that affordable healthcare is critically important to the economy and something has to change. Rates can't keep going up like this & most of the problem is we are all paying for people who skip on their bill. We desperately need a way to get people covered and also to cut out waste & fraud in the healthcare sector

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I love how the anti-Obamacare people are only good for snarky remarks and never offer anything constructive in the debate. I'm as fiscally conservative as it gets but I recognize that affordable healthcare is critically important to the economy and something has to change. Rates can't keep going up like this & most of the problem is we are all paying for people who skip on their bill. We desperately need a way to get people covered and also to cut out waste & fraud in the healthcare sector
I'm barely making ends meet and my rates look to go up $60 a month through the exchanges for the same coverage. Which means that everyone else in my economic position - and there are a lot of us - will be in about the same boat.

Hail Obamacare.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm barely making ends meet and my rates look to go up $60 a month through the exchanges for the same coverage. Which means that everyone else in my economic position - and there are a lot of us - will be in about the same boat.

Hail Obamacare.
Did Iowa post their rates? Please show the link. I would like to see the prices for the Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze premiums.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Delayed ? unworkable ? who knows ? IMO it will never take off ...

story here
BBC News - US delays introduction of key healthcare provision

and here
Obamacare Employer Mandate Delayed For One Year
While the stories you link to get it right, you DO know that your thread title

Obamacare now delayed till 2015

is a lie, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events