Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:44 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times

Advertisements

this is why i don't donate money. you are better off donating your time at a food kitchen or something.

You have to remember that every charity has overhead that it needs to pay off. (rent, electricity, internet, human resources, supplies, etc.) So your $$ does not always go to the people or issue.

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 09-02-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 PM

454 posts, read 793,531 times
Used to donate lotsa $$ to many charities... you send $25 and they send you a mug, tote bag and a "thank you" letter asking for MORE money! PLEASE stop sending me mugs, 500 mailing labels and totes! Use that donation i sent toward the charity!

now i only give to animal shelters that rely on volunteers, and/or have a small overhead with no corporate CEO's or big-wigs! I also check out their website (most usually have one) to see if it's a legit humane organization

Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
You have to remember that every charity has overhead that it needs to pay off. (rent, electricity, internet, human resources, supplies, etc.) So you $$ does not always go to the people or issue.
This is a short-sighted attitude which displays an appalling ignorance about the way businesses -- let alone non-profits -- work. People have to do the work at non-profits, and they have to have a place and tools to do it:
  • My internet connection allows me to research prospective donors without a time-costly trip to the library, and without money spent making copies of information and documents I need to approach donors for contributions.
  • The social workers who visit families need computers to write their reports and to assess each family's progress and outcomes. They also need a desk on which to set the computer, and a telephone to make contacts to resources that will help the families.
  • People in residential care need other people to care for them. Those caregivers have to be paid, and the rent on the residence must be paid.
  • And since the lights have to go on, the phone bill and rent must be paid, the computers must function, and the copier paper has to be ordered, we pay an office manager and a bookkeeper.
  • Since employees need to be paid and are offered benefits, we employ human resources professionals.
Non-profits are like any other business, except that they don't show a profit at the end of the year. Why anyone would think that the work does itself -- and in the dark, no less -- is baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLuvsToTravel View Post
PLEASE stop sending me mugs, 500 mailing labels and totes!
You do realize that you can opt out, don't you?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is a short-sighted attitude which displays an appalling ignorance about the way businesses -- let alone non-profits -- work. People have to do the work at non-profits, and they have to have a place and tools to do it:
  • My internet connection allows me to research prospective donors without a time-costly trip to the library, and without money spent making copies of information and documents I need to approach donors for contributions.
  • The social workers who visit families need computers to write their reports and to assess each family's progress and outcomes. They also need a desk on which to set the computer, and a telephone to make contacts to resources that will help the families.
  • People in residential care need other people to care for them. Those caregivers have to be paid, and the rent on the residence must be paid.
  • And since the lights have to go on, the phone bill and rent must be paid, the computers must function, and the copier paper has to be ordered, we pay an office manager and a bookkeeper.
  • Since employees need to be paid and are offered benefits, we employ human resources professionals.
Non-profits are like any other business, except that they don't show a profit at the end of the year. Why anyone would think that the work does itself -- and in the dark, no less -- is baffling.

These non=profit should stop selling a lie. When the majority of the funds do not go to the cause then what is the point??? This is a scam. Plain and simple.

America's Worst Charities

Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
That absolutely is the point. You don't want to donate to a charity where the top people are making a killing at the expense of the people who they supposedly are helping out. I understand business overhead, but I don't want huge paychecks and perks to distort that overhead.

Don

Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
These non=profit should stop selling a lie. When the majority of the funds do not go to the cause then what is the point??? This is a scam. Plain and simple.

How is paying a front-line direct care worker in a group home $20,000 a year a scam?
How is paying a licensed therapist to counsel troubled children and their families a scam?
How is paying a bookkeeper to pay the bills a scam?
How is providing internet service to employees (which allows people to do their jobs more efficiently) a scam?

Money spent buying computers for social workers so they can write reports is going "to the cause". Paying their mileage so they can visit families in their own homes is going "to the cause". Equipping the office with electricity is going "to the cause". Just because your narrow-minded views can't see it doesn't make it so.

Get your head out of your butt. People provide services to other people. You wouldn't work for free; why would you expect someone at a non-profit to do so?

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 09-03-2013 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM

454 posts, read 793,531 times

Yep, sure do! I stop donating to that organization. If they are collecting so much $$ they can afford to waste it on printed junk to send to donors, they don't need my contribution

Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times
I won't contribute for many reasons to 99% of the charities. I am appalled that Wyoming has a minimum limit out of every dollar that goes to the said charity. It is 17 cents. Someone gets 93 cents out of every dollar that people give them for running the business.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,447 times
Quote:

You can't opt out. No matter how much I ask charities to stop, the crap keeps on coming. They spend more on junk, the postage and paper begging for more money than I sent them in the first place! I expect a charity to be grateful, not greedy, and there are very few I want to support anymore.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,180 times
Quote:

How is paying a front-line direct care worker in a group home $20,000 a year a scam?
How is paying a licensed therapist to counsel troubled children and their families a scam?
How is paying a bookkeeper to pay the bills a scam?
How is providing internet service to employees (which allows people to do their jobs more efficiently) a scam?

Money spent buying computers for social workers so they can write reports is going "to the cause". Paying their mileage so they can visit families in their own homes is going "to the cause". Equipping the office with electricity is going "to the cause". Just because your narrow-minded views can't see it doesn't make it so.

Get your head out of your butt. People provide services to other people. You wouldn't work for free; why would you expect someone at a non-profit to do so?
Some people are annoyed that most of the money goes to the "top dogs", and not those who need the services, or the "underlings" who work for them.

Everyone needs to make a living, even if it's at a charity, but for the heads of it to make so much $$$??? That is sooo greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events