Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would have noticed if they were not bagged as to the gloves.
Except in Alameda County,CA plastic bags are banned and they have a mandatory charge for paper bags so most people do not get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Sorry you had to go though that
Especially if you were not doing anything to cause them to follow you.
Was This Home Depot?

Exactly.
Actually, it was Kmart! The guy kept asking me what I'd done with the VHS tapes I'd "stolen". (This was back in the mid-80's.) At that time, I didn't even have a VCR! And I didn't remember looking at the tapes at all. It was just weird; I was only browsing.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Making shoplifting expensive for the shoplifter is an excellent way to reduce it. If courts would lock people up for significant periods it would be even better but they won't. Let's work to have people thrown into jail for a year for stealing a pair of gloves. When that that begins to happen I believe that these "victims" will somehow no longer have clerks not seeing their "purchases".

Then there's always the good old back room for some immediate justice.
But you are suggesting that everybody stopped by store security is actually shop lifting. This case is a perfect example of why it is extortion. If this guy wanted to steal the gloves he would not have put them on top of the lumber.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
The Fry's Electronics here do the receipt checking thing as well, which is why I no longer shop there. I get that they have shop lifting problems, but accusing every single one of your customers of stealing isn't the way to resolve the problem.
The club stores like Costco and Sam's are a little different. For the most part, it would be difficult to actually shoplift much, since most things are pretty big or are multipacks. Maybe you could stuff a piece of clothing down your pants, but most times I'm at Costco, it's pretty busy. Too many sightlines to make shoplifting a sure thing, I'd think. When I was a member at Sam's in Tucson, it was the same way.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But you are suggesting that everybody stopped by store security is actually shop lifting. This case is a perfect example of why it is extortion. If this guy wanted to steal the gloves he would not have put them on top of the lumber.
EXACTLY ... if he put them "absentmindedly" in his pockets, yes that indicates guilt but if he put them on top of the lumber that absolves him of anything criminal, it's an oversight on the employees part ...

Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I would like to see Home Depot's lawyers tell a judge why a guy who bought $1500 in lumber needed to pay them over $600 for $8 worth of gloves that most likely their own cashier just forgot to scan.

What is also troubling is that the store security was able to detain the customer - in handcuffs! They should have called the police. If, by chance, the rent-a-cop was a sworn officer in his day job, all the more reason he should have known better.
They were probably only "able" to detain the guys because they willingly went back in the store with him. I would have told him it was a mistake and he could have the gloves or $10 and if he touched me or continued to harrass me I would be happy to call the police for him and I would be the one filing charges.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
The Fry's Electronics here do the receipt checking thing as well, which is why I no longer shop there. I get that they have shop lifting problems, but accusing every single one of your customers of stealing isn't the way to resolve the problem.
You're perfectly free to think that, but it doesn't bug me if they're checking everyone. Best Buy does it as well as does CostCo.

I had a Target employee chase me down as I was leaving when I took my grandmother shopping. My guess is I got "made" when I spent several minutes opening boxes looking for a car charger (people are constantly stealing either the cable or the part that plugs into the cigarette lighter) for one that still had both parts. I even left all the boxes out and told an employee. No good deed goes unpunished. After thoroughly checking both of our receipts against the content they let us go. Definitely awkward standing there for several minutes with people walking by.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
Yes, we are talking here about the big box stores. Yes, people will say "Oh they can afford some losses." But who pays for these losses? WE DO! And don't forget, countless businesses have gone under due to shoplifting. If you do not want to risk the humiliation and possible arrest, DO NOT SHOPLIFT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
California law allows merchants to do pretty much anything they want if they think you're shoplifting, besides strip-search you or shoot you, unfortunately.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Reason number 31,490 not to live in CA.
Good, we don't need more criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events