Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting article. I can certainly see how this gentleman would put the gloves on top of the lumber and probably expected that they had been rung up.
when I buy a bunch of stuff from a place like Home Depot I don't always take the time to check my receipt for every item and if I do it is to make sure I am not overcharged, certainly not undercharged. I hope consumers in California win in this case.

Page 2: Home Depot Harassing Accused Shoplifters Into Paying Fees, Lawsuit Claims - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
C'mon you can tell whether or not the clerk rings up an item. Where was this guy?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM

222 posts, read 471,114 times
Things must be totally different in California than Oregon. My sister-in-law is a Home Depot manager. She says they can't even engage a suspected shoplifter. Just the other day she said a guy was seen by two employees pushing a cart full of merchandise out the garden center door. He had a tarp covering several Dyson vacuum cleaners, which apparently are a hot item to steal. When the bells and whistles went off he made a dash to his pickup where he unloaded the merchandise. One employee did ask to see his receipt and was later reprimanded. The two employees, per store policy, wrote down his license plate number and truck description. The store manager called the police.

My sister-in-law is not aware of Oregon Home Depot's having security guards. They have a loss prevention shrink person who goes to several stores in the district but he is hardly a security person.

She was not aware of the shake down policy described in the news account. But, she said anything is possible with the different state laws. She thinks if they are breaking the law they'll correct it. They aren't perfect.

I found this which is the other end of the shoplifting spectrum:
Home Depot employees fired for pursuing shoplifting suspects - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
Reason number 31,490 not to live in CA.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Reason number 31,490 not to live in CA.
As if you needed the other 31,489!

But yes...this kind of harassment is obscene. Makes me think twice about shopping at Home Depot at all.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Some thing is just not adding up in this story.
The Camera's at most retailers are usually there to watch employee's,not thieves.
If Loss prevention starts watching you,it's usually because you're acting really strange or unusual.This guy paid for $1500.00 dollars worth of stuff,Yet got detained for $4.00 worth of gloves
Most of the time the company would just yell at,or fire the cashier(if this wasn't her first offense)

Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
I would like to see Home Depot's lawyers tell a judge why a guy who bought $1500 in lumber needed to pay them over $600 for $8 worth of gloves that most likely their own cashier just forgot to scan.

What is also troubling is that the store security was able to detain the customer - in handcuffs! They should have called the police. If, by chance, the rent-a-cop was a sworn officer in his day job, all the more reason he should have known better.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
C'mon you can tell whether or not the clerk rings up an item. Where was this guy?
Not necessarily; if you are with someone else and are chatting, you might not notice.

A few days ago, we were charged twice for a gallon of milk - the cashier thought she'd forgotten to ring it up, and so rang it up again separately - we never noticed until we got home and checked the (long) receipt. We were loading the conveyor.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:22 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The Camera's at most retailers are usually there to watch employee's,not thieves.
If Loss prevention starts watching you,it's usually because you're acting really strange or unusual.This guy paid for $1500.00 dollars worth of stuff,Yet got detained for $4.00 worth of gloves
Most of the time the company would just yell at,or fire the cashier(if this wasn't her first offense)
I'd love to know what I was doing to get dragged into store security office once, way back when. The security guy searched my handbag, asked me where I'd put various items I supposedly stole, etc. Then he banned me from the store, even though I hadn't taken anything. My (blind) then-husband went to the store manager to tell him the story, which was confirmed by the security manager, and informed him that he shopped there frequently and would need a dedicated employee to help him if I was not allowed back.

The store manager allowed that I could come back and shop. I kept seeing the security guy standing around wherever we walked in the store. I made sure to give him my biggest cheesy grin and a cheerful "Hi!" every time we passed by.

So, no. Apparently, browsing can be enough to get you watched.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:39 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
$1,400 worth stuff will do it. And yeah, items were in the cart on top of the merchandise. You wouldn't put them there if you weren't intending for them to be rung up. Whenever I'm loading lumber, they go in my back pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events