Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Report: Adam Lanza had 'no feelings' - NewsTimes

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1528626

The long awaited report has come out but there still seems to be no answer. For those who were expecting to find out why he did it, it's still undetermined. He killed his own mother, then went to a school and killed students and teachers and then killed himself.

It's natural to wonder why, and to wonder what went wrong and how this tragedy could have been prevented. It's obvious his mother was not equipped to handle this extremely mentally ill individual but what did she have as recourse? No one could reach him, he had no feelings. The article says that he ruled the house.

The article says he had medication but he didn't take it, she bought him a gun for Christmas, he had video games that portrayed school shootings. In hindsight it's a recipe for disaster. There are many factors at work here--not just guns, not just mental illness, not just parenting. What do you think could have been done to prevent this from happening? Where did the mother, the system, the entire family, the community go wrong?

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-26-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Usually when we talk about things going wrong, we look for blame and nobody likes to be blamed. I could make it sound nicer and ask "What were the lines of defense?" but that would still imply blame if the defense was not there.

Instead I look at it as this, --- if that line of defense was not there, what would have been the next line of defense? But that starts to become complicated because if the help is not wanted, how do you give it without crossing boundaries?

So the first line of defense failed and that was the parenting part. After that it becomes much more difficult to fix the problem because of the rights that are granted to citizens, such as this mother.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Report: Adam Lanza had 'no feelings' - NewsTimes

Inside Adam Lanza's lair: Newtown shooter plotted own death, obsessed with Columbine shooting, report details - NY Daily News

The long awaited report has come out but there still seems to be no answer. For those who were expecting to find out why he did it, it's still undetermined. He killed his own mother, then went to a school and killed students and teachers and then killed himself.

It's natural to wonder why, and to wonder what went wrong and how this tragedy could have been prevented. It's obvious his mother was not equipped to handle this extremely mentally ill individual but what did she have as recourse? No one could reach him, he had no feelings. The article says that he ruled the house.

The article says he had medication but he didn't take it, she bought him a gun for Christmas, he had video games that portrayed school shootings. In hindsight it's a recipe for disaster. There are many factors at work here--not just guns, not just mental illness, not just parenting. What do you think could have been done to prevent this from happening? Where did the mother, the system, the entire family, the community go wrong?
I'm not sure any one did anything wrong as many kids get given guns and dont then go out and massacre a bunch of school kids.
His mental problems seemed to be being dealt with through drugs and doctor visits,
i cant see any laws that would have prevented this tragedy as you cant lock people up before they actually commit a crime of this nature.
I'm at a loss to come up with a solution to this type of crime..

Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Why are Lanza's eyes so big and dilated in every photo of him on the news reports?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
I don't think we will ever know some answers here. What bothers me is the fact that knowing he was "different" Mom gave him access to guns. I really get my hair up when I read of the video game depicting school shooting.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"What do you think could have been done to prevent this from happening? Where did the mother, the system, the entire family, the community go wrong?"

Dingbat mother who appears she was crazy as well.

Schools, knowing they are all potential easy targets, not having the most basic of basic entrance security to prevent unauthorized entrance into the building. (that basic security would be a turnstyle arrangment with security card, along with locked classroom doors during class times.) Also to add, one or two trained first repsonders school staff members that can be armed for such an emergency.

This is part of making schools a hard target.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I don't think we will ever know some answers here. What bothers me is the fact that knowing he was "different" Mom gave him access to guns. I really get my hair up when I read of the video game depicting school shooting.
Since this tragedy occurred I have thought at every glimpse we get of the mother, and all we seem to get are glimpses, that this woman seemed to be facilitating very bizarre behaviour on the part of her son.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
[i]"
Schools, knowing they are all potential easy targets, not having the most basic of basic entrance security to prevent unauthorized entrance into the building. (that basic security would be a turnstyle arrangment with security card, along with locked classroom doors during class times.) Also to add, one or two trained first repsonders school staff members that can be armed for such an emergency.

This is part of making schools a hard target.
He did have to shoot out a locked door. In our area there is now an armed person in each school. I would hope that schools offering JROTC would have live ammo locked but available quickly to the ROTC instructors also.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
He did have to shoot out a locked door. In our area there is now an armed person in each school. I would hope that schools offering JROTC would have live ammo locked but available quickly to the ROTC instructors also.
That was not a security door, just a simple door, to keep honest people honest.

No need for an armed person in a school, just have a few trained staff members that can access a weapons safe in the event of an emergency. Have a security plan, and practice it.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think we see clearly time after time that the standard where a person can be held as a danger is way too high. One can pretty much predict a long record of metal problems in these case when they happen. It therefore appears to be the standard of when a person is danger to be held against his /her will. That is either changed or we will continue to see mentally ill dangerous people carry out such acts. Just the fact that if taken the person can be given controlling drug eliminates the standard of imminent threat being applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events