Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't think we're looking for anyone to blame. We're trying to find out how this could be prevented in the future.
Yes, I guess we are also looking for answers and understanding.

But again, in this case I simply don't think there are clear answers. When you are dealing with mental illness, I don't believe there's a cut and dried answer. This act was so heinous and so disordered you just can't attach a rational explanation to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Yes, I guess we are also looking for answers and understanding.

But again, in this case I simply don't think there are clear answers. When you are dealing with mental illness, I don't believe there's a cut and dried answer. This act was so heinous and so disordered you just can't attach a rational explanation to it.
It is complicated but if the mother had not provided access to guns and the training to use them...maybe this would never have happened.

I always got the sense that the mother was in heavy denial about this kid's mental illness. I don't recall reading anywhere that he was in any type of therapy.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,074 times
I'm not even sure Adam Lanza did it. The reason I say this is because according to REPORTS, (I'm stressing that because I wasn't there), he entered the school with, (I believe), 2 handguns. Yet, after the shooting when the coroner gave his press conference he said all the victims died from bullet wounds from a high powered assault rifle. However, later that evening, police removed Lanza's assault rifle from the trunk of his car. Stop and think about what I just said. When officers arrived at the school they captured somebody in the woods near the school. Once they had this person in custody, this person was placed in the FRONT seat of a police cruiser. When you are a suspect, you don't ride in the front seat of a police cruiser!!! We probably never will know what actually happened, but never rule out our own government! Our government has done shady sh*t in the past so it wouldn't be the first time. In the late 1800's/early 1900's our military was ordered, and followed through with the order to slaughter a school full of native American children. The news media won't tell you this because they think its more important to report what Lady Gaga is having for lunch. I was not working the day of the shooting, but I do remember the news reports constantly changing. There wasn't very many photos on the internet either, which in today's day and age is unheard of. I'm just saying..........

Either way, a very, very sad event

Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It is complicated but if the mother had not provided access to guns and the training to use them...maybe this would never have happened.

I always got the sense that the mother was in heavy denial about this kid's mental illness. I don't recall reading anywhere that he was in any type of therapy.
It seems that firearms were always important to the family, according to reports both mother and father took their sons out shooting from a relatively early age. So perhaps if there hadn't been that culture in the family along with easy availability, this might not have evolved the way it did?

Then again, there are tens of millions of families - and living in Michigan, I know some of them - who grow up with firearms and sport-shooting and hunting, who own guns, and who never, ever harm another human being. Let alone do the heinous evil thing that Lanza did.

From what I've read, I think mom was misguided in her handling of her son. He was apparently in therapy at least once at some point, but refused to take his meds, and she allowed that. She catered to his every whim, if you read the report. She allowed him to call the shots on every aspect of their life.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm not even sure Adam Lanza did it. The reason I say this is because according to REPORTS, he entered the school with, (I believe), 2 handguns. Yet, after the shooting when the coroner gave his press conference he said all the victims died from bullet wounds from a high powered assault rifle. Stop and think about what I just said.
"Lanza brought three weapons inside Sandy Hook Elementary school on December 14 and left a fourth in his car, police said. Those weapons were a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle and two handguns -- a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9 mm." Newtown shooter's guns: What we know - CNN.com

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
"then he should have been placed somewhere." I believe the Mom was considering this from what I have read, and he got wind of it maybe?, and that is what set him into his psychotic break? So sad and tragic all of these shootings. I believe the ongoing confusion fueling conspiracy theories about the types of weapons used may have been based on incorrect first reporting by the press.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:08 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
I am the parent of a boy with Asperger's syndrome. In my experience, this was a disastrous decision.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM

103 posts, read 118,785 times
The more I've read, I'm convinced Adam should have been in a secure mental facility under 24 hour watch. I think there is enough blame to go around, but in the end all we can do is hope to learn from this and make sure it does not happen again. Unfortunately, mental health hospitals are designed for short term care. This boy needed to be locked away.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
The more I've read, I'm convinced Adam should have been in a secure mental facility under 24 hour watch. I think there is enough blame to go around, but in the end all we can do is hope to learn from this and make sure it does not happen again. Unfortunately, mental health hospitals are designed for short term care. This boy needed to be locked away.
"Locked away" sounds pretty drastic but he did need to be somewhere that would have made it impossible for him to have done this. There needs to be more preventive measures and I don't know what they would be. More school psychologists (but there is never enough money), better therapy available, more places available where someone like him could have lived and gotten supervision and help.

The way it was, he was not getting help, the mother was in charge of him and she was not qualified to know what to do. In today's world of violent video games, violence on tv, a major lack of discipline in many homes, dysfunctional families, and so on, too many kids get messed up and need help. Sometimes there's something wrong to start with like a mental illness and other times it's just a formerly normal kid who gets dragged into this craziness. There's got to be more prevention though in the form of help for these people.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not sure any one did anything wrong as many kids get given guns and dont then go out and massacre a bunch of school kids.
His mental problems seemed to be being dealt with through drugs and doctor visits,
i cant see any laws that would have prevented this tragedy as you cant lock people up before they actually commit a crime of this nature.
I'm at a loss to come up with a solution to this type of crime..
I wonder about the drugs. Is there proof he had drugs but didn't take them? Or did he have drugs and take them sporadically?

Or was he given drugs meant for one diagnosis but that should't be given to someone with schizophrenia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events