Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not surprised to find someone like him working for a company that "sounds like an a__.". Let's be realistic, this guy did refuse to fulfill his job duty.
Exactly.

When you take a job in retail or the service industry, you work when others do not, otherwise who will be there to pay for those goods and services?

You work in retail? Expect to work holidays, weekends, evenings and so on. That is the way it is. There are other choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Exactly.

When you take a job in retail or the service industry, you work when others do not, otherwise who will be there to pay for those goods and services?

You work in retail? Expect to work holidays, weekends, evenings and so on. That is the way it is. There are other choices.
or things that CAN be changed,, people getting tired of being dogged out for little pay

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Quote:
Exactly.

So the argument for "That's not the way it should be" is "That's the way it is".

It's almost like I'm watching the conversation in reverse. I'm expecting the real OP to pop up anytime now...

Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He was offered his job back but hasn't decided to take it yet.
Yes. I don't think the company did it because they felt they were wrong. I think they offered the job back because it made the news. It's quite concerning that people (or even an employer) would send the message that it's okay to refuse to do your job and there will be no consequences.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM

there is right then there is RIGHT... sometimes what appears to be good is really not right- and vice versa- again we do NOT know all the details,,, but sometimes you MUST stand UP.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
or things that CAN be changed,, people getting tired of being dogged out for little pay
The get a different job. No one forced anyone to take the job. Or, start your own pizza shop and do things your way.

Lots of people get tired of complainers who after taking a job want things to change. It is ALWAYS after they take the job, strange how that works.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So the argument for "That's not the way it should be" is "That's the way it is".

It's almost like I'm watching the conversation in reverse. I'm expecting the real OP to pop up anytime now...
It is simple. You know the rules and expectations when you take the job. If the rules change you have options, effect whatever influence you have to be part of the change and try to make it better, go along with the change or get a different job.

IF the owners of the company don't want to give you what you want, you have a choice, go along or get out. It is their company, not yours. If they don't make money, you still expect to get paid, no risk on your part.

The way it should be...according to whom? Those running the company get to decide. If you are so valuable, surely there are other companies waiting in line to hire you.

In my comments, "you" is not personal it is generic.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Quote:
It is simple. You know the rules and expectations when you take the job. If the rules change you have options, effect whatever influence you have to be part of the change and try to make it better, go along with the change or get a different job.

IF the owners of the company don't want to give you what you want, you have a choice, go along or get out. It is their company, not yours. If they don't make money, you still expect to get paid, no risk on your part.

The way it should be...according to whom? Those running the company get to decide. If you are so valuable, surely there are other companies waiting in line to hire you.

In my comments, "you" is not personal it is generic.
The point was, you're not even thinking about "should", at all when you essentially say "Oh well, that's how it is!" Sadly, this view does seem representative of employers nationwide, which is why people are complaining about it. I think the people who've replied on this thread have given their reasons why they think restaurants and retail stores should close on Thanksgiving, or why employees should have the option rather than obligation to work on that specific holiday. And frankly, I don't think those defending the employer in this case are giving very good arguments. How, exactly, would it hurt a company in any meaningful way to leave the question of open or closed up to the employees that one day of the year? They can make money any day, but typically, families (particularly when extended family is included) have one shot to all be together for Thanksgiving dinner, and that's on Thanksgiving Day. It's not like we can reasonably expect them and every employed member of their family to luck out on getting the same day off.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
Quote:
Lots of people get tired of complainers who after taking a job want things to change. It is ALWAYS after they take the job, strange how that works.
How are people supposed to know what's wrong with the job BEFORE they're hired?

Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
The get a different job. No one forced anyone to take the job. Or, start your own pizza shop and do things your way.

Because things are right OR not?? --just because it is in effect and widely accepted..does not NOT make it right- for instance, there is a huge problem with illegal workers in restaurants. I know this to be a FACT... so it need to be corrected. There are people forced to work off the clock in restaurants,,,needs to be corrected,, there are people who TIPS are not distributed accordingly. needs to be corrected--and so forth..
YES some times thing need to be changed, so expect it,,, cause nothing stays the same! This business has a lot of good- but also a lot of crap going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events